• 2009 A.L. Manager Of The Year

Posted by on September 29th, 2009 · Comments (8)

This has to be a race between Joe Girardi, Mike Scioscia, Ron Washington and Ron Gardenhire, right?

For what it’s worth, Girardi was the 2006 N.L. Manager of the Year. And, the only Bobby Cox, Tony La Russa, Lou Piniella and Jim Leyland have won the award in both leagues. If General Joe can pull it off the season, he’ll be only the 5th MGR in big league history to do it. Sure, the awards only been around since 1983…but, getting one in each league still says something…

What do you think? Should Girardi win the award?

Comments on 2009 A.L. Manager Of The Year

1. MJ
      September 30th, 2009 | 8:59 am

What do you think? Should Girardi win the award?
      —————
      The award typically goes to either (1) the manager with the best record or (2) a manager that is perceived to have won more games than could’ve been expected before the season.

In the AL, Girardi qualifies for scenario #1 and Jim Leyland, Ron Gardenhire and Ron Washington qualifiy for scenario #2.

I’d probably give it to Girardi because I’m a Yanks fan and because most people had the Yanks as a 90-94 win team and the team looks like it’ll end up with 103 or 104 wins. That being said, I think Ron Washington deserves consideration because I’m not so sure that anyone figured the Rangers would contend for a playoff spot into the month of Septemeber.

2. Corey
      September 30th, 2009 | 9:15 am

I give it to Ron Washington, he did it with a pretty poor pitching staff and a lineup that was for the most part equally as shoddy, considering that it barely featured Josh Hamilton (when it did, he was mediocore at best).

3. MJ
      September 30th, 2009 | 9:22 am

@ Corey:
      I can live with that.

4. cr1
      September 30th, 2009 | 11:47 am

If they’d create an award for ‘Most Improved Manager of the Year’, I’d vote for Girardi.

5. September 30th, 2009 | 1:32 pm

The presumptive favorite is Mike Scioscia..

Joe G will end up in the top 5, with this payroll he has to win 130 to win this award.

My predicted order

Scioscia, Gardenhire, Washington, Girardi, Leyland

6. Tresh Fan
      October 1st, 2009 | 12:37 am

My vote would go to Leyland. It’s the Tigers 1st division crown since 1987.

7. MJ
      October 1st, 2009 | 8:36 am

@ srivinodh:
      How the heck is Scioscia the favorite? He managed the preseason favorite in their division to a division title. That Texas and Seattle competed shouldn’t count in Scioscia’s favor. After all, the Angels know that the bare minimum of effort wins that crap-ass division just about every single year.

October 1st, 2009 | 12:35 pm

cr1 wrote:

He’s still the same manager; the difference between 08 & 09 is Jeter, Cano and Cabrera bouncing back. And having Posada around for a full season, keeping Molina on the bench, where he belongs.