• September 25th vs. The Red Sox

Posted by on September 25th, 2009 · Comments (14)

Oh, this game was sweet

That was sum’dee-pee to end it, eh?

You know, a case could be made that this game was Alex Rodriguez’ 3rd or 4th best regular season game, ever, with the bat, as a member of the New York Yankees.

And, without question, this was Joba Chamberlain’s 4th best start of the season – and his best one since July 29th.

It’s all good in Yankeeland right now…yup…it’s sweet.

Comments on September 25th vs. The Red Sox

1. huuz
      September 25th, 2009 | 11:40 pm

i don’t know what the heck is wrong with your crappy search of A-rod games…but you forgot probably his greatest game ever, as a Yankee…

3 HR, 10 RBI, 3 R, 13 TB. i’m purty-sure that is in the category of TOB>=5, RBI>=4 and R>=3 and from 1994 to 2009.

2. Tresh Fan
      September 25th, 2009 | 11:44 pm

Very good indeed. And don’t you just love it when a game like this exposes glaring weaknesses in the Beantown Nine? Like 6 for 6 in stolen base attempts.

3. September 25th, 2009 | 11:46 pm

Tresh Fan wrote:

Yeah, I hope like heck that the Angels were scouting this game for the ALDS.

4. September 25th, 2009 | 11:48 pm

@ huuz:
      The query I used had a filter of 5 times on base or more in the game. In A-Rod’s three-HR game, he was on base a total of four times. That’s why the game did not make the results.

5. huuz
      September 25th, 2009 | 11:56 pm

that should illustrate the weakness of picking arbitrary threshold values to declare something “good” or “not good”

6. September 26th, 2009 | 12:02 am

@ huuz:
      You’re missing the point. The point is that A-Rod’s performance in this game was one of his greatest ever, in the regular season, as a Yankee. Maybe it’s not top four. But, it’s darn close. For sure, you cannot find 10 games better than this one for him as a Yankee, with the bat.

7. Evan3457
      September 26th, 2009 | 5:39 am

It was a very impressive game for Alex. Sharp on the bases, good controlled, short swings at the plate, not chasing and overswinging, taking the walk when it was given. And all against a very good team and a very good pitcher (even though Lester was not particularly sharp, he’s still tough).

If he can keep his swing in that mode for the postseason, I think he’ll have a much better time of it. Especially the not chasing and overswinging.

8. Scout
      September 26th, 2009 | 8:30 am

That 0-8 start against the Red Sox seems a lonnnnnng time ago, doesn’t it?

9. YankCrank
      September 26th, 2009 | 10:15 am

When I was watching the game last night, I felt like Johnny from Major Leage II…just ready rip on Joba for every bad thing he was going to do.

Then Joba showed up, and it was awesome. Fastball 92-95, good curve and change…where does this guy go between starts like these? I hope he can string some together because he was fun to watch last night.

Also, good work Yankee offense stealing all over that team. It doesn’t matter who catches, you can run on them all day. Now let’s rough up Matsuzaka!

10. JeremyM
      September 26th, 2009 | 10:51 am

I hope the Yanks continue to run at will this series. Varitek looks lost, and the great thing is I don’t think there’s any chance he won’t take his option and return next year. And Martinez is actually worse at throwing out runners!

11. GDH
      September 26th, 2009 | 11:02 am

It’s always good to see another Boston media legend get backed down a little bit. Before last night’s game, Lester had not lost to the Yanks. I had not realized that – always knew he pitched well against us, but didn’t know he was 5-0 lifetime. I could just see it if the Yanks lost to him again: Yanks Can’t Solve Lester! Lester Dominates Yanks Again etc. But just like we did with the Angels series, we got rid of another monkey last night. It’s a good sign and makes a strong statement.

I’d like to see us work over Dice K the same way, exposing his flaws and picking him apart with walks and base hits. With the Sox, a walk is as good a s a double.

12. September 26th, 2009 | 12:30 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:
      I agree with you. He did it all last night. And it was against the Red Sox, no less.

13. JeremyM
      September 26th, 2009 | 1:56 pm

I didn’t realize that on Lester GDH, I swore they had beat him around a little before. I think I enjoy Captain Intangibles getting knocked down better myself.

Good to see the Yanks bringing out the A-lineup today, I know others disagree but there is still plenty of time to rest.

14. JeremyM
      September 26th, 2009 | 2:00 pm

I meant “knocked around” not knocked down. Pedroia was the one who was knocked down, and I enjoyed that too, since they did the same to Matsui.