• Molina To Catch Burnett In ALDS

Posted by on October 6th, 2009 · Comments (11)

I called this one a week ago.

And, Jorge Posada is not happy about it:

“I just hope we win that game,” Posada said. “That’s all I’ve got to say.” He added, “It’s not like I didn’t see it coming.”

Ouch.

Comments on Molina To Catch Burnett In ALDS

1. Corey
      October 6th, 2009 | 2:17 pm

*groans*

2. MJ
      October 6th, 2009 | 3:06 pm

I’d rather Molina catch if it means that AJ will pitch a quality start as opposed to getting lit up like he seems to do when Posada’s catching. True, you’d rather have your best lineup in there but if Burnett holds the Twins/Tigers to 3 ER, I still like the team’s chances to score 4 even with Posada on the bench.

3. YankCrank
      October 6th, 2009 | 3:14 pm

MJ wrote:

If Posada is even on the bench. Do you DH him and sit Matsui?

4. Corey
      October 6th, 2009 | 3:24 pm

YankCrank wrote:

If Posada is even on the bench. Do you DH him and sit Matsui?

No. Once Burnett is out of the game, you pinch hit Posada for Molina. Plus, if Molina gets hurt and Posada is the DH, you lose the DH when Posada moves over to catch.

5. YankCrank
      October 6th, 2009 | 3:25 pm

Corey wrote:

*groans*

Agreed.

6. Corey
      October 6th, 2009 | 3:31 pm

Let’s say you pinch hit for Molina with Posada after Burnett exits, and then Posada gets hurt. Do you let Hairston try to catch (as apparently he’s the emergency catcher) or do you put Cervelli on the roster just in case?

7. butchie22
      October 6th, 2009 | 4:01 pm

Molina in the lineup weakens the offense,BUT what is more impotant in the playoffs? Defense/pitching or offense? I say defense/ pitching and if Burnit needs to pitch to Molina then so be it. It takes a bat out of the lineup BUT increases the chances of runners getting thrown out and the game being pitched better.

I don’t really care if the De Facto Capitain is happy with it or not. The last time I checked ,Gym Teacher Joe is manager and he’s not. They haven’t won anything since 2000,so he should grin and bear it.

@ Corey, not a bad idea about pinch hitting Georgie for Jose. I hope Girardi and Co ,monitors this fine blog……..

8. jessicam
      October 6th, 2009 | 4:44 pm

i wonder if joe just sprung this on Jorge. if so shame on joe, if not shame on Jorge. heading into the playoffs the team needs to present a united front. Jorge can be annoyed, but he should keep it to himself instead of creating the perception that there are personal agendas at stake.

and for what it’s worth, i agree with the move i think. AJ needs to be given every opportunity to excel in his start.

9. GDH
      October 6th, 2009 | 4:48 pm

Butchie, awesome. “Gym Teacher Joe” will stick with me throughout the playoffs.

Absolutely anything that gives AJ a chance to pitch a better game should be done. Everyone seems to agree that he’s a major key to our success in the postseason, it’s surprising that many would disagree with this move, and a little disappointing that JP would speak out like that.

10. MJ
      October 6th, 2009 | 4:56 pm

jessicam wrote:

I doubt it was just sprung on Posada at the last minute. Furthermore, as much as Posada might be irritated, I’m also sure that there was some journalistic license taken with his tone/attitude insofar as while he might be upset about the decision, there is absolutely no chance that Posada lets this distract him from the greater goals of the team. He may or may not have a good series but it won’t be because of this issue.

11. Evan3457
      October 6th, 2009 | 5:21 pm

Posada last won a ring in 2000.

If this helps the Yanks win a ring this year, I’m all for it. If AJ pitches well, that helps them win.

And I have news for Jorge…he’d best be prepared to DH more in the last 2 years of his 4-year deal, because Montero and Romine are a’comin’…