• WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 9/30/09

    Posted by on September 30th, 2009 · Comments (44)

    Click here for more information about this entry.

    Comments on WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 9/30/09

    1. clintfsu813
      September 30th, 2009 | 8:43 am

      Saw this cool stat on a RAB message board:

      Stat of the night for everyone: In the entire 2009 season there was one homestand where the NYY didnt have a walkoff win

      If thats true, thats awesome!

    2. Tresh Fan
      September 30th, 2009 | 8:46 am

      I woke up this morning to a loud beeping sound coming from outside.
      “What is that?” I asked a neighbor.
      “Oh, that’s the Red Sox backing into the Wild Card,” he replied.

      The Bosux have lost 5 straight.

    3. September 30th, 2009 | 9:17 am

      LOL Tresh Fan!

      OK, Roll call!

      Raf, MJ, baileywalk, Corey, Rich, butchie22, rbj, Don, YankCrank, JohnnyC, antone, JeremyM, Jen, OnceIWasAYankeeFan, jonm, brockdc, Joel, hopbitters, Garcia, Evan3457, Pete, thenewguy, TurnTwo, Jason O., clintfsu813, yagottagotomo1, Travis G., bfriley76, #15, JJay, Pat F, Lee Sinins, mehmattski, snowball003, Ken, Justin, Nick-YF, Tresh Fan, christopher, j, redbug, hallofamer2000, OldYanksFan, srivinodh, brent.nycz, festus, throwstrikes, Sicilian Lou, Jake1, Old Fezziwig, Scout, Janks-n-Jints, nwyank, sanair and G.I. Joey…are you out there?

      Give us a holler and let us know.

    4. MJ
      September 30th, 2009 | 9:21 am

      I’m here!

    5. Corey
      September 30th, 2009 | 9:26 am

      lol If I saw baileywalk, I’d be pleasantly surprised

    6. bfriley76
      September 30th, 2009 | 9:26 am

      Present!

    7. MJ
      September 30th, 2009 | 9:28 am

      Corey wrote:

      lol If I saw baileywalk, I’d be pleasantly surprised

      Ditto. Miss that guy.

    8. clintfsu813
      September 30th, 2009 | 9:43 am

      Obviously I’m here :)

    9. Tresh Fan
      September 30th, 2009 | 9:49 am

      Okay, I’m here. What’s up?

    10. YankCrank
      September 30th, 2009 | 10:02 am

      Here…and i’m only 9th on your list.

      I need to pull a Seinfeld and get higher up on your speed dial!

    11. Raf
      September 30th, 2009 | 10:34 am

      I’m here. I’ve been hitting and running posting as of late. And thanks to JetBlue’s “Jetting” promotion, the weekends have been spent traveling.

      I’ll get to take in my first game @ Wrigley Friday, and I’m going to the last two regular season games @ the Metrodome this weekend. Hopefully they’ll catch the Tigers by then? Not that I have a rooting interest in either team, I just want to see a pennant race come down to the wire.

    12. G.I. Joey
      September 30th, 2009 | 10:36 am

      Here and amped up for October!

    13. Corey
      September 30th, 2009 | 10:42 am

      Raf wrote:

      And thanks to JetBlue’s “Jetting” promotion, the weekends have been spent traveling.

      what’s the promo, if you don’t mind me askin

    14. Raf
      September 30th, 2009 | 10:47 am

      @ Corey:
      JetBlue ran a promotion where $600 gets you a month of unlimited travel from Sept 8 to October 8.

    15. G.I. Joey
      September 30th, 2009 | 11:00 am

      I heard Girardi might put in all the starters on Friday to secure CC’s 20th win. Do you guys think he’ll really do that? Thoughts?

    16. MJ
      September 30th, 2009 | 11:05 am

      G.I. Joey wrote:

      I heard Girardi might put in all the starters on Friday to secure CC’s 20th win. Do you guys think he’ll really do that? Thoughts?

      I hadn’t heard that but I have no problem with it if it’s true. For one thing, too much sitting around is pointless. The team may as well try and stay sharp and get some AB’s against live pitching heading into next week. For another, I have no problem with the team working together to accomplish a goal for Sabathia. It would be a nice reward for him for his first season to get a total team effort on his one shot at a 20 win season for the first time in his career.

    17. Corey
      September 30th, 2009 | 11:19 am

      Raf wrote:

      JetBlue ran a promotion where $600 gets you a month of unlimited travel from Sept 8 to October 8.

      ah, that’s awesome! I wish I had known, would have liked to see the metrodome before it gets imploded…take pictures!

    18. September 30th, 2009 | 11:19 am

      @ Tresh Fan: Nada – just curious as to who’s around or not.

    19. clintfsu813
      September 30th, 2009 | 11:34 am

      I heard Girardi might put in all the starters on Friday to secure CC’s 20th win. Do you guys think he’ll really do that? Thoughts?

      Do it for me Joe! :)

    20. Corey
      September 30th, 2009 | 11:40 am

      I wonder if 20 wins, on a playoff team, would sway some of the old timer voters to CC’s side for the Cy Young.

    21. MJ
      September 30th, 2009 | 11:42 am

      Corey wrote:

      I wonder if 20 wins, on a playoff team, would sway some of the old timer voters to CC’s side for the Cy Young.

      It shouldn’t, but I guarantee it will. Ultimately, I still think Greinke will win it but I think Sabathia’s push to 20 will drop him ahead of King Felix who is probably the more deserving runner-up (with CC third).

    22. Corey
      September 30th, 2009 | 11:46 am

      @ MJ:
      I’m just glad that CC’s ERA is far enough above 3 where the difference between 1 earned run doesn’t make or break his Cy Young candidacy. (I.E. the different between 3.02 ERA and a 2.98 ERA…looking at you Damon for that bonehead play a few weeks ago, can’t wait till your gone)

    23. September 30th, 2009 | 11:53 am

      Here… is it Oct 7 yet…

    24. MJ
      September 30th, 2009 | 11:54 am

      Corey wrote:

      looking at you Damon…can’t wait till your gone

      I didn’t know you didn’t like Damon?

      I like the guy, tolerate the player, and would be fine with bringing him back on a reasonable length (1-2 year) over-market deal. I’d rather pay a premium for a shorter contract but I doubt that he and Boras would settle for anything less than three guaranteed years.

    25. Corey
      September 30th, 2009 | 12:08 pm

      I can’t stand Damon…he’s my Nady.

    26. Corey
      September 30th, 2009 | 12:12 pm

      That being said, I understand his value to the team, and I would understand if they signed him to a 1-2 year deal…I would just prefer they didn’t.

    27. GDH
      September 30th, 2009 | 12:15 pm

      Tresh Fan – Awesome post. I read that Pedroia had to go home, put his kid to bed, then come back to the clubhouse 2 hrs later to wait for Texas to lose, so they could celebrate. Pretty underwhelming.

    28. G.I. Joey
      September 30th, 2009 | 12:25 pm

      Personal milestone for me tonight as I will be making my 50th trip to the stadium this season. Looking forward to at least 11 more.

    29. MJ
      September 30th, 2009 | 12:28 pm

      Corey wrote:

      I can’t stand Damon…he’s my Nady.

      LOL, say no more. We all have our Nady’s. :-D

    30. G.I. Joey
      September 30th, 2009 | 12:28 pm

      I mean at least 11 more wins and 6 more trips.

    31. Corey
      September 30th, 2009 | 12:59 pm

      The Yankee affiliate, AAAA Pirates, just called up Anthony Claggett. It’ll be interesting to see how he fares in the NL.

    32. bfriley76
      September 30th, 2009 | 1:16 pm

      Anyone see that report today about the Cortisone shots Beckett received in his back? Apparently he got three at the same time. I’m not an expert, so I might be wrong, but that seems like a lot. Something to monitor, I guess.

    33. nwyank
      September 30th, 2009 | 1:29 pm

      I’m here. Been busy at work but have enjoyed reading the posts and comments.
      3 cortisone shots for Beckett sounds great to me. Line drive off Lester was good, too.

    34. Corey
      September 30th, 2009 | 1:37 pm

      bfriley76 wrote:

      Anyone see that report today about the Cortisone shots Beckett received in his back? Apparently he got three at the same time. I’m not an expert, so I might be wrong, but that seems like a lot. Something to monitor, I guess.

      I was under the impression that you could only receive 1 at a time, and 2 within a calendar year for it to do anything…at least that’s what they used to say.

    35. bfriley76
      September 30th, 2009 | 1:41 pm

      Corey wrote:

      bfriley76 wrote:
      Anyone see that report today about the Cortisone shots Beckett received in his back? Apparently he got three at the same time. I’m not an expert, so I might be wrong, but that seems like a lot. Something to monitor, I guess.
      I was under the impression that you could only receive 1 at a time, and 2 within a calendar year for it to do anything…at least that’s what they used to say.

      Me too…and that each subsequent shot was less effective. but here’s the story:
      http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/news/story?id=4517624
      Maybe getting 3 shots at the same time is the equivalent of one big shot? I don’t know.

    36. bfriley76
      September 30th, 2009 | 1:42 pm

      bfriley76 wrote:

      Corey wrote:
      bfriley76 wrote:
      Anyone see that report today about the Cortisone shots Beckett received in his back? Apparently he got three at the same time. I’m not an expert, so I might be wrong, but that seems like a lot. Something to monitor, I guess.
      I was under the impression that you could only receive 1 at a time, and 2 within a calendar year for it to do anything…at least that’s what they used to say.

      Me too…and that each subsequent shot was less effective. but here’s the story:
      http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/news/story?id=4517624
      Maybe getting 3 shots at the same time is the equivalent of one big shot? I don’t know.

      They actually talk about it a little in the story. Regardless of the explanation, still seems like a lot to me, and can’t be a good thing for BoSox fans.

    37. September 30th, 2009 | 1:50 pm

      @ bfriley76:

      You watch, he will throw a 3 hitter @ angels and those needles will end up in the HOF-blood stain Bosox wing…

    38. MJ
      September 30th, 2009 | 1:54 pm

      srivinodh wrote:

      You watch, he will throw a 3 hitter @ angels and those needles will end up in the HOF-blood stain Bosox wing…

      That’s a better place for needles than sitting in an empty 8 year old can of Miller Lite that some douchebag poveretto like Brian McNamee keeps around his shack of an apartment.

    39. sanair
      September 30th, 2009 | 2:11 pm

      I went to my first game on Saturday in four or so years (I’ve been away at school). It was a great experience.

    40. September 30th, 2009 | 2:35 pm

      @ MJ:

      Very true..

    41. yagottagotomo1
      September 30th, 2009 | 6:46 pm

      Present. Been busy with interviews for summer employment, but officially made a choice today. Wooo!

    42. JeremyM
      September 30th, 2009 | 7:14 pm

      I saw this earlier, but with Surf Control alternating between on and off at work for some reason, I thought I better play it safe and not log in. Speaking of, anyone have a clue as to why an employer would do that? I don’t surf very much at work, but I know a lot of people that do and I can’t help but wonder if the hammer will fall on them at some time.

    43. thenewguy
      September 30th, 2009 | 9:29 pm

      Hey Steve, I’m here.

      I just moved out to SF from Upstate NY, so I have been pretty busy getting settled and whatnot.

      Since I can no longer watch Yankees game on TV, I appreciate WasWatching to keep me up to date. I haven’t been posting, but I have been reading.

    44. September 30th, 2009 | 11:02 pm

      Hey, thanks to all those for ringing in!

    Leave a reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.