• WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 9/16/09

Posted by on September 16th, 2009 · Comments (11)

Click here for more information about this entry.

Comments on WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 9/16/09

1. clintfsu813
      September 16th, 2009 | 8:18 am

I’m getting worried about the postseason with our rotation and Boston’s hotness as of late. Anybody wanna talk me off the ledge?

2. MJ
      September 16th, 2009 | 8:25 am

@ clintfsu813:
      I’m on the ledge too. Not because of Boston’s hotness but because our rotation is suddenly falling apart.

3. Corey
      September 16th, 2009 | 9:13 am

you can’t get on the ledge cause of sergio mitre, we knew he’d throw clunker after clunker. This is Sept. after all…remember how bad the ’98 team was down the stretch? They needed a freakin team meeting at the end. This current team is fine.

4. MJ
      September 16th, 2009 | 9:27 am

Corey wrote:

remember how bad the ‘98 team was down the stretch?

Wasn’t that the ’00 team?

5. Corey
      September 16th, 2009 | 9:33 am
    6. clintfsu813
      September 16th, 2009 | 9:57 am

It was both

7. MJ
      September 16th, 2009 | 9:59 am

@ Corey:
      You’re right about ’98. I stand corrected.

@ clintfsu813:
      I knew they backed into the ’00 playoffs on a pretty miserable stretch there.

Turns out we’re both right.

8. ken
      September 16th, 2009 | 12:36 pm

clintfsu813 wrote:

I’ve been on that ledge for a while now. Being part of a mixed household, I follow BOS more than I care to. Since the last NY-BOS series they have been as red hot as have we.

They are also getting consistently better starts from their front line pitchers. Right now, I would take Beckett, Lester and Buccholz/Wake/Dice-K over CC, AJ and Andy/Joba. Of course, it could change anytime.

9. clintfsu813
      September 16th, 2009 | 12:42 pm

@ ken:
      I agree Ken..and we all know that the team that wins the World Series is the team that gets hottest at the right time.

10. YankCrank
      September 16th, 2009 | 12:48 pm

You got Pettitte feeling achy and missing a start (Andy didn’t exactly drip with confidence when he was talking about his arm). You got Burnett diarrhea-ing the bed big time. You got Joba…so….basically their one pitching rock is CC, and he’s not exactly Mr. October. Like the last eight years, they’re built really well for a regular season, where you see a lot of crappy relievers and rack up runs. But a best-of-five where you’re facing top pitching is a different story. Maybe they should think about just packing it in now and letting us AND Texas pass them! Who’s with me??
      ———–

This is a quote from a Red Sox blog I occasionally go to, but i’d prefer not to share the name cuz I hate his writing and his blatant biased hating of the Yankees…sohe deserves no publicity. But this is a perfect example of him making the same mistake that some people here did a month ago: Burying a team that isn’t buried.

Right now, we’re going through a tough round with our rotation. It seems tough because we’ve lost a couple games, and after going 40-13 since the break, a string of losses are blown way out of proportion. It was the same thing we did when the Sox were struggling, lots of Yankee fans thought they were dead and even if they weren’t, they still weren’t that good. Wrong.

The Yankees will be fine, as will the Red Sox, because both teams have a ton of talent. Yeah Andy was skipped a turn and AJ has struggled recently, but so did Lester and Beckett for a period of time and now they’re fine. Our string of playing .700 ball has recently stopped, no need to panic.

If we play .500 ball the rest of the year, the Sox will have to 16-3 to catch us. That probably won’t happen. I hate how the Sox have picked up one game on us in the standings since we last met four weeks ago, and all of a sudden we’re a team not built for the playoffs. Please.

11. clintfsu813
      September 16th, 2009 | 12:58 pm

@ YankCrank:
      I’m successfully off the ledge, thanks Crank