• More Of Less From A-Rod In This LDS?

Posted by on October 5th, 2009 · Comments (25)

While you can expect to hear these statistics a million times between now and Wednesday, everywhere, let me share them here anyway…

Below is Alex Rodriguez’ post-season cumulative “offensive” contribution to the Yankees since Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS:

PA  R	H  2B  3B  HR	RBI  BB	 SO  BA	   OBP	 SLG
    76  5	9   1	0   2	 3   11	 19 .148  .316	.262

Yeah, yeah, I know…this is a new and different A-Rod this season, right?

But…wait…isn’t that what many said after the 2005 and 2007 seasons too? You know, when Alex was the league MVP and played like he was from another planet…during the regular season?

And, what happened in the 2005 and 2007 ALDS those years?

Oh…that’s right…Rodriguez played like he had an over-sized corn dog lodged in his throat…the whole time. So, should we expect any different performance from A-Rod in this ALDS?

Personally, it would not shock me to see him again allow the pressure of the post-season to get to him and then squeeze his bat handle so tight that it turns to sawdust…because that’s what we’ve seen in his last 76 post-season plate appearances…

But, that’s me. How do you think A-Rod will perform in this ALDS for the Yankees?

Comments on More Of Less From A-Rod In This LDS?

1. October 5th, 2009 | 9:13 pm

Actually he was merely mediocre in the 2007 ALDS – .267 (four for 17,with one homer, and one RBI.) Believe it or not, he had the third best batting of the Yankee regulars in that series.

The two worst hitters? Jorge Posada (.133 BA) and Derek Jeter. (.176) http://www.baseball-reference.com/postseason/2007_ALDS2.shtml
      They played more with that oversized corndog in their throat than A-Rod did in that series. (Yes, I know they have four rings. Doesn’t mean they didn’t stink in that series. And by the way, Posada’s career postseason batting average? .236.)

2. October 5th, 2009 | 10:17 pm

lisaswan wrote:

Context, my good friend, context… ;-) Let’s look at A-Rod’s 2007 ALDS experience:

G1 PA1: BB

G3 PA4: SO swinging

G4 PA1: Yanks down by 2, 1 out, runners on 1st & 2nd, SO swinging
      G4 PA2: SO looking
      G4 PA3: Yanks down by 5, ground single to LF
      G4 PA5: Yanks down by 4, solo HR
      G4 PA6: Yanks down by 3, last inning of ALDS, flies to RF

4 hits…one an INF single and the other two, including the HR, came when the series was just about over…and he was an absolute dog in the close, must win, game two.

3. Evan3457
      October 5th, 2009 | 10:19 pm

I dunno. I would guess that, overall, if the team is doing well, he’ll do fine. If they’re struggling, he’ll be lousy.

Pressed to it, my gut reaction is that he’ll be better than the last 4 series, but not dominant. Call it .265/.340/.450 while K’ing maybe 1 time in 5 rather than 1 time in 4, and maybe an RBI every two games, rather than 1 every 5 games. Maybe 1 HR a series, with an outside shot of having a very good ALDS against the weaker starters both teams offer outside of Verlander. Perhaps one big hit in each series that has a large positive impact on a game.

If they face the Angels, he’ll be better than he was in 2005, but still not great. If they get the Red Sox in the ALDS, he’ll likely struggle, with perhaps some hits in a blowout or two in the series.

As for the World Series, I really don’t know. No real track record there.

4. October 5th, 2009 | 10:22 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

Pressed to it, my gut reaction is that he’ll be better than the last 4 series,

Well, it would be real hard to do worse than that, right? ;-)

5. JeremyM
      October 5th, 2009 | 11:34 pm

I’m sorry but I just hate when a blanket evaluation is made in baseball and it starts out with “since” or “excluding.” It just doesn’t make sense to me, because if the argument is that A-Rod is a choker in the playoffs, how can you simply exclude numbers from the playoffs? I’m not happy with the way he has performed since that game, but I just don’t think you can rule those numbers out because they don’t fit with the principle.

And really, I was looking at Posada’s playoff numbers the other day and they are really well below his career norms. One could make the argument that he isn’t fresh because he’s caught so many games, but this season (lazily not looking up the numbers) it seems he’s been rested pretty well.

I just hope A-Rod puts a rest to this argument, once and for all, this postseason.

6. JeremyM
      October 5th, 2009 | 11:43 pm

Any chance Girardi bats him 6th and then 8th? That still has to rank as the worst bit of managing I’ve seen in my years of watching baseball. Talk about messing with a guys head. A-Rod wasn’t very good in the previous postseason and in the 3 playoff games before that, but Torre did a hell of a job of making it a huge issue and deflecting blame in that particular postseason. He should’ve been let go after that stunt, frankly.

7. Evan3457
      October 6th, 2009 | 1:00 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Evan3457 wrote:

Pressed to it, my gut reaction is that he’ll be better than the last 4 series,

Well, it would be real hard to do worse than that, right?

Yeah, I suppose so. On the other hand, he could be just as bad.

8. clintfsu813
      October 6th, 2009 | 8:02 am

Honestly, I’m more worried about 1-9 than I am about A-rod. As long as everyone contributes I think we’ll be good to go.

9. Weekly Journalist
      October 6th, 2009 | 8:53 am

@ Steve Lombardi:

So, basically, A-Rod had a horrible game 2 against Carmona when the entire offense did NOTHING except for Melky’s solo homer, and in the rest of the series he was on base at a .500 clip. That has valuee, you know…and it’s pretty safe to say that in 2005 and 2007 teams were NOT going to let A-Rod beat them. Look at how much he was on base against the Angels.

Still waiting for your “breakdown” of Jeter’s at bats in that same series…

10. Corey
      October 6th, 2009 | 9:22 am

========
      you’re glossing over lisa’s fact that Jeter and Posada were worse than A-Rod.

11. October 6th, 2009 | 9:50 am

Corey wrote:

4you’re glossing over lisa’s fact that Jeter and Posada were worse than A-Rod.

It’s a cute attempt to get off the topic at hand, that’s all….

12. Corey
      October 6th, 2009 | 9:53 am

I have no problem with your ripping A-Rod, if you rip Jeter and Posada equally for that series.

13. clintfsu813
      October 6th, 2009 | 9:56 am

@ Corey:
      Wasnt just Jeter/Posada IIRC, lol. Most everyone has been tanking in October the last several years.

14. Corey
      October 6th, 2009 | 9:58 am

clintfsu813 wrote:

I know, I’m using them as an example since they are the golden boys.

15. butchie22
      October 6th, 2009 | 10:10 am

Steve, this is not baseball related BUT I feel like such an old fart listeing to Devil Woman again! I remember when it first came out. It was kinda /sorta a cautionary tale for guys like ELO’s Evil woman was.Nice to see it posted here ,it remonds me of a better simpler time……..

16. October 6th, 2009 | 12:24 pm

More A-Rod October stats from Joel Sherman -

He has one RBI in his last 16 postseason games. He is hitless in his last 18 postseason at-bats with runners in scoring position. He is hitless in his last 27 postseason at-bats with men on base. One of the elite RBI men in history has been rendered a T-ball reject in the clutch moments of October.

– - and the parade begins…

17. Evan3457
      October 6th, 2009 | 1:13 pm

We’re all aware of A-Rod’s failures in postseasons past, right?

Surely, this is one topic that has been adequately covered, hasn’t it?

If not, let’s have every media person and every fan who sees him in the street come up to him and ask, “Hey, Alex, why are you such a totally worthless choking loser?”

Just to make sure we get our message across to him.

That’s bound to lead to success, isn’t it?

How about someone behind him in the lineup pick him up if he starts failing again this year. How about everyone else 1-3 and 5-9? How about they hit as a team, like they DIDN’T in the last 4 games of 2004, and 2005, and 2006, and 2007. It might not work, but how’s about they try it?

People forget this, but in the 2004 ALDS, and the 1st 3 1/2 games of the 2004 ALCS, as long as the team was hitting, Alex hit. Maybe he just needs to feel it’s not him alone. That’s not a leader; that’s not $30 million a year’s worth, but it might actually help the Yanks win a title, and that’s the whole point of this exercise, isn’t it?

18. October 6th, 2009 | 2:07 pm

Steve, you wrote: “Classic deflection. Supporters of Cashman say “Never mind Cashman, what about Theo!” And, supporters of A-Rod say “Never mind A-Rod, look at FILL IN THE BLANK!”

It’s a cute attempt to get off the topic at hand, that’s all….”

Um,no, Steve. I of course respect that this is your blog and all, but it’s a fair question. Jeter and Posada were terrible in that series. Both of them failed, repeatedly, in the clutch. Yet you seem to blame A-Rod singlehandedly for that series, down to microanalyzing every single swing, and leave them off the hook.

I don’t. Torre’s mismanagement is my top reason the Yanks lost (not pulling team off field during bug game, etc.) then Wang, then Jeter and Posada, then A-Rod. So why are you making A-Rod the scapegoat for that series? Do you honestly think he is the No. 1 reason that they lost in 2007? C’mon now.

And you quote more stats from Joel Sherman’s New York Post piece. But he also wrote this today, in that same article:

“I am here to say it is about time that we all stop using A-Rod as a convenient scapegoat should things go wrong for the Yankees in October. Let us assume that the highest-paid player in the history of baseball continues to gag in this Division Series. That still leaves the Yankees the highest-paid catcher, first baseman, shortstop, starting pitcher and closer in history to do something about it.”

Is he deflecting, too? ‘;)

19. GDH
      October 6th, 2009 | 4:40 pm

Thank you lisaswan. Very well put. I clearly remember Jeter stinking up the joint against Detroit, not just Alex. This team is where it is because they hit and play as a team. Let’s hope Girardi is smart enough to reinforce that – I think he is. That and, for goodness sake, don’t make us watch Nick Swisher try to bunt.

20. October 6th, 2009 | 4:43 pm

@ GDH: Actually, I’ve been very impressed with Swisher’s ability to bunt this season.

21. October 6th, 2009 | 4:47 pm

@ lisaswan: Let’s make a bet…If A-Rod bats a buck-eighty in the ALDS, with 5 K’s, and the Yanks lose, then you have to do something for this blog…but, it A-Rod bats .400 in the ALDS, with 5 RBI, and the Yanks win, then I have to do something for your blog….of course, we’d have to agree on that “what”… ;-)

22. Corey
      October 6th, 2009 | 6:28 pm
    23. October 7th, 2009 | 2:44 pm

Steve,

Yes, let’s do it! (I think .400 is a little high to aim for, though!)

Not sure what the stakes should be? A graphic of I heart A-Rod, or I hate A-Rod, on our sites?

24. YankCrank
      October 7th, 2009 | 3:30 pm

I wish we had made a bet on Swisher this year.

25. October 7th, 2009 | 3:30 pm

Game 1 starts in 150 minutes. Too late to place a bet now. Come back to me before the ALCS – maybe we can do it then, he says, hoping that there will be an ALCS in Yankeeland…