• September 1st @ The Orioles

Posted by on September 2nd, 2009 · Comments (10)

You can look at this game and do a happy dance, like Nick Swisher and Eric Hinske did in the dugout during this contest after their homeruns, over the fact that the Yankees won this game. Or, you can look at this game and now say that A.J. Burnett has allowed 31 earned runs in his last 42.6 innings – over seven starts.

I’m going the latter route – because that’s the bigger story here. The Yankees will need Burnett to be sharp, in the post-season, if they’re going to advance in October. So, A.J. has about five or six more starts to get himself corrected. That’s enough time – but, the sooner he starts, the better.

Comments on September 1st @ The Orioles

1. MJ
      September 2nd, 2009 | 8:48 am

I agree, Burnett needs to start figuring this out. I will say that his last start (6 IP, 12 K) was encouraging and he probably would’ve come away with the win if not for Phil Coke’s throwing gasoline on the fire and the lineup’s inability to make Texas pay for all those free passes they issues. But that’s neither here nor there…

…Burnett looked off last night and I hope he figures it out soon. I suppose all pitchers go through something like this, though. Roy Halladay hasn’t exact set the world on fire his last few times out there either.

2. YankCrank
      September 2nd, 2009 | 9:01 am

The Yankees will need Burnett to be sharp, in the post-season, if they’re going to advance in October. So, A.J. has about seven more starts to get himself corrected.
      ——

Although he’s been very inconsistent lately, this line you wrote is encouraging. One month and seven starts should be enough time to get him on track, along with Joba and anybody else who will be a significant piece in advancing through the playoffs.

I love how this team can win any kind of game on any given day. but i’d prefer to not have to win a game like we saw last night in October. Neither the Tigers nor any other team will have Chris Ray in October. Too bad, right?

3. MJ
      September 2nd, 2009 | 9:05 am

———
      Every team has guys like that, ours included. Brian Bruney, Phil Coke and Damaso Marte are just as “capable” of getting freakin’ bombed as Chris Ray is.

But I agree with the overall sentiment: you don’t want to have to count on 5 HR in October just to win a ballgame.

4. September 2nd, 2009 | 9:43 am

I wrote:

“So, A.J. has about seven more starts to get himself corrected.”

What was I thinking? It’s more like 5 or 6. And, I’ve edited that now in the post. (I shouldn’t post when I should be sleeping, I guess!)

5. butchie22
      September 2nd, 2009 | 10:08 am

As much as I ‘ve liked Burnout ‘s work for the greater part of this year , this is becoming a bad thing. Look with Toronto, there was the bad AJ and the good AJ and they alternated from time to time. we are seeing the same thing, quite honestly. That win last night couldn’t camouflage AJ’s bad performance. On the whole, he has a month to figure it out, BUT by the time the post season rolls around will he be up to the challenge? No one really knows because he has no sample size in the post season to analyze.

6. #15
      September 2nd, 2009 | 11:08 am

Boy, his delivery looks funky. Coming more 3/4′s (or lower) than earlier in the season when he dominated from time to time. Just not seeing 96 MPH easy cheese. looks like he’s forcing it. Just hope it’s mechanics and not a sore shoulder that he’s trying to pitch around. If his shoulder is hurting him, looks like Joe is in the dark since he ran him out there to start an inning after he’d already thrown 100 pitches

7. clintfsu813
      September 2nd, 2009 | 11:14 am

Nomaas thinks Andy should be the #2 starter in the postseason..AJ is definitely pitching his way into that 3 spot lately.

8. MJ
      September 2nd, 2009 | 11:41 am

clintfsu813 wrote:

At this point, I’d have to agree with that.

9. Evan3457
      September 2nd, 2009 | 2:07 pm

MJ wrote:

clintfsu813 wrote:

At this point, I’d have to agree with that.

Except that, if it’s an ALCS is against the Red Sox, game 2 is at the Stadium, and game 3…is at Fenway.

10. MJ
      September 2nd, 2009 | 2:21 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

Given the way he’s pitched, it doesn’t matter where he’d be pitching, the key would be to minimize him to one start per round, if possible.