• Expert: Yanks Throwing Money Away In Draft

Posted by on September 4th, 2009 · Comments (9)

I just came across this comment made by Baseball America’s Editor in Chief, John Manuel, who specializes in prospects and the draft, that he made on their site on August 17th of this year:

I am of the opinion that the Yankees’ recent draft track record, in terms of the money they throw around at players, has not been fruitful. They overpaid for Ian Kennedy, Andrew Brackman, Carmen Angelini, Dellin Betances, Bradley Suttle . . . I know there are others, and some of the guys they’ve given a lot of money in recent years are off to good starts, such as D.J. Mitchell. But in general, it seems the Yanks aren’t getting huge bang for their bucks in the draft, so signing [J.R.] Murphy for $1.25 million fits that track record. Let’s hope for Murphy’s sake that his career gets off to a better start than those of Angelini, Brackman, etc.

…in general, it seems the Yanks aren’t getting huge bang for their bucks in the draft…

Just another reason why I hope that Theo Epstein’s dream comes true someday…

Comments on Expert: Yanks Throwing Money Away In Draft

1. MJ
      September 4th, 2009 | 8:32 am

Much as I like Cashman, I agree with this piece. I think the Yanks are the midpoint of the Red Sox and Mets in terms of draft strategy. Whereas the Mets have market resources at their disposal that they do not utilize, the Yanks DO spend money on the draft (just like Boston). Whereas the Mets seem to shy away from “signability” players and take a more conservative approach to the Rule 4 draft, the Yanks do not shy away from going after “signability” guys or being aggressive in the draft (just like Boston). Where the Yanks and Red Sox differ however, is WHO the Yanks go after. Boston seems to do a better job of identifying talent and, as a result, seems to win more of the player procurement battles on the Rule 4 Draft battleground.

Assuming for a moment that Manuel is correct in his assertion that Murphy might not have been the best investment, an example of the Yanks picking the wrong guy is in the fact that they could’ve had 4th round catcher Max Stassi — considered the best offensive catcher in the draft — for an extra $25,000 ($1.5M, signed by the A’s). This isn’t to say the Yanks got cheap as much as it is to point to Manuel’s overall point that the Yanks don’t necessarily suck at identifying talent but they’re not as sharp and refined as some other clubs in that regard.

2. jeter96
      September 4th, 2009 | 8:34 am

Mitchell, McAllister, Joba, Austin Jackson, Hughes, Melancon…all expensive draftees thats have had very good success in the minors and some very good success in the big leagues.

But yes, If you cant bash the big club, bash their minor league system. Even though the big club is littered with recent minor leaguers who are now helping the bets team in the sport.

3. MJ
      September 4th, 2009 | 8:39 am

jeter96 wrote:

In Steve’s defense, I don’t think this is bashing the Yanks. OK, the last portion of the post was the usual Cash-bashing on Steve’s part, but I don’t think the main point of the column was so outwardly negative. It’s a fair point to say that the Yanks are spending a lot in the draft (good) but not necessarily bearing as much fruit as some other big spenders in the draft (bad).

4. Corey
      September 4th, 2009 | 9:23 am

I’m actually pretty excited about J.R. Murph..and he started his pro career off in good fashion, to boot, fashioning a .333 BA across 33 AB with 2 doubles and a homer. Not that 33 AB are anything to write home about, I’m just excited….and would be regardless of how he did.

5. MJ
      September 4th, 2009 | 9:26 am

Corey wrote:

I have no issues with JR Murphy and I hope he does great and justifies the bonus money. But it’s a fair point for Baseball America (and Steve) to make, especially in light of the same bonus being given to Murphy when most (if not all) scouts agreed that Stassi was the better player.

6. jeter96
      September 4th, 2009 | 12:07 pm

MJ, my anger was directed at the Baseball America people. Its those types that attack the big club and when they cant do that, they go back to old reliable and attack the minor system.

7. MJ
      September 4th, 2009 | 12:51 pm

jeter96 wrote:

Fair enough and point taken. But I still think it’s a valid criticism, or at least a valid issue for them to raise.

8. ken
      September 4th, 2009 | 2:13 pm

Just another reason why I hope that Theo Epstein’s dream comes true someday…

Steve, the article you link to mentioned the honesty of Cash talking about players. I saw the same thing earlier this year when attending a forum where Cash was the only speaker. He discussed players abilities, moves made and not made, and was surprisingly honest.

9. MOBoy
      September 5th, 2009 | 6:16 pm

Mcallister is injured,Austin isn’t the superstar he looked two years ago,Melancon looks overrated as of right now.And Hughes and JOba have either been injuried or played better as relievers then starters.I mean JOba has a 1.50+ WHIP yet has been here for three seasons.

The point of the piece is the Yankees are spendig more then these guys are worth.And consider some prospects(Joba) aren’t even #1 draft picks getting #1 draft pick money.