• WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 9/18/09

Posted by on September 18th, 2009 · Comments (22)

Click here for more information about this entry.

Comments on WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 9/18/09

1. September 18th, 2009 | 8:26 am

Sorry for the crazy posting schedule and the messy titles, etc. lately – I think I’ve cleaned those all up by now…I’ve had a killer head cold the last four days and have been pretty heavily drugged up most of the time. And, that makes my brain more clouded than usual. ;-)

2. Corey
      September 18th, 2009 | 9:24 am

no apology necessary mate.

3. MJ
      September 18th, 2009 | 9:26 am

Corey wrote:

mate

Now who’s channeling his inner Butchie?! :-D

4. Corey
      September 18th, 2009 | 10:01 am

@ MJ:
      haha

5. clintfsu813
      September 18th, 2009 | 11:09 am

So, it looks like Anaheim is gonna get Andy, Mitre, and Gaudin huh?

6. YankCrank
      September 18th, 2009 | 11:37 am

clintfsu813 wrote:

So, it looks like Anaheim is gonna get Andy, Mitre, and Gaudin huh?

Yeah, not very inspiring. With Boston playing good ball and most likely going 5-1 or 6-0 against the O’s and Jays, our series with Boston may be a big one.

7. MJ
      September 18th, 2009 | 11:46 am

@ clintfsu813:
      Jeez that sucks. That’s at least two losses on paper, if not a full sweep.

@ YankCrank:
      I really never thought it would come to this, but, yes, it does look like the Yanks will have to play meaningful games vs. the BoSox. The only consolation is that it won’t be Andy/Mitre/Gaudin going against Boston.

Girardi’s love of Mitre resembles Torre’s irrational love of Tanyon Sturtze/Scott Proctor. Why keep trotting out a piece of garbage like Mitre? To hear Girardi talk about Mitre, you’d think the guy was so great for Girardi’s Marlins in 2006 that the loyalty is at least partially justified. Instead, Mitre pitched 41 innings (7 starts) and put up a 5.71 ERA (76 ERA+) and a 1.56 WHIP. He even found time to serve up 1.5 HR/9.

Mitre sucked in 2006 and still sucks in 2009. Why is Girardi still rewarding him with starts? Why is Cashman permitting him to do so?

8. clintfsu813
      September 18th, 2009 | 11:55 am

@ MJ:
      Maybe they view these games, and his starts as meaningless due to our lead. I disagree but cant think of much else.

9. Corey
      September 18th, 2009 | 11:57 am

MJ wrote:

eh, i don’t really think they are that important..their magic # to get into the postseason is 4. Sure home field vs. the sox, but i’d like to have them beat before it would matter in a game 7 anyway.

10. MJ
      September 18th, 2009 | 12:22 pm

@ Corey:
      Homefield is not just a throw-away notion in my book. It’s not the NFL or NBA and homefield may not matter that much in baseball as it does in other sports but we’ve seen the Yanks play truly remarkably at home this year not to mention it.

You don’t want to have to fly to Anaheim again, like we did in 2005. And you definitely don’t want to go to Boston for a game in that kind of atmosphere, especially since we know umps get unduly influenced by their environment (as Bud Selig even admitted yesterday).

11. MJ
      September 18th, 2009 | 12:28 pm

@ clintfsu813:
      At this point, maybe. But what about before? Mitre’s time should’ve been up weeks ago.

Anyway, we agree…Mitre stinks.

12. Corey
      September 18th, 2009 | 12:33 pm

all i’m saying is, we can’t 1 day say the division is in the bag, then the next say we are collapsing, and then repeat. We’re fine, you guys are all over-reacting. It’s september and the season is playing out.

let’s say we go 7-8. That would put us at 101-61 To overtake us, the sox would have to go 15-2 to tie us. We’re fine, I repeat, we’re fine.

13. September 18th, 2009 | 4:38 pm

If the Yanks blow this lead, the entire team should be shot. That said, there’s no way they’re going to blow it now…as Ralph Wiggum would say, it’s unpossible…

14. September 18th, 2009 | 4:40 pm

I went back and looked at the comments counts for the watercoolers – the recent ones…

When I started these, I had hoped that they would be active – like 30+ comments a day. But, that’s not been the norm. Gotta say, when this season is done, I think that will be the end of the coolers…

15. YankCrank
      September 18th, 2009 | 4:50 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Why is 30 the number? I think it’s very possible that some days, there’s more to talk about than others. Am I wrong?

16. butchie22
      September 18th, 2009 | 4:55 pm

MJ wrote:

Corey wrote:
      mate
      Now who’s channeling his inner Butchie?!

Good call mate, I like how you caught that Butchism! Very eagle eyed of you……..Funny that, I thought the very same thing when I saw that,MJ.

17. butchie22
      September 18th, 2009 | 5:04 pm

MJ wrote:

@ Corey:

In the case of Fenway and Yankee Stadium, there is a decisive home field advantage. The crowds at Fenway are intimidating as all heck AND they are right on the field more or less. In terms of new Yankee Stadium, that home town flavor has been coming to the new place. In those,two places the hom teams have an unusal fan base ripping the opposing team BUT going nuts when the home team makes good.

I had a discussion a long time ago with Antone about the umps giving the Red Sox favorable calls. It happens too at Yankee Stadium BUT it happens at Monkey Rally Stadium as well but to a much lesser degree.

18. September 18th, 2009 | 5:10 pm

@ YankCrank: Well, I figured, if other blogs who have some sort of a free-open thread entry can get 300 or something comments…then it wasn’t crazy to expect just 1/10th of that…

19. Corey
      September 18th, 2009 | 6:02 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

My argument would be that we still have the same number of intelligent, relevant comments as the other blogs who can do 300 or something comments in a similar styled post.

20. YankCrank
      September 18th, 2009 | 7:59 pm

I see your point Steve, but it’s always good to have a general forum open for people to talk about other games or other topics that you happened to not post about…especially if you’re going to less and longer posts.

At the end of the day it’s your choice, and you do a great job here so i’ll come to WW no matter what you do. But recently the Yanks have all but secured the division, had more off days and there just hasn’t been as much Yankee info to talk about. I imagine when the playoffs start, there will be much more to discuss.

21. September 18th, 2009 | 9:06 pm

Corey wrote:

Agreed, 100%. But, that’s the unfair nature of the internet. I might get 2,600 page views in a day, and a handful of comments – but, the content and comments receive high marks by those who read them – - whereas another blog gets 26,000 page views a day, with 300 comments – but many of the comments are “Lets-Go Yank-Ees!” or “Yo, you’re a tool.” And, at the end of the day, the blog with the 26,000 page views is the one that gets the prize…go figure.

22. September 18th, 2009 | 9:07 pm

@ YankCrank:
      I hope things heat up in October – we’ll see. Don’t worry, when the time comes, and what happens, happens, I’ll be able to explain it all where it will make more sense…I hope.