• Red Light: You Can Take Advantage Of A-Rod’s Holes In October

Posted by on September 24th, 2009 · Comments (9)

Curt Schilling talks about Alex Rodriguez and the month of October:

I would argue that’s already started — you know my response — when they clinched. His problem has always been that he’s a guy with holes and you can pitch to those holes. In October, I would argue that we pitched as well to them as well as anyone who’s played from Game 4 in ‘04. For a guy that’s as good as he is, he still strikes out a lot. Guys who strike out a lot tend to have a tough time in October. I don’t know what kind of pressure he puts on himself. Based on everything I’ve ever read about him, seen about him and heard about him, he puts immense amounts of extra pressure on himself in October. It hasn’t worked for him in the past. He gets in enough postseasons, he’s going to have a good one, though.

What’s this? Schilling says something that I would endorse? Oh, these are crazy times…

Comments on Red Light: You Can Take Advantage Of A-Rod’s Holes In October

1. bfriley76
      September 24th, 2009 | 5:04 pm

Schilling is really addressing two separate issues here.

The “pitching to his holes” thing I don’t know if I totally buy, because A-Rod hit Sox pitching just fine the first three games of that series. I guess they were just setting the scene for the comeback then? Besides, in the last four games, A-Rod only struck out 4 times in 21 plate appearances. That’s not really off his normal K rate. His problem was he didn’t really hit those last 4 games (though he did have a HR in Game 4), not that he was striking out a ton.

As for the putting pressure on himself, well that’s been speculated about everywhere. Maybe this is the year that he finally stops doing that. His head seems to be in a better place this season.

Regardless, you can’t blame that series loss on A-Rod, though people, I’m sure, would love to. Two blown saves by Mo and a horrid all-around pitching performance in Game 7. That’s what’s to blame.

2. JeremyM
      September 24th, 2009 | 5:23 pm

To be fair to Mo, people always say “two blown saves” which is technically true, but he he came in with a runner on third and nobody out and gave up a sac fly. If Torre had just went to Mariano for the two-inning save in game 5 with a 2-run lead, the Yankees likely win the World Series that year. Anyway, it was a blown save, but it was a very, very tough save chance.

As far as the strikes out a lot thing, I don’t really buy that theory, and if it’s true, since Teixeira also strikes out a ton, we’re screwed.

3. JeremyM
      September 24th, 2009 | 5:26 pm

By the way, that game 5 management with bringing in Gordon instead of Mariano is the very definition of “cute management” in my eyes. I know Mo had thrown a lot the day before, but I still trust him to get save there and definitely do not trust Gordon to do the job there, especially since he was privy to info about Gordon being so nervous he was tossing his cookies before getting into ALCS games.

4. bfriley76
      September 24th, 2009 | 5:44 pm

JeremyM wrote:

Just to be clear, I’m not crucifying Mo for it…I’m just saying that if there’s a Blame pecking order, A-Rod shouldn’t be at the top.

5. September 24th, 2009 | 5:48 pm

Blame CMoney.. Blame ARod…blame offense and defense… but the one dude who never gets blamed :: Joe Torre… forget teflonGM… he is bunker Joe… he can lose after being ahead 3-0 no probs.. he can b petty and bat ARod 8th no blame.. he can take a journal of all quotes guys exchanged in the locker room and write a book ..no Blame.. he can let Joba b swarmed by bees and not halt a playoff game.. he decides not to bunt and make Red Light field with a hobbled ankle..

6. September 24th, 2009 | 10:21 pm

Steve, no offense, but the fact that you’re jumping to agree with Curt Schilling on this issue ought to make you think twice, especially with this comment: “Do you think Alex Rodriguez will look at the calendar and say, ‘Uh-oh — here comes October’? I would argue that’s already started — you know my response — when they clinched.”

What does that even mean? A-Rod hit a homer and got the game-winning RBI in the clincher, and he got the next day off. But he was unclutch, I guess in that one pinch-hit at-bat yesterday. Alrighty, then.

Or this one: “Guys who strike out a lot tend to have a tough time in October.” Yeah, it was really hard on Reggie Jackson.

I agree with srivinodh, though – if it weren’t for Joey Four Rings snoozing on the bench (and not bunting againnst Schilling), we wouldn’t have to hear this nonsense.

7. huuz
      September 25th, 2009 | 11:52 pm

oh, let’s see. career strike-out % for various players…

Arod 18.1%
      The Mick 17.3%
      The Babe: 18% (in the post-season)
      Reggie: 22.8%

yup, that sure is right on. dudes who strike-out out a lot suck in the post season.

good job with the fact-checking there…

8. September 26th, 2009 | 12:00 am

For the record, some of those guys had terrible post-season moments. Like these for Mantle:

Year   Series Opp Rslt G PA R H HR RBI SO   BA  OBP  SLG
      1953       WS BRO    W 6 27 3 5  2   7  8 .208 .296 .458
      1955       WS BRO    L 3 10 1 2  1   1  2 .200 .200 .500
      1961       WS CIN    W 2  6 0 1  0   0  2 .167 .167 .167
      1962       WS SFG    W 7 29 2 3  0   0  5 .120 .241 .160
      1963       WS LAD    L 4 16 1 2  1   1  5 .133 .188 .333

9. September 26th, 2009 | 12:05 am

And, here are some of Reggie’s clunkers:

Year    Tm Series Opp Rslt G PA R H HR RBI SO   BA  OBP  SLG