• September 16th vs. The Blue Jays

Posted by on September 16th, 2009 · Comments (13)

Huge win. Pretty much ices the division crown. Frankie Cervelli, though, was lucky – only having one out registered when he got the walk-off hit in the 9th…when he ran towards right field, after rounding first, running away from his teammates. Why?

Go ask Fred Merkle.

Can’t say enough about Matsui’s homerun to tie this one in the eighth inning.

So, how many games will the Yankees now win this season, overall? 102? It should be more. Is 104 too many?

Know how many times the Yankees have won 104+ games in a season? The answer is: Six. (1998, 1963, 1961, 1939, 1932, and 1927.) And, that’s not a lot. I hope they make it seven this year.

Comments on September 16th vs. The Blue Jays

1. Evan3457
      September 17th, 2009 | 5:39 am

This is not really the same as Merkle’s Boner. Even with two outs, as long as he touches first safely AND Gardner scores before he abandons the baseline, the run counts. Getting tagged out overrunning a base is not a force play, so the timing of who does what matters.

The run was taken from the Giants because Merkle’s failure to touch 2nd allowed the Cubs to complete a force play, and no matter how late that force is completed, with 2 outs, no run can be counted.

So, Cervelli…lucky that there’s only 1 out? Yeah, but not for the reason you alluded to above. He’s lucky the Jays had to pull their infield in, allowing his grounder to get past a diving Scutaro for the game-winner. If there’s two outs, Scutaro makes that play with relative ease, and the game goes to the 11th.

2. clintfsu813
      September 17th, 2009 | 7:21 am

Lets not forget that stolen base by GGBG. He has the potential to be huge for us in October.

3. YankCrank
      September 17th, 2009 | 8:53 am

There were a lot of big contributors tonight.

1) Chad Gaudin only giving up 3 runs in 5+ frames, which I was happy with. If he can do that every time i’ll take it.

2) Marte’s big strikeout

3) Phil and Mo shutting the door on the Jays hitting.

4)Matsui’s bomb was HUGE

5) Gardner’s leadoff hit and stolen base

6) Cervelli :)

So yeah, a total team win. I liked it and it definitely makes the off day better having won a game and finishing the homestand 7-3 instead of 6-4 with four losses to the Orioles and Jays combined. Now, let’s go out West and kick some ass.

4. MJ
      September 17th, 2009 | 9:00 am

@ YankCrank:
      1) He was on the verge of completely unraveling yet somehow managed to keep it together just long enough to keep the team in the ballgame. Gaudin is by no means good but he’s miles better than Mitre. I can’t figure out why Gaudin plays 1A to Mitre’s 1.

2) Unexpected? Yes. Happy to see it? Absolutely.

3) OH YEAH!

4) OH “EFF” YEAH!

5) That’s two swipes in our last two wins that led to the winning run. I don’t care for the player or his skills but he’s a tremendous pinch runner.

6) My favorite young Yankee, ever since he was behind the plate for Sabathia’s gem on the Friday before Mother’s Day when A-Rod made his debut.

It feels good to win, especially when we all knew the Angels would be their usual pathetic selves and roll over for Boston. Nice effort, Juan Rivera…lazy, quitting sack of shit you are.

5. Corey
      September 17th, 2009 | 9:11 am

Huge win. Pretty much ices the division crown.
      ======
      weren’t we just talking about them possibly collapsing lol?

6. clintfsu813
      September 17th, 2009 | 9:14 am

@ MJ:
      I don’t care for the player or his skills but he’s a tremendous pinch runner.

Why the hating on Gardy?

7. YankCrank
      September 17th, 2009 | 9:37 am

I have a fun quiz for you all:

After last night’s performance, who has officially pitched themselves off of the playoff roster?

Need a clue? B. Bruney….no, wait that’s too obvious. Brian B.

8. clintfsu813
      September 17th, 2009 | 9:39 am

Initials are BB..as in walk..as in cant throw strikes

9. Corey
      September 17th, 2009 | 10:00 am

YankCrank wrote:

Need a clue? B. Bruney….no, wait that’s too obvious. Brian B.

nice old school simpsons ref

10. YankCrank
      September 17th, 2009 | 10:01 am

Corey wrote:

nice old school simpsons ref

I was hoping somebody would recognize that!

11. MJ
      September 17th, 2009 | 11:28 am

@ clintfsu813:
      I’m not hating on Gardner, I just see him as a 4th OF type. He doesn’t really hit enough to be a 600 AB player in my opinion. His value is in his speed so as long as he keeps doing what he’s doing, that’s great by me.

12. G.I. Joey
      September 17th, 2009 | 11:36 am

YankCrank wrote:

I have a fun quiz for you all:
      Need a clue? B. Bruney….no, wait that’s too obvious. Brian B.

Remember at the beginning of the season when he was supposed to be our eigth inning guy?!?

13. YankCrank
      September 17th, 2009 | 12:04 pm

G.I. Joey wrote:

I do, and he was actually very, very good in the 8th inning spot until he got hurt. Hasn’t been the same since.