• Crossing The Line In Celebration?

Posted by on September 8th, 2009 · Comments (16)

I thought this might be an interesting conversation piece for today…

I heard quite a bit on X-M Radio this morning about the choreographed home plate celebration by the Brewers following Prince Fielders walk-off homerun on Sunday.

The Yankees, this season, with all their walk-off wins, have been bordering on such a thing – with the home plate helmet toss and catch, Burnett’s cream pie facials, etc.

So, here’s the question: As a Yankees fan, if New York pulled a stunt like the Brewers did on Sunday, how would you feel about it? On the flip-side, as a Yankees fan, how would you feel if an opponent staged a celebration at home plate, like the Brewers did, after a walk-off victory?

Now, here’s a twist: If you would be O.K. with the latter – what if it were the Red Sox, or the Mets in an inter-league game, who did the routine at home plate? Would you still be O.K. with it, in any event?

Me? I think most who have been reading this blog for a while know that I’m “old school” and like players, when they’ve done something well, to act like they’ve done it before, etc. Related, I like my baseball without a hip-hop, punk’d, and the like, topping. However, I’ll confess, when I hear stories about the things Bill Veeck did, back in the day, I do chuckle over it. And, perhaps, back then, people thought Veeck was not showing enough respect for the game with all that stuff? So, maybe it’s all relative – and, allowing time to pass, these potential feather-ruffling items will just look silly and harmless in retrospect?

What do you think?

Comments on Crossing The Line In Celebration?

1. Corey
      September 8th, 2009 | 9:58 am

i dunno, i kinda think it’s funny…if it were the red sox, i woulda had the tv turned off by the time the ball landed so it woudln’t have bothered me

2. MJ
      September 8th, 2009 | 10:07 am

I thought the Brew-Crew’s celebration was AWESOME! It was really funny and creative.

I’m sure fans of the losing team wouldn’t like it but I think that’s rooted in the fact that they just lost. Sure, they might say it was because they were “shown up” or something but the reality is that the giant mosh-pit of jumping up and down at home plate has become commonplace in baseball at this point. If you can live with that then you can live with anything else of that celebratory nature.

I don’t begrudge anyone feeling like it was over the top but I personally thought it was really funny. If winning isn’t fun then what is?

3. lardin
      September 8th, 2009 | 11:07 am

The games over at that point, who cares..

September 8th, 2009 | 11:16 am

MJ wrote:

Did you see Billy Ripken’s face as they were discussing it on the MLB network? His reaction was priceless!

I thought the celebration was creative, I was rolling with laughter. That and the Morgan celebration.

If the opponent doesn’t like it? Too damn bad.

I don’t mind the fist pumps, pointing at the sky, or whatever people are doing nowadays. If people want to express themselves, let them. I think there should be more of it, trash talking and the like. If people don’t like it, then I suggest they win a little bit more so they don’t get put in that position.

5. YankCrank
      September 8th, 2009 | 12:21 pm

Loved the celebration, want to see more of them.

6. #15
      September 8th, 2009 | 12:39 pm

The Yankees’ celebrations at the plate (similar to just about every other teams) is spontaneous and reasonable. Mob your teammate for an heroic moment and get off the stage. The Brew Crew version appears rehearsed and, while funny the first time, might move baseball down the path toward the glitzy Vaudevillian stage show that is the NFL. It’s one of the main reasons I don’t like the NFL anymore. Can you imagine how much time is spent planning “excitement” at football games? Too many cheerleaders and fireworks. Too many endless pre-game and half-time shows. Pre-game songs, time out songs, computer-generated graphics of robots taunting the opposition, half-time songs, country and western singers gliding in on wires from the roof of the stadium singing the new team anthem, blah, blah, blah. The actual game has become incidental to the “show” in the NFL. I know I can’t wait to see the commercials at the next Super Bowl (and the news shows talking about the commercials the next day).Can you imagine cheerleaders running out to the infield between innings at baseball games to do a Rockette routine?? I thought cheerleading was the fans responsibility, not the job a squad of enhanced babes with choreographed danced moves that wouldn’t know a fungo from a squeeze play. I like the outfits, but hate the concept. Fist pump? Sure. High fives? Okay. But…. Don’t need the Ickey shuffle in baseball and don’t want the Ickey Shuffle in baseball. Not a huge fan of the pie in the face move, but at least it’s after the game and not “in the face” of the opposition. Would bother me less if it occurred inside the clubhouse.

By the way… Played in a men’s senior league baseball tournament over the weekend. Won the 50+ age bracket, jumped up and down like kids for a few minutes, shook hands with the opposition that played their hearts out, took our team photo with the trophy, got in our cars, and drove 200 miles back home. Old school? Maybe. Right way? Absolutely. The NHL and MLB are still doing it right for the most part. NBA and NFL…. not so much.

7. YankCrank
      September 8th, 2009 | 1:32 pm

#15 wrote:

In fairness, the NFL is often referred to as the “No Fun League” because they no longer allow for excessive and/or planned celebration for any play. If an NFL team currently puts on a display like the Brewers did after a touchdown, it would be a personal foul and the team would be heavily penalized. They’re currently making football impossible to have fun, unlike baseball.

Your issue seems to be with other things about the NFL, most notably cheerleaders, fireworks, halftime shows, tv timeouts, etc. It’s completely reasonable for you to be an “old school” fan and not like that part of professional sports but at some point it may also be reasonable to let it slide and accept it for what it is. If people are paying $200 for a football game they want to be entertained, and cheerleading, giant LCD mega-screens and fireworks after touchdowns are currently part of the game…as are celebrations after walk-off home runs in baseball.

Is that the “right” way or “wrong” way? Maybe that’s the wrong question to ask. It’s just “the way” right now, so let’s all enjoy and not over-react too much. By the way, congratulations on the big win!

8. September 8th, 2009 | 1:54 pm

Here’s a question – for all, and not directed at anyone in particular -

Is there a line between “bush league” and “major league” behavior? And, where is it?

September 8th, 2009 | 2:02 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Here’s a question – for all, and not directed at anyone in particular -

That’s a good question. Always wondered it myself, as this type of behavior usually isn’t found in the minors.

10. MJ
      September 8th, 2009 | 2:02 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

I think there is such a line. To me, end-of-game celebrations are not bush league. To me, bush league is when you do something to intentionally embarrass or “show up” an opponent. To me, bush league is usually an individual act and not a team act.

11. MJ
      September 8th, 2009 | 2:05 pm

Raf wrote:

True, and I wonder if part of the reason it isn’t found in the minors is because it’s harder for MiLB teams to have the kind of interpersonal relationships required to come up with these sorts of things. If the team is always in flux — players getting called up or sent down, young hot-shot prospects mixing with old guys hanging on, organizational players and foreign-born players who are not yet accustomed to the US — it’s probably harder to form the bond required to be silly and light-hearted like this.

September 8th, 2009 | 2:09 pm

Given the structure of the games, it’s difficult to compare the NFL to MLB. Having said that, both are slaves to TV, and they dictate the times and commercial breaks. Moreso in football than baseball.

Anyway, I miss the “unsportsmanlike conduct” that used to go on during games (trash talking and the like), because there are few things that are more rewarding than getting in an opponent’s head.

13. MJ
      September 8th, 2009 | 2:21 pm

Raf wrote:

I think we have to distinguish between behaviors. The touchdown celebrations that have now been largely banned from the game were never unsportsmanlike in my mind. I never understood why T.O. taking popcorn from a kid in the first row was deemed bad but Don Mattingly doing the same thing was funny and charming…

September 8th, 2009 | 3:15 pm

MJ wrote:

I think we have to distinguish between behaviors.

Yes, you’re right. They’re all covered under the same umbrella, but I agree that end zone dances and the like are not unsportsmanlike.

I thought TO celebrating in the star @ Dallas Stadium was one of the funniest things I’ve seen in professional sports. I thought Stockton – Williams in 99(?) playoffs was one of the most perfect examples of a veteran getting under a rookie’s skin. I though Rickey was brilliant in the 89 ALCS, I loved watching him get fired up, stealing bases at will. I remember a couple of them were stolen with him standing up, and the way he acted drove the Jays nuts.

15. September 8th, 2009 | 4:03 pm

[...] as bowling pins, people are once again debating celebratory antics in baseball. In fact, Steve over at WW decided to bring the Yankees into the fold with the following: The Yankees, this season, with all [...]

16. JeremyM
      September 8th, 2009 | 6:55 pm

You know, not to veer off course but I just rewatched the famous “flu game” of the Bulls vs. the Jazz, and there was one play where Stockton brilliantly faked getting tripped by Dennis Rodman- to the refs eyes, contact was made based on where he was positioned, but replays showed that no contact was made at all. To me, while it was ingenious, I would qualify that as bush league because clearly no foul was committed and you’re basically cheating. If Rodman had made some contact and Stockton flopped, that would be one thing I guess, but to go that far? I thought it was lame. Bringing up Stockton above brought that mind…..