• September 13th vs. The Orioles

Posted by on September 13th, 2009 · Comments (9)

Final scores can be so misleading, sometimes. If you spent the day visiting with family, and then taking a nice stroll on the boardwalk, before grabbing some dinner out, and were basically “unplugged” from 1 pm until 7 pm (ET) and had no idea what happened in the Yankees game…until you saw the final score, 13-3, on the scroll at the bottom of your T.V. screen when you first flicked on the MLB Network upon arriving home…you’d think “Wow. A laugher. Sweet.”

And, you’d have no idea that the Yankees were losing, 3-1, until Melky Cabrera got a big hit in the fourth, to tie the score at three. And, you’d have no idea that Hideki Matsui got a clutch hit, in the sixth inning, to make to a 3-3 tie into a two run Yankees lead. And, you’d have no idea that it was a very close game, as late as the eighth inning, with New York up, 5-3, until Matsui blasted one to put the Yanks up by five. And, you’d have no idea that Cabrera would drive in two more runs, in that same eighth inning, to make it a runaway…

Basically, you’d have no idea that it was the Melky and Matsui show in the Bronx today…getting the Yankees back into the game, and then getting them the lead, and making it a laugher…but not until it was the next to last inning of the contest.

Oh, and you’d have no idea that Johnny Damon pulled a rock, that cost the Yankees a run, in the fourth inning. Or, that Alex Rodriguez chirped his way into getting ejected from this game in the fifth inning. Two things, by the way, that are pretty stupid for players to do…as their team is trying to win games and lock up a title.

This all reminds me of the ol’ deer-jokes…

Q: What do you call a deer with no eyes?
    A: No idea.

Q: What do you call a deer with no eyes and no legs?
    A: Still no idea.

Thank you. Thank you…I’ll be here all week. Try the veal and be sure to tip your waitress.

Comments on September 13th vs. The Orioles

1. Tresh Fan
      September 13th, 2009 | 11:04 pm

Gotta love those 8 run 8ths. And Jorge Posada making both the 2nd and 3rd out of the inning—so 8 straight batters reached base between his ABs—Boy, he must feel special! And how often do the Yankees—or any team—score 13 runs while stranding 14 runners? Interesting. Interesting. And, as a side note: After today’s game:

MOST 100 RUN SEASONS AS A YANKEE

Lou Gehrig…………….13
      Derek Jeter…………….12
      Babe Ruth……………..11

2. clintfsu813
      September 14th, 2009 | 9:11 am

So, has Brian Bruney (Who’s initials are BB coincedentally) effectively pitched his way out of the Postseason rotation with 2 more walks tonight?

3. Corey
      September 14th, 2009 | 9:17 am

this game, even though we won, was embarrassing. Damon costing the yanks a run by not knowing how many outs there were is unacceptable. I can’t wait for that “idiot” to be out of here. Seriously, how do the offical scorers not give him an error on that? I’d be really pissed off if I was CC and got charged an ER for that.

Then, A-Rod AND Girardi getting thrown out for a called strike 3 call that was a HAIR outside? Are you kidding me? A-Rod HAS to swing at that, and I stand by the ump on this 1. Girardi deserves to get suspended too, because it looks like h was trying to pick a fight with the umpire. He kept screaming at him saying did you touch me, lookin like he was ready to slug him.

Lastly, Tex completely faking getting hit by the pitch. That was some acting job by the Yankee first basemen…but still, do we need to do this against the orioles? I dunno, that felt like a bush league play to me.

Steve is absolutely correct, if you didn’t see this game you have no idea. This was one of the wackiest games I’ve seen all year.

4. Corey
      September 14th, 2009 | 9:18 am

@ clintfsu813:
      yes Bruney was atrocious.

5. Corey
      September 14th, 2009 | 9:20 am

also, Nolan Reimold has impressed me. One day, soon, the Orioles will also be very very good…it’s going to get really interesting in the AL East.

6. MJ
      September 14th, 2009 | 10:23 am

Nolan Reimold has impressed me.
      ———
      I’m far more impressed by Tillman and Matusz. Reimold looks like a guy with holes in his swing to me.

7. Corey
      September 14th, 2009 | 10:32 am

@ MJ:
      as embarrassing as it is for me to say it, I actually missed those 2 games where TIllman and Matusz pitched..due to my dvr having a brain fart…first 2 games I missed all year. There goes my goal of seeing every pitch this year…guess I’ll have to get at it again next year.

Yes Reimold has holes in his swing, many of them in fact, but he has a lot of tools…and he works hard every AB, running out every play…getting infield singles. To me, doing that while being on the last place Baltimore Orioles during the last few weeks of the baseball season, is impressive. It’s a far cry from seeing Melvin Mora barely run to first base year after year toward the end of the year.

8. Corey
      September 14th, 2009 | 10:38 am

also, does anyone else think Melky has ADD? The dude starts out every year hot as fire (while the season is new and exciting), then once it turns into a daily grind he seems like he gets lulled to sleep. Then, when AB’s come with RISP in clutch situations or he has to make a sick play in the field, he seems to jump back to life and come through.

The difference in Melky’s play is so dramatic, it makes me wonder if he’s giving it 100% all the time. I know he’s not as good as he is in April, or when he’s hitting in the clutch. But he can’t possibly be as bad as when he’s bad. The only thing I can think of is that he gets bored from day to day, and needs something to motivate him (like having to split time with Gardner).

9. MJ
      September 14th, 2009 | 10:49 am

@ Corey:
      Matusz is a professional lefty and actually reminds me of a 90′s-era Pettitte in a way. He won’t dazzle you with velocity or “stuff” but he locates pretty well and he has a variety of pitches so he keeps you off balance.

Tillman blew me away on Friday night. Tall, athletic and mechanically sound, he throws a super-duper easy 94-95 mph to all quadrants of the zone and follows it up with a tight 77 mph curve and a late-breaking 80-83 mph changeup. Of all the hyped pitchers over the years, I think I’ve actually fallen in love with Tillman the most. I really wish the Yanks had him.