• September 15th vs. The Blue Jays

Posted by on September 15th, 2009 · Comments (24)

O.K., the game. Doc Halladay did the ‘bend but don’t break’ thing. Sergio Mitre was…well…Sergio Mitre. And, the Blue Jays marched all over the Yankees in this one.

Now, the fight. Funny, just about this time, last year, the Yankees had a fight in a blow-out loss. Must be the September thing to do?

Here’s the deal. I’m all for unifying team building exercises – including bench clearing brawls. But, with respect to the fights, it’s only a good thing when you’re defending yourself…and it’s a bad thing when you started it.

Mark Melancon has to learn to stop hitting batters right square in the back. That’s what triggered this whole thing. And, now, Jorge Posada is probably going to get suspended because of it…and who knows who got hurt in the scrum this evening.

I know who didn’t get hurt…Alex Rodriguez. If you notice, on the replays, A-Rod was one of the last Yankees to brawl and he sort of just bounced around the perimeter of it. I seem to recall, some time in the last five years, him doing this before during a fight. I want to say it was against a West Coast team. I somewhat remember being ticked over A-Rod and Giambi, two of the strongest guys on the team, at the time, not being more active enforcers when the benches cleared. I’ll have to look some and see if I can locate that game…

Oh, by the way, don’t look now, but, the Red Sox are currently just 5 games back, in the loss column, behind the Yankees – and Boston has 19 games left to play…

Comments on September 15th vs. The Blue Jays

September 16th, 2009 | 12:25 am

If I were Giambi or Rodriguez, I would’ve done the same thing. I’m not going to get hurt over some foolishness. Brian Taylor could’ve learned the same lesson.

Melancon was wild, same thing happened when he nailed Pedroia. What Posada did was stupid, and was independent of what Melancon did.

2. Janks-n-Jints
      September 16th, 2009 | 12:55 am

Oh, by the way, don’t look now at the standings, but, the Red Sox are 6.5 games back.

Six point five. Not five. Six point point five.

3. MJ
      September 16th, 2009 | 6:19 am

1) No reason to call out A-Rod here. Posada shouldn’t have instigated anything in a blow-out loss for the team so A-Rod shouldn’t feel like he has to get his ass kicked to cover for Posada’s foolishness.

2) I found umpire Jim Joyce’s postgame comments completely unprofessional, even if what he said was true. Yes, Posada instigated the brawl with an uncalled-for brush of his elbow to the pitcher (and then taking umbrage to the pitcher’s comments). But the umps are supposed to stay silent after the game. I can’t remember the last time an ump had any postgame comments on a brawl.

3) Sergio Mitre stinks so bad. How can Girardi keep on trotting him out there? I don’t care that he once pitched for the ’06 Marlins or that they both started their career on the Cubs, this is just silly. If Cashman could find a scrub like Mitre, I’m sure he can find another equally lousy guy on the waiver wire that can take his starts. There is absolutely no reason why Mitre should ever be seen again in New York…and don’t tell me about that bollocks 1-hitter vs. Chicago at the end of August.

4) In other news, Andy’s going to miss a start due to shoulder fatigue. As we’ve learned with Andy over the years, the moment we learn that there’s something wrong with his arm, his performances go straight into the toilet. This is not good news at all…the Yankees’ staff is falling apart before our very eyes.

September 16th, 2009 | 9:02 am

If I didn’t know better, I’d say Mitre has some incriminating pics of Girardi with farm animals… While I understand the reasoning behind him getting a start (Pettitte’s shoulder), he should’ve been cut a long time ago. Or still rehabbing in the MiL (back when the season was still going). At any rate, there really isn’t a reason why he should be on the team.

5. Corey
      September 16th, 2009 | 9:16 am

Janks-n-Jints wrote:

Six point five. Not five. Six point point five.

Steve is right, it’s 5 in the loss column.

6. Corey
      September 16th, 2009 | 9:23 am

gotta love shelley getting right in there during the fight…the guy was banished to AAA and he’s still right in there…I want him to be good so bad, so he can be on our team…can he be our mascot at least? lol

7. YankCrank
      September 16th, 2009 | 9:32 am

Just a little perspective of the other side here:

On our current homestand, we’re 6-3. I know those three losses have come from the Orioles and Blue Jays, which is frustrating, but not a single Yankee fan should have expected a win last night from Sergio Mitre. This was an infuriating loss, but Yankee fans seem to be reacting like we’re blowing the division here. Mitre vs. Halladay will rarely result in a Yankee win.

The Sox are playing better right now and picking up games, but it would take an epic collapse for us to lose the division. We’d have to lose about 12 of our remaining 16 games with the Sox winning almost every game for us to lose the division. Can it happen? Sure, but it’s unlikely.

I wish we had just about anybody other than Mitre to start these games, i’d even love to have Tomko back, but let’s hope this team wakes up today and gets a big win.

8. Corey
      September 16th, 2009 | 9:34 am

YankCrank wrote:

lol of course you would, have you seen his #’s in Oakland?

9. YankCrank
      September 16th, 2009 | 9:34 am

I’s also like to add that i’m extremely disappointed in JoPo. I love the guy, my favorite player, but wtf is he thinking? How does him throwing an elbow at a crappy relief pitcher, starting a fight, possibly getting hurt and definitely getting suspended help us right now?

He should know better, this whole mess is on him.

10. Corey
      September 16th, 2009 | 9:37 am

@ YankCrank:
      at least it looks like he got a good shot in. Could have pulled a Youk and just got thrown into the ground lol.

11. clintfsu813
      September 16th, 2009 | 9:57 am

Has anyone not noticed the headline here states Sept. 15th vs The Angels, lol.

12. MJ
      September 16th, 2009 | 10:03 am

YankCrank wrote:

He should know better, this whole mess is on him.

Agree completely. He shouldn’t have done that, even if he was still steamed at the pitch that sailed behind him. Not to mention, if you’re that pissed about the retaliation pitch, do something about it then, not after you’ve been running the bases and presumably had time to cool off. But, I agree completely, there’s too much at stake now to risk injury/suspension. Stupid.

@ Corey:
      LOL!! True! Youk got taken down by a rookie. Then again…Jorge’s chicken-wing elbow wasn’t that impressive either.

13. clintfsu813
      September 16th, 2009 | 10:04 am

Saw that too..love that guy!

14. G.I. Joey
      September 16th, 2009 | 11:04 am

Of course it was foolish for the Yanks to get involved in something like this and risk injury with so much at stake, but the Blue Jays are a bunch of ass clowns for thinking that they were intentionally hit.

15. YankCrank
      September 16th, 2009 | 11:20 am

Has anyone not noticed the headline here states Sept. 15th vs The Angels, lol.
      —–

I wish our game last night was with the Angels. They did their usual band over job in Boston.

16. clintfsu813
      September 16th, 2009 | 11:40 am

@ YankCrank:
      I hate how they lay down for the Sox and seem to show up versus the Yanks.

17. Corey
      September 16th, 2009 | 11:57 am

clintfsu813 wrote:

@ YankCrank:
      I hate how they lay down for the Sox and seem to show up versus the Yanks.

inversely, i’m sure the Sox hate how we lay down for the angels but show up to play them.

18. butchie22
      September 16th, 2009 | 1:34 pm

Raf wrote:

we agrre Raf…amazing! Posada is a cry baby to say the least. Ruiz got hit in the face last time they played AND with the incident with Hill, there was going to be some retricution from Toronto. And Carlson THREW BEHIND Posada! He acted like an entitled spoiled brat with his immature actions. In addition, why the hell is he causing trouble against a team that is going nowhere. The Blue Jays don’t give a shit right now, they’ll throw again if need be. They have nothing to lose . why fight?

@ GI Joey, ass clowns? If two Yankees were hit intentionally or not how would you feel? You would want to at least send the other team a message no? IF one Yankee was hit in the face AND another in the back ,you would like to see them protect themselves,right? Carlson didn’t EVEN hit Cry Baby Jorge! That’s what is so laughable about this farce….

Just for the record, if the tables were turned I would take the Yankees’ side as I have against Pedro the Head Hunter and other Red Sox Yankee hitters. I also hated how Torre let the other team always hit Yanks BUT he never got the Yankees payback. In this case, the Jays brushed this cry baby back who wasn’t even hit and he starts shit? Whatta dope…….

19. September 16th, 2009 | 4:56 pm

C’mon, Steve. Not an ounce of criticism for Posada, who started the brawl, but a paragraph giving A-Rod such grief for not getting in the fight? With all due respect, I know you don’t like A-Rod, but I think you’re way off base here.

If A-Rod had gotten in the fray, and messed up his hip some more, I don’t think anybody would be talking about how tough he was. No, they would be saying how he has to insert himself in the middle of everything, like they said about the Varitek fight.

Look, I thought the brawl was a lot of fun to watch. But that doesn’t mean Posada isn’t a hothead. And that doesn’t mean A-Rod should have been throwing haymakers.

20. September 16th, 2009 | 5:14 pm

Posada is what he is…a hot head with a short fuse. I don’t hold it against him for yapping, etc. The elbow, sure, was a cheap shot. And, I’m sure Posada regrets it now.

I’m not blaming A-Rod, either. I’m just saying he’s a lover not a fighter. Who do I blame? Melancon, 100%. If he doesn’t hit the batter, then Posada isn’t thrown at and none of this happens.

September 16th, 2009 | 5:30 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

If Posada throws the elbow keeps it moving, into the dugout (by that point he was ejected) and up the runway, none of this happens either.

22. September 16th, 2009 | 11:15 pm

@ Raf: Still, no MBP by Melancon, then no pitch at Posada, and no elbow. You want to Jim Jones from serving the punch…well, you could ask him not to do it…or, you could prevent his birth in the first place. The latter is a sure bet to work. Much like Melancon not throwing at the batter and causing all this…

23. G.I. Joey
      September 17th, 2009 | 12:03 pm

butchie22 wrote:

There is def. a difference between a young pitcher struggling with his command and plunking someone and more experienced player like Pedro head hunting. Towers hitting a Blue Jay in the face, if that’s what you were referring to, happened in a game last week and again is an example of a young pitcher struggling with is command. This was def. the case with Melancon. I thought the Jays would be able to recognize that. Maybe they did, but felt the need to send a message anyway. If the situation was reversed, I would be miffed about two Yanks getting hit for sure, but I can’t say for certain I would think retaliation is 100% warranted.

You’re right, Carlson didn’t even hit Jorge, but what he did do was position himself in between home plate and the Yankees dugout while Jorge scored, completely out of position in order to backup that throw home. I think this was intentional as he wanted to have one last exchange with Jorge.

24. January 9th, 2010 | 5:29 pm

[...] no truth to the rumor that, at the rehearsal dinner, Melancon drilled a waiter in the back with a thrown cocktail glass because the server asked Mark if he was aware of the impact that the [...]