• September 29th vs. The Royals

Posted by on September 29th, 2009 · Comments (24)

The minute I saw Kyle Farnsworth come in and attempt and close this game for the Royals, two words came to my mind: Walk-off.

And, New York did it. In what might be the most bizarre 9th inning comeback ever…when you look at who did what…and the nature of the first and last hit of the inning.

This makes 50 come from behind wins this season for the Yankees and 15 walk-off wins to boot. What a magical season, huh?

Comments on September 29th vs. The Royals

1. ken
      September 29th, 2009 | 11:01 pm

Other than blowing the save and taking the loss, the only thing missing from Farnsworth’s effort was a home run. Just another day at the office for this guy. (And somehow he was shocked when the Yanks traded him last year.)

2. MJ
      September 30th, 2009 | 8:31 am

———-
      I was hanging w/my girlfriend and we were watching something she wanted to watch (Dancing w/the Stars) so I had the laptop open and was gamecasting the game. When I saw that it was 3-2 in the 9th and her show was finished, I told her to switch it over to YES-HD ASAP because I had a feeling the Yanks might pull it out. I was right!

Unlike other seasons, this year when the Yanks are batting in the bottom of the 9th, I always tune in. More often than not, I’ll get rewarded for my effort with another whipped cream pie celebration!

3. Corey
      September 30th, 2009 | 9:09 am

MJ wrote:

eeek

4. MJ
      September 30th, 2009 | 9:23 am

@ Corey:
      As guys, we all do things we gotta do. You know what I mean.

5. Corey
      September 30th, 2009 | 9:27 am

ah, yes I do…I got lucky, the worst red does to me is make me watch Met games

6. MJ
      September 30th, 2009 | 9:29 am

Corey wrote:

ah, yes I do…I got lucky, the worst red does to me is make me watch Met games

HAHAHAHA, that kinda sucks too!

7. Corey
      September 30th, 2009 | 9:31 am

MJ wrote:

HAHAHAHA, that kinda sucks too!

lol nah… I’m a yankee fan first, baseball fan second. I enjoy watching almost any 2 pro teams lock horns…(lookin at you pirates-nationals)

8. YankCrank
      September 30th, 2009 | 9:35 am

Oh man, what a finish!

I was at the game with a couple of my friends, a Phillies fan and a Mets fan. They wanted to leave the game in the 7th because the game “was over” and I made them stay, which was totally worth it!

I had to explain to them that, unlike their favorite teams, the Yanks are never out of a game and will most likely win it. It was the second pie I got to see this year. Great game.

And then there was Phil Coke…but we don’t need to dwell on that.

9. clintfsu813
      September 30th, 2009 | 9:45 am

It was 90210 for me :(

10. Corey
      September 30th, 2009 | 9:58 am

clintfsu813 wrote:

It was 90210 for me :(

ouch…I dunno what’s worse. I guess it depends if Adam Carolla is still on dancing? (He’s one of, if not, my favorite comedians)

11. G.I. Joey
      September 30th, 2009 | 10:54 am

I was at the game and I left after the bottom of the 8th. I had a feeling that the Yanks would pull it out, especially if Farnsworth was coming in, but I was pretty tired after having attended the entire homestand so far and I wanted to catch my train at Penn. It seems that the “ghosts” that responsible for his blown games in the old stadium have travelled to the new one.

12. MJ
      September 30th, 2009 | 11:07 am

Corey wrote:

Nope, he’s not on it. The only people on it that I was remotely amused by were Michael Irvin (Cowboys WR), Chuck “Iceman” Liddell (MMA fighter) and a couple of the chicks (don’t know their names) that were smoking hot.

13. MJ
      September 30th, 2009 | 11:09 am

Corey wrote:

Oh, I’m with you 100%, I’ll watch almost any baseball game. I was laughing only because the Mets don’t play baseball, they play little league. It seems like they lose a game due to bad defense/poor execution once a week. Man, they suck so bad it’s just crazy.

How are Omar and Manuel keeping their jobs? Talk about teflon…

14. Corey
      September 30th, 2009 | 11:17 am

MJ wrote:

How are Omar and Manuel keeping their jobs?

I’d put the blame more on Omar, then Manuel. I actually kind of like Manuel…there’s no bs with him.

September 30th, 2009 | 11:18 am

MJ wrote:

@ Corey:
      As guys, we all do things we gotta do. You know what I mean.

I broke up with a girl shortly after she made me change from Yanks-Sox to a similar program (Bailar por tu sueños or something like that). It was an interesting program, don’t get me wrong, but I couldn’t get into it during that series.

I listened to the game on the radio.

16. MJ
      September 30th, 2009 | 11:30 am

@ Raf:
      LOL, quien es mas macho? Clearly, Raf! :-D

17. MJ
      September 30th, 2009 | 11:58 am

Corey wrote:

Omar’s done a poor job of restocking the farm system and the Mets’ draft strategy is for shit. But Jerry’s a total clown. How is it acceptable to have thisS many bonehead plays in one season? Granted, it shows how irrelevant a manager is because there’s only so much he can do but on the flip-side, I’d still make him pay for the kind of mental errors that keep on happening out there.

The Mets won’t fire either because they’re not interested in paying for two GM’s and two managers but the Wilpons are nuts if they think their team is in good hands with these two in charge.

18. Corey
      September 30th, 2009 | 12:07 pm

MJ wrote:

How is it acceptable to have thisS many bonehead plays in one season?

to be fair, for a while David Wright was his only regular…Who was he going to bench Luis Castillo for? He did some house cleaning, though, when he got rid of Church (he had that stupid play where he cost the Mets a game cause he didn’t touch the base).

19. MJ
      September 30th, 2009 | 12:26 pm

Corey wrote:

I don’t think it’s too much to ask to even have replacement-level players focused on the game and hustling and not making mental errors. I can totally understand the argument that the Mets got hosed by terrible injuries but you expect everyone on a big league roster to focus, hustle and avoid mental errors.

It has happened enough times this year for the Mets to say that they’re not focusing or trying very hard. How many times can you screw up and the lessons aren’t learned?

20. Corey
      September 30th, 2009 | 12:44 pm

@ MJ:

out of all the players that the mets used this year, 11 hitters accumulated a wRAA above 0. Of those players, 1 was a pitcher, 1 was Sheff (who the Mets didn’t have all year, and didn’t go into the year with), 3 were injured for most of the year (Beltran, Reyes, Delgado), and 1 was the recently acquired Jeff Francouer. That leaves 5, David Wright, Angel Pagan (4th OF at best), Luis Castillo (who murdered them with his lack of focus in the field), and then Ferenando Tatis and Andy green (both of whom were pretty much replacement level). You can’t win with that, regardless of who’s managing.

The reason I like Manuel is, he doesn’t sugar coat anything. He says that they stink, and it’s cause the talent isn’t there (which is true). Aside from the fact that I find his faith in Daniel Murphy disturbing, he hasn’t done a bad job in my eyes.

21. clintfsu813
      September 30th, 2009 | 12:45 pm

@ Corey:
      Is this a Mets blog now? Lol ;)

22. Corey
      September 30th, 2009 | 12:47 pm

clintfsu813 wrote:

@ Corey:
      Is this a Mets blog now? Lol

lol sorry, got side tracked…back to the team that matters!

23. MJ
      September 30th, 2009 | 1:57 pm

Corey wrote:

Since when did being a replacement player mean that mental lapses come with the territory. That’s a bunch of BS and I’m not buying it for a second.

Moreover, when Manuel says “the talent isn’t there”, that’s excuse-making. It might be true but a manager should never say that. A manager’s job is to be accountable for his team, not to say “sorry, folks, our team stinks and I’m not responsible anymore.”

Manuel’s a loser.

24. Corey
      September 30th, 2009 | 2:10 pm

MJ wrote:

Moreover, when Manuel says “the talent isn’t there”, that’s excuse-making.

I take that as him trying to light a fire under Omar’s ass more then making an excuse. But in any case, clint is right. Screw the mets.