• September 18th @ The Mariners

Posted by on September 19th, 2009 · Comments (7)

Ouch.

Ichiro Suzuki now joins:

Marco Scutaro, Bill Mueller, and Bill Selby as the only batters to hit a regular season, bottom of the 9th inning, walk-off homerun off against Mo Rivera.

Vernon Wells also hit a walk-off homer against Rivera – but it was in the 11th inning of a tie game. Suzuki, Scutaro, Mueller and Selby all did it in the ninth, with their team trailing.

Suzuki, Scutaro, and Selby all did it after two-outs. Mueller did it after one out.

Comments on September 18th @ The Mariners

September 19th, 2009 | 2:44 am

Sending good vibes and well wishes from Seattle. Tomorrow, I get to cross Safeco off the list.

Sucks about the game, tho’.

2. Tresh Fan
      September 19th, 2009 | 7:40 am

This one hurt. I won’t lie. But on the bright side Burnett turned in a good effort, so it wasn’t a total loss. Alright, so it was a total loss. Damn!

3. JeremyM
      September 19th, 2009 | 8:47 am

It’s purely hindsight and I wasn’t following this one, but in looking back, why not pinch hit for Molina in the 7th? Sure, anyone could have ground into a double play, but why not use a better hitter in that situation? And then again, why even pitch to Ichiro there with a base open? I guess because he was the go ahead run. Well, hope they get things in gear tonight, because Boston is trying to make it interesting.

4. YankCrank
      September 19th, 2009 | 10:15 am

Sucks to lose this one like that, but hey…Mo isn’t going to get them all.

There are some goods to take from this. Burnett looked sharp, we out-dueled a playoff-caliber #1 starter on the road, and 99 times out of 100 Mo shuts the door.

Go out today behind CC and take the next one.

5. butchie22
      September 19th, 2009 | 10:16 am

Ichiro is very dangerous up in that spot. The situation kinda remided me of the Marco Scutaro homer in Oakland. I mean did Gym Teacher joe even think about walking Suzuki in that spot? He should have……

Let’s be honest, Burnit did a nice job. Yes, he had gone back to his inconsistent ways as of late, but today was a bloody good sign albeit a small one. Hopefully, he’ll get it together by the time the playoffs roll around but I’m not holding my breath…..I’m still not confident with AJ in a playoff spot.

6. September 19th, 2009 | 12:08 pm

Re: AJ – don’t lose sight that the M’s are the 2nd worst offensive club in the AL – with the Royals being the worse – and this game was at Safeco.

I still need to see AJ pitch well in the Bronx against a good hitting team before I say he’s cured.

7. nwyank
      September 21st, 2009 | 12:36 pm

I didn’t even listen to the bottom to the 9th. The Mariner announcers were gushing about Mo…..36 straight saves against the Mariners! Hasn’t given up a run in 50 years! Mr Atomatic! I had a bad feeling, knowing how those records don’t last forever; and I wanted a good night’s sleep.
      Woke up, read the headlines, and wasn’t surprised.