• September 11th vs. The Orioles

Posted by on September 11th, 2009 · Comments (8)

It’s a few minutes before midnight on September 11th as I write this. The Yankees game is in a rain-delay, with two outs in the top of the seventh inning, and New York trailing 10-4 (to Baltimore). It’s pretty safe to say you can close the book on this one.

First, the good news: Derek Jeter set the all-time Yankees career hit record in this one. And, it appears that no Yankees player, so far, has been injured in this contest.

But, the bad news: This has been a terribly sloppy game for the Yankees. Just a mess…

What a shame…not because of the standings…as this game means nothing. More so, it’s a shame because this game, with the Jeter record therein, should not have played out this way.

Actually, by the sixth inning, because of the rain-delay at the start of the game, the rain during the game, the fact it was 11 pm ET, and the score (as Damaso Marte began to let the game get away), Yankee Stadium began to empty out…and, now, with this second rain-delay…well…if they do start playing again, there will hardly be any fans there to see it.

In the perfect world, the Yankees would have won this game, and, during the top of the ninth inning, Joe Girardi would have pulled Jeter off the field, and replaced him with Ramiro Pena, defensively. While this was happening, 45,000 Yankees fans would have given Derek a crazy standing ovation, for several minutes, calling him out of the dugout, etc. And, that would have been fitting. But, now, that’s ain’t gonna happen…and, again, in my opinion, that’s a shame.

Comments on September 11th vs. The Orioles

1. Corey
      September 12th, 2009 | 2:34 am

fyi, the quote/replay buttons have dissapeared so there’s a bug somewhere in the code on this page.
      ————
      But, now, that’s ain’t gonna happen…and, again, in my opinion, that’s a shame.
      ————
      Don’t worry buddy, he’ll get his 9th innings standing ovation one day. And let me tell you, when it happens, O’Neill’s and Bernie’s ovations will pale in comparison.

2. Tresh Fan
      September 12th, 2009 | 3:38 am

Absent Jeter’s record knock this was a miserable game. To me the turning point came in the bottom of the 4th when Gardner made the 3rd out at 3rd base. From then on the O’s outscored the Yanks 9-0, with Pettitte barely getting out of the 5th alive after 100+ pitches and Marte—when’s Girardi going to realize this guy just doesn’t have it?—tossing batting practice in the 6th. Meantime the Oriole bullpen effectively shut down the Yankee “attack,” starting with 2 on and none out in their half of the 6th. Ah well! It’s back to being only 40 games over .500..

3. MJ
      September 12th, 2009 | 8:06 am

I’ve been saying it since August 2008:

Damaso Marte = Kyle Farnsworth

They both throw hard and they both SEEM like they should be lights out yet they both suck enormously and miserably. I DETEST Damaso Marte and truly can’t figure out why Cashman would bestow the same mistake contract on Kyle’s second coming.

4. MJ
      September 12th, 2009 | 8:08 am

As an aside, from a scouting perspective Chris Tillman impressed me tonight. He doesn’t get nearly as much press as I think he deserves. He throws an easy 95mph fastball, a nice curve at 77mph and a sneaky changeup at 80mph. Great motion and mechanics, nice tall build on his frame.

I fell in love with a young pitcher tonight…

5. September 12th, 2009 | 10:16 am

@ Corey: I see the buttons just fine…?

Have to confess, I stayed up to watch them start to play again…yes, I’m stupid. And, when I saw them send everyone home, with Hinske at 3B and Molina at 1B, and NO ONE in the stands, I thought “Gee-zus, you idiot, go to bed!” and I did.

6. September 12th, 2009 | 10:18 am

@ MJ:
      When I see Marte, I see Tommy Davidson, from In Living Color, playing the role of a baseball pitcher, in some bad baseball comedy….but, then again, that’s me…

7. JeremyM
      September 12th, 2009 | 10:34 am

I was hoping Marte had put things together as he had done well since being activated, but much like Farnsworth, it was a mirage again.

And Steve, in a couple of months I’ll be begging to stay up all hours of the night to see a few innings of baseball, so I don’t blame you. I hate when baseball season is over. Enjoy it while we can!

8. Corey
      September 12th, 2009 | 11:01 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

@ Corey: I see the buttons just fine…?

ah, you know what the issue is? If there’s no previous comments on a post, those buttons do not appear. Don’t think I noticed that before.