• WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 9/14/09

Posted by on September 14th, 2009 · Comments (21)

Click here for more information about this entry.

Comments on WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 9/14/09

1. YankCrank
      September 14th, 2009 | 9:08 am

Yeah, so, I was in football mode all weekend. What the f happened this weekend? Did we sleepwalk through the weekend and lose a series to the Orioles?

Kind of sucks to check out for one weekend and see that we played the lowly O’s at home and still lost two games in the standings to the Sox.

2. clintfsu813
      September 14th, 2009 | 9:59 am

Pretty ineffective starts from Andy and AJ did us in. Plus the O’s youngsters pitched their butts off.

3. MJ
      September 14th, 2009 | 10:42 am

YankCrank wrote:

Andy and AJ pitched poorly. Not a fun baseball weekend to say the least.

4. YankCrank
      September 14th, 2009 | 10:48 am

@ clintfsu813:
      @ MJ:

Thanks guys. I hope they wake up for today…it’s time for #62 to step it up.

5. MJ
      September 14th, 2009 | 11:01 am

@ YankCrank:
      Maybe Jeter’s kick in the pants in his last start will carry over to today’s game? The Yanks “need” a win, if only to feel better about a lousy weekend.

If nothing else, I want to beat the damn Angels just for our own confidence and emotional well-being. And by “our” I mean the fans. I think the Yanks are fine.

6. YankCrank
      September 14th, 2009 | 11:15 am

MJ wrote:

@ YankCrank:

Agreed. Even if we have trouble winning in Anaheim, i’d still like to know that we’ll beat them in our house when needed. We usually rip the tits off Weaver anyway, so hopefully that continues tonight.

7. September 14th, 2009 | 1:23 pm

Recently, I’ve mentioned that I’m 90% certain I’ll be scaling back my postings to this blog after this season – doing three or four posts a week instead of four or five a day. Related, I was wondering…would some of you be interested in having a “WasWatching.com Discussion Forum” for lack of a better name, to use to discuss Yankees-things, on a daily basis – much like what’s supposed to be happening in the Water Coolers now? Based on the lack of use of the Coolers, I’m thinking the answer is no. But, thought I would ask, just in case….anyway.

8. YankCrank
      September 14th, 2009 | 1:32 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:

I enjoy the Watercooler talk, and would continue to use it if you continued to post it.

9. Corey
      September 14th, 2009 | 1:55 pm

ditto YankCrank

10. yanksofny
      September 14th, 2009 | 2:05 pm

as per Peter Abraham

Freddy Guzman to the majors; Claggett was DFA to make room for Guzman

11. Corey
      September 14th, 2009 | 2:18 pm

@ yanksofny:
      i don’t really understand the point of putting freddy guzman on the active roster…we already have Gardner to pinch run.

12. September 14th, 2009 | 3:08 pm

@ YankCrank:
      @ Corey:

Thanks guys. I’ll consider it.

13. September 14th, 2009 | 3:10 pm

Freddy Guzman? Reportedly, he’s a great SB threat. Maybe he’s getting a look-see to determine if he’s worth carrying in October instead of Hinske?

September 14th, 2009 | 4:07 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Can they do that, even after putting him on the roster after Aug 31st?

15. Corey
      September 14th, 2009 | 4:16 pm

@ Raf:
      i think they can k-rod some1 into the playoff roster cause of Wang?

16. September 14th, 2009 | 4:17 pm

Pretty sure the Angels did that with K-Rod, Raf. They could say Guzman is replacing Nady who is on the D.L.

17. Corey
      September 14th, 2009 | 4:23 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:
      ya, that’s what I thought too. I forgot about Nady. It sounds like they can get 2 people onto the playoff roster who weren’t on the active roster before the 1st.

September 14th, 2009 | 4:32 pm

I wouldn’t want to count on that loophole remaining open.

At any rate, if that’s the case, it’s a shrewd move by Cashman, given that Guzman was acquired Aug 31st. A player has to be in the organization to be added to the postseason roster. Not has to be on the roster, like I originally thought.

Nady would be the guy replaced, the rule states that the player has to play the same position.

19. Corey
      September 14th, 2009 | 4:34 pm

@ Raf:
      ah nice clarification.

20. Evan3457
      September 14th, 2009 | 10:52 pm

What a sweet win. Foiling the Masters of RISP in the 7th and 8th, holding them to 1 run on a GIDP by MVP candidate Morales, and then the Masters of Late & Close got 2 in the 8th, with Gardner turning the tables on the Angels usual modus operandi.

And don’t tell me the Yanks were lucky there; the Angels run like he.ll and steal a lot, but they’re also one of the worst teams in the league in throwing basestealers out.

The Angels battled in the 9th, but Mo is still Mo. And Joba looked a little better, though a lot of at’em grounders helped. Jeter showing off the big range. Tex belting shots all over the right half of the field. Swishy contributing to long hits. (Yanks now have SEVEN regulars with a slugging percentage over .500; this would be a new record, if they can hold it the rest of the way.)

As I say: sweeeeeeeeeet.

21. Evan3457
      September 14th, 2009 | 10:57 pm

By the way, the Angels are first in the AL in going 1st to 3rd on singles; first in total number of times, and 1st in percentage. They’re also first in the AL on going 2nd to home on singles.

Take a guess which team is 2nd in the AL in going 1st to 3rd on a single, and also third in the league in going 2nd to home on a single. I bet you’ll never guess.

Awwww….you got it. ;)