• September 20th @ The Mariners

Posted by on September 20th, 2009 · Comments (21)

Joba, Jo-ba, Jooooba…

At this point, I’m not even sure if I would hire him to be my latex salesman, much less have him pitch for me, in the post-season, in any capacity…

You know, two weeks ago, I wrote: “Yanks October Hopes: CC & Andy And Pray For Rain?” Well, Burnett and Chamberlain still have not won over my confidence yet…

Sure, I know that A.J. went seven allowing one run on Friday…but that was against the M’s, the next to worst offensive team in the league, in a pitcher’s park…

And, now, with Pettitte’s somewhat sore shoulder, well, the Yankees starting rotation is not looking all that great, is it?

The good news? The Yankees are making the post-season…in some shape and/or form. It’s a lock. New York may not win the East…don’t look now, but, the Red Sox are just four games back in the loss column…but, they’re in the big dance…no question.

The only question is how long will they last…given the issues with Burnett, Pettitte and Chamberlain? Hopefully, it will work out…but, I think Yankees fans should start bracing themselves for something less than desired, in terms of an outcome, too…as two bad starts (or more) from your starters in an LDS is usually a kiss of death.

Comments on September 20th @ The Mariners

1. ken
      September 20th, 2009 | 8:37 pm

Went to the Jets game today. Pure ectasy. Most satisfying win since Super Bowl III (yes, I’m that old). Yankees get a pass today in my book. But I do see dark clouds on the horizon.

2. September 20th, 2009 | 8:50 pm

The Yankees are done. This postseason was lost the moment Cashman passed on adding a veteran innings eater at the trading deadline. That and the asinine Joba “program” have doomed this team’s chances at advancing past the first round. I’d put the odds at 50/50 they even win the division. And since Cashman’s already taken his victory lap in the press for signing three no-brainer free agents last off-season, he’s guaranteed to be back ruining this team’s chances again next season.

3. antone
      September 20th, 2009 | 9:47 pm

I would tend to agree….except for the fact that Jamie Moyer, Jeff Weaver, and Joe Blanton have World Series rings…and I think Burnett is the type of pitcher who could get “hot” at the right moment and I think that is what has been winning in the playoffs the last few seasons.

We know the Yankees will hit and Sabathia should at least be decent for the Yanks. I mean is this Yankees team much different then the Phillies team that won last year with Hamels, Moyer, Blanton, and Myers in their rotation? I wouldn’t have thought they could win with that rotation.

The Yanks just have to hope Burnett gets “hot” like the Phillies pitchers did and hopefully Pettitte’s shoulder is alright. I think Joba will start, but will get a short leash with Hughes and Aceves right behind him. Wouldn’t be surprised if one of them gets stretched out over the next few weeks too.

I’m not confident that Burnett will get “hot” at the right time, but that’s what the Yankees will need to happen or else it looks like we might be watching the Sox (or maybe the Angels) in the World Series again.

4. Tresh Fan
      September 20th, 2009 | 9:59 pm

If I may be permitted to lay off Chamberlain for the moment may I direct your attention to the fact that the Yankee offense was 1 for 11 with RISP today. That’s still a problem. Has been all year. And if I were large and in charge I’d ask Kevin Long what the story is. And if Kevin Long didn’t have a rational answer and a specific idea on exactly how to change it I’d fire him. Plain and simple. Don’t get me wrong, the starting rotation is still the main issue here, but if the Yankees offense can’t deliver when they need to the pitching won’t matter.

5. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      September 20th, 2009 | 10:01 pm

It seems strange and surprising that the Yankees are headed to 100+ wins in all likelihood, and its taken about two and a half months of the season for the Red Sox to get their act together, yet it surely looks like its the Yankees with the questions and the Red Sox that are hitting on all cylinders.

It would be tres ironic if, in the end, this is once again a case of the bats carrying the Yankees to a great regular season but the pitching betrays them in the playoffs.

One thing is for sure – this is the first “must win” series of the year for NY. If they win two of three (or if the Red Sox somehow stumble in KC) then it won’t matter what happens in New York. But if they lose or get swept (and I know the pessimists among you worry about that anytime they play Anaheim out west) then suddenly those three games in NY aren’t just a potential preview of the LCS. They’ll determine if the final seven games of the season determine the seeding for the playoffs. At least Detroit got a big win today, so there’s a better chance the Yankees will face Verlander instead of their favorite whipping boys.

I’m just hoping we get to settle things in the playoffs, with both teams playing well. May the better team win.

6. YankCrank
      September 21st, 2009 | 9:14 am

Old Fezziwig wrote:

The Yankees are done.

Holly crap, overreact much?

Everybody needs to take a deep breath, step off the ledge and relax for a second. Seriously…where did the season go awry to where, all of a sudden, the Yankees are done and Brian Cashman ruined the team? From July to early September the Yankees played .700 ball and went 40-13…now they come back to earth a little and they’re done? Automatic first round loss?

How about you be a little more rational and realize that while the Yanks pitchers are fighting some inconsistency, the Red Sox are just hotter and playing better. It happens, much like we were winning every game while they went through their bumps and bruises. Does that suck for us right now? Of course, but does it mean our season is over? No

In 1996 and 2000 the Yankees almost pissed the division away at the end and still won the World Series. In 2002, 2004 and 2006 the Yankees won the division easily and backed into the playoffs only to not make it to the series, much less out of the first round in 2002 and 2006. In 2007 the team had the best second half record in baseball and went out in the first round. Long story short, how you finish the season is not always the indicator of how you play in the postseason.

The Yankees will be in the playoffs, stop overreacting.

7. clintfsu813
      September 21st, 2009 | 9:28 am

@ YankCrank:
      I agree Crank. 2002-2007 has gotten everyone worried at the least bit of trouble.

8. YankCrank
      September 21st, 2009 | 9:44 am

clintfsu813 wrote:

@ YankCrank:

And i’m ok with that. It’s ok for Yankee fans to be worried right now, we’re stumbling and the Red Sox aren’t losing a game. We have to play 3 games in a plce where we have trouble winning while the Sox get the Royals. That is definitely a reason to be “worried” of sorts.

But declaring the season over, the Yankees out of the first round and all of it because Brian Cashman didn’t sacrifice useful prospects for a guy like Jarrod Washburn (sucks, royally) or Brian Bannister (hurt) is ridiculous.

9. clintfsu813
      September 21st, 2009 | 10:00 am

Yea, how have they worked out, lol. Anyone else thinking of Gaudin in a game 4 with a short lease of Aceves/Mitre?

10. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      September 21st, 2009 | 10:07 am

@ clintfsu813:
      Well, you always want to sign a short lease on a Mitre or Aceves.

Those long leases are tough to fob off on a sublettor,

;)

11. OnceIWasAYankeeFan
      September 21st, 2009 | 10:09 am

BTW, Clint – I’ve always been curious if your handle indicates you are a Florida State alum or fan. I graduated in 1987 – so I just missed the rise to prominence. We lost to the Gators all four years I was there, then shortly thereafter went on our own win streak.

12. clintfsu813
      September 21st, 2009 | 10:22 am

@ OnceIWasAYankeeFan:
      Leash dammit, lol.
      I have lived in Tallahassee all my life and am currently attending Florida State. We definitely had a great run in the 90s and are currently heading back that way I think. Kinda tough to stomach with the Gators running things for now, though.

13. nwyank
      September 21st, 2009 | 1:09 pm

Joba, Joba. Actually, I don’t blame the Yankee Brass for his handling; I figure they know much more than me in how to develop a pitcher. Joba’s Job (!) is to get hitters out, whether it’s for 2 innings or 7. He has been brutal.
      I met him the night before. Not exactly the world’s nicest fellow but he did agree to some pictures with various Yankees fans (I never reqeust such things; just say hello and wish them well). Big guy, too.
      Tresh Fan is right. The hitting w/ RISP has been awful. I cannot explain it, and can only hope the pendulum swings for the post season.

14. Corey
      September 21st, 2009 | 1:38 pm

@ nwyank:
      did you get in a pic with him?

No matter who’s at fault here, Joba has to know going into the offseason that he’s going to have a lot of work to do.

September 21st, 2009 | 2:09 pm

Corey wrote:

That’s my theory, that he’s not in the best of shape. His overall fb velocity has been down, and has been on the decline since he came up.

16. Corey
      September 21st, 2009 | 2:22 pm

@ Raf:
      I recently read a blog post (I think it was RAB, but I can’t find it or I’d link) that basically took a look at Joba’s scouting report before he was drafted as a starter, and essentially the scouting report said Joba sits from 91-94 with the heater, occasionally reaching 98, and that his go-to pitch was the slider with a huge break. The point of the post was to show that what we’re seeing now is what Joba is, and that the velocity we saw him use as a reliever was a result of him relieving more then anything else.

Makes sense, as we’ve seen the same thing with Hughes this year. He’s in the pen, and his velocity has increased by a decent amount.

That said, I agree with you Raf, he should be in better shape. Joba and I have similar body types, and are roughly the same size. The difference? I’m a software developer and he’s a professional athlete. That, at least to me, says a lot about Joba’s work ethic.

17. YankCrank
      September 21st, 2009 | 2:37 pm

Corey wrote:

@ Raf:

This is exactly on the point, but what we can expect from Joba is better command and him being in better shape. Like you said Corey, he has a lot of work to do in the offseason. I hope the Yankees make things clear to him that if he doesn’t work hard, he’s not guaranteed a job.

18. nwyank
      September 21st, 2009 | 3:31 pm

Corey wrote:

@ nwyank:
      did you get in a pic with him?

Nope. I have been lucky enough to meet many of the players, but I don’t go for the autographs or photos. Some guys are really nice and will sign for anyone (Damon, for example), others are dismissive of all fans and hardly converse with anyone. Somewhat understandable be/cs the players are often harrassed by fans.

19. Corey
      September 21st, 2009 | 3:40 pm

nwyank wrote:

Somewhat understandable be/cs the players are often harrassed by fans.

I dunno, I’m of the group that think that the least players could do is sign autographs and pose for fans. They get paid millions upon millions of dollars to play a kids game (by money generated from fans), the least they could do is sign a few baseballs to make other people happy. I realize, there may be a ton of people asking for autographs, but you know what? That’s the trade-off. I’d gladly trade up my degree and job for a pen and ball anyday, and you wouldn’t hear a peep out of me.

20. nwyank
      September 21st, 2009 | 5:33 pm

Corey wrote:

nwyank wrote:
      Somewhat understandable be/cs the players are often harrassed by fans.

In general, I agree. But I’ve witnessed players sitting down to dinner, w/ wife and kids, being bombarded by eager fans. Best to just leave them alone, I would think, until a better opportunity.

21. Corey
      September 21st, 2009 | 6:26 pm

nwyank wrote:

agreed. Doesn’t mean I woudln’t trade in a heart beat though.