• WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 9/24/09

Posted by on September 24th, 2009 · Comments (16)

Click here for more information about this entry.

Comments on WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 9/24/09

1. MJ
      September 24th, 2009 | 8:53 am

I listened to the 9th inning of yesterday’s game on my commute home last night. First bit of baseball I’ve followed in quite some time. I’ve “lost that lovin’ feelin’” with this team but I hope the next few games help me get it back. In any case, I’m back (on a limited basis), from my Yankee blackout.

2. YankCrank
      September 24th, 2009 | 9:28 am

MJ wrote:

Haha, care to explain what about the team drove you away? I know they stopped winning every single game they play recently, but I didn’t think they were unbearable to watch…care to share?

3. Corey
      September 24th, 2009 | 9:30 am

lol, I think my Yankee addiction is getting a little strange. I read this from Pete Abe:

Pete Abe wrote:

The best story about Joe DiMaggio is that when he accompanied Marilyn Monroe to visit the troops in Korea, she came back to the hotel and exclaimed, “Oh, Joe, you never heard such crowds.

“Yes,” DiMaggio said, “I have.”

and I got goosebumps. Does that happen to anyone else? Or do I need therapy? lol

4. clintfsu813
      September 24th, 2009 | 9:32 am

@ Corey:
      Wasnt just you..that was a great little ditty.

5. September 24th, 2009 | 9:41 am

I’m really old – I’ve been hearing that Joe D story forever now…

6. MJ
      September 24th, 2009 | 11:12 am

YankCrank wrote:

Simply put, because outside of Sabathia, the entire pitching staff crumbled all at once and I’ve lost a good deal of confidence about the team’s prospects in October.

Winning every game and playing .750 ball is unrealistic and that’s fine. But I don’t want to watch the 2007/2008 Mets collapse in slow-motion and that’s what it was looking like to me. Frankly, we’re not out of the woods yet, playoff berth clinching notwithstanding. The fact remains that AJ, Pettitte and #62 give me no confidence for next month.

7. Corey
      September 24th, 2009 | 11:39 am

@ MJ:
      Pettitte hasn’t pitched that badly, especially considering he’s got a hurt wing.

8. MJ
      September 24th, 2009 | 11:45 am

@ Corey:
      True enough, but the injury is enough of a concern for me to lose confidence that CC + 3 pitchers with various consistency/injury issues will get it done.

9. G.I. Joey
      September 24th, 2009 | 11:49 am

I’ve feeling pretty good about AJ and Andy, but #62 remains a HUGE question mark. It’s my understanding that he is going out there tomorrow night, but even if he has a good outing against the Sox, can we really trust this guy anymore? Every postgame interview is the same “I feel great, my mechanics were great, my pitches were working great” BS. However, I’ve read that although he remains positive with the media, he knows that he has to improve and Girardi flat out told him so. I just don’t know. All the special treatment has really scrambled his squash IMO.

10. Corey
      September 24th, 2009 | 11:50 am

Man, you’d think we were losing every game by the way you’re talking…you know the team is 14-8 this month right? That’s a .636 winning %

11. Corey
      September 24th, 2009 | 11:53 am

To contrast, the almighty 1998 Yankees team was 12-11 for the month of September on the date of September 24, 1998.

12. YankCrank
      September 24th, 2009 | 12:43 pm

Corey wrote:

This is pretty much where my head has been at all month. The only thing that bothered me was how the Yankees seemed like they were going to fly into Anaheim and bend over for three days straight yet again…but they surprised me.

13. MJ
      September 24th, 2009 | 12:55 pm

Corey wrote:

I dunno if that statement was directed at me or not but I’ll reply to it anyway.

I’m not upset that the Yanks lost some ballgames this month. I’m upset that the pitching staff is showing holes at this late stage of the season. I never expected the Yanks to maintain a .750 pace all year but I did hope that the Yanks wouldn’t be going into October with a rotation that inspires no confidence in me.

If you feel confident in this pitching staff, that’s great. I’m glad for you. But when I see AJ (inconsistency), Andy (injury) and #62 (obesity and vanishing talent) all struggling, I can’t feel too cheerful about it.

14. MJ
      September 24th, 2009 | 1:00 pm

I should be clear: I’m not blaming Cashman if the Yanks don’t win the WS and I’m not saying the season was a failure or anything like that. The season has been an absolute joy to watch and those walk-off wins, getting to know Swisher, Frankie Cervelli, Tex and CC, together with all those other cool moments will always be a part of me when I look back at ’09.

I’m just lamenting the bad luck that goes with cruising all summer only to find out in September that the pitching staff has serious issues that, in my mind (and speaking only for myself), will preclude the team from winning the World Series.

I hope that makes sense and clears the air. I’m not mad at the team or anything, I just really (really, really, really) want to win this year and I just don’t see it happening anymore. Shit happens and it seems to be our turn for it to happen…

15. ken
      September 24th, 2009 | 6:02 pm

Very simply: this Yankee team has the personnel to win. It comes down to how they play. As they say in football, it’s about execution. That’s probably also true for most teams that make the post season. So let them play the games and we’ll see what happens.

It’s no more reasonable to try now to predict who will win in October than all the ridiculous pre-season predictions in spring training (How many times did we hear: “Yankees will miss playoffs in favor of BOS and TB who will battle for division”.)

16. butchie22
      September 24th, 2009 | 11:43 pm

MJ wrote:

Corey wrote:

I agree with your assessment to a certain degree BUT wasn’t expecting some kind of freefall in September and/or October . Yes, it doesn’t inspire much confidence that Chad the Cad will go fourth in a possible ALCS with the Red Sox when Buchholz will probably be their Number 4. Yeah, Aj has been sorta shitty until very recently. Charlie Cheeseburger is spotty in October we know that. And AP can be fantastic in the postseason or shitacular. I understand all that BUT that is contingent on the GM. Corey’s plan to stretch out either Aceves OR Hughes wasn’t a half bad idea..just in case. The old boy was bloody right I say! Yes , the Briainless One didn’t want to weaken the BP at the expense of the starting pitching BUT good GMs think of the worst case scenario. AND they knew Joba’s inning limit was a problem.