• Which ALDS Schedule Will Yanks Pick In ’09?

Posted by on September 10th, 2009 · Comments (14)

According to mlb.com – The Club with the best record in the American League will have the right to decide whether it will play in the seven-day or eight-day Division Series (i.e., whether it will start its Division Series on Wednesday, Oct. 7 or Thursday, Oct. 8). The A.L. Club with the best record will make its selection no later than one hour following the completion of any game that finalizes which club will have the best record in the Championship Season or finalizes the matchups in the Division Series, whichever is later.

So, for the Yankees, this is a choice of “Do I want Joba Chamberlain to start in the ALDS, or, don’t I?” See how each schedule would break down in terms of starters for the Yankees…with SP options for each game…

Seven Day ALDS Option

10/9/09 Yankee Stadium Home Game 2 Burnett
    10/10/09 NO GAME SCHEDULED OFF
    10/11/09 Away Game 1 Pettitte
    10/12/09 Away Game 2 Sabathia
    10/13/09 NO GAME SCHEDULED OFF
    10/14/09 Yankee Stadium Home Game 3 Burnett

If you were the Yankees, which option would you choose, and why? Me? I think you have to go with the 8-day plan…the way Joba’s been pitching lately…

Comments on Which ALDS Schedule Will Yanks Pick In ’09?

1. September 10th, 2009 | 10:41 am

I don’t think you necessarily make the decision based on your team’ cards… you bet based on what the other team throws out there.

vs. Detroit
      Verlander-CC
      Jackson-AJ
      Porcello-Andy
      Washburn-Joba

vs. Texas
      CC-Fledman
      AJ-Millwood
      Andy-Tommy Hunter
      Joba-McCarthy

I think if its Detroit, you have to like your chances in any game that Jarrod Washburn pitches, so it negates the Joba skittishness.

If its Texas, is there anyone that scares you? I didn’t think so.

So if I draw the Tigers, I just might take the seven-day option, whereas if I draw Texas, I probably take the eight-day series.

2. YankCrank
      September 10th, 2009 | 11:41 am

sean mcnally wrote:

I think to an extent you make a good point, but other than who the other team throws out, off days come into play as well.

The more off days not only let you set up your rotation how you’d like, but it also gives your bullpen an extra day off to rest. One day may not seem like a big deal, but you can get a lot more innings out of Aceves, Hughes and Rivera if they have more rest.

3. MJ
      September 10th, 2009 | 12:33 pm

@ YankCrank:
      I agree with you. If you’re looking at who you’re matched up against then you may as well also look at who has the deeper bullpen. Assuming the eight-day format, you would have Hughes/Aceves plus one of the Mitre/Gaudin tandem (preferrably Gaudin at this point).

I agree that Texas’s rotation isn’t scary but I’d rather not put #62 out there, even if he draws Washburn. Furthermore, as good as Porcello might be one day, I’m not scared of him either.

4. ken
      September 10th, 2009 | 2:00 pm

In a five game series, every game is critical. I’m not sure that Joba is ready for a start in that situation.

5. YankCrank
      September 10th, 2009 | 2:19 pm

ken wrote:

Exactly. Five games aren’t enough to recover from one disastrous start, or even a bout with bad luck. We couldn’t recover from Wanger’s terrible start in Game 1 of 2007, and if this series gets to a game 4, that game will be crucial for us. I’m not ready to have Joba start that season-saving game.

6. Corey
      September 10th, 2009 | 2:19 pm

@ ken:
      that’s why i stretch out the mexican gangster

7. clintfsu813
      September 11th, 2009 | 7:59 am

that’s why i stretch out the mexican gangster

Lol..love the new name!

8. MJ
      September 11th, 2009 | 9:19 am

@ Corey:
      @ clintfsu813:

I love the name “Mexican Gangster” too. I just wish they made the Aceves #91 t-shirts. I’d definitely wear it.

9. clintfsu813
      September 11th, 2009 | 9:47 am

@ MJ:
      You could always get one personally made

10. MJ
      September 11th, 2009 | 9:56 am

@ clintfsu813:
      I suppose that’s true.

I’d do navy blue t-shirt with #91 over the left breast and “Mexican Gangster” above it and then the name and number over the back.

I love Ace and I admit that it’s irrational to love a middle reliever this much.

11. clintfsu813
      September 11th, 2009 | 10:00 am

@ MJ:
      Irrational? No way! I am loving Ace this year. The guy has come in time after time and thrown up zeros. If we get to the canyon of hereos, Ace should be in the front with Jeter, Tex, and MO.

12. MJ
      September 11th, 2009 | 10:14 am

@ clintfsu813:
      Agreed. But it’s not just his performance that I like. It’s his demeanor. For a guy we picked up outta nowhere, I just love his style. He’s the Mexican Gangster!

13. clintfsu813
      September 11th, 2009 | 10:22 am

@ MJ:
      I concur

14. September 12th, 2009 | 9:03 pm

[...] an excellent chance that the Yankees will need Burnett to start two games in the ALDS this year. And, if that happens, [...]