• October 7th Vs. The Twins

Posted by on October 7th, 2009 · Comments (25)

I’m not sure why I feel this way…but…I think Kate Hudson was at this game.

Really, TBS, did you have to show her that many times? The George “Big Head” Lopez promos…sure…that…I understand. But, unless Kate Hudson has a new show coming up on their network, there was really no need to show her that many times, was there? (She’s still “Kate Hudson,” right? Or, do we have to start calling her “Aaaa…Bee-Star…for Aaaa-Rod!” yet?)

Moving on to the game…hey…it all went according to script, huh? The Yankees best starting pitcher faced the Twins most inexperienced starting pitcher and New York beat Minny, 7-2.

Sure, you may want to say that the Twins were exhausted, playing that crazy game on Tuesday, and getting into New York after 3 AM on game day. And, sure, you may want to say that, in reality, with just a couple of key hits here and there – not many, just a couple – and a few less at’em liners by Twins batters, then this contest is a lot closer than the five-run win for the Yanks.

But, the heck with that, right? CC Sabathia, despite throwing what seemed like too many pitches, got the job done – and his numbers would have looked even better if Jorge Posada didn’t have a nightmare evening behind the plate. Phil Hughes got a big out in the seventh. Everybody drafted by the Yankees since 2002 except for Ian Kennedy got to pitch in the eighth inning. And, even Alex Rodriguez had a couple of RBI singles! How ’bout that! And, of course, there was the Godzilla homer. Hideki Matsui is truly beloved by his teammates. Man, is he going to be missed. (Speaking of missed, between Sabathia in this game and Cliff Lee in the Phillies game…yikes…it must hurt to be a Tribe fan today.) Outside of the aforementioned Posada and Mo Rivera throwing too many pitches in a non-save situation, all was great in Yankeeland today.

Oh, that’s right, Derek Jeter had a big game today too. How silly of me to forget…for a moment.

O.K., now, here’s the deal. The Yankees win this one, Game One, by a score of seven to two. And, that’s enough to make the rest of your Wednesday a happy time – and carry over some into Thursday as well. But, let us not forget…

In 2005, the Yankees won Game One of the ALDS by a score of four to two. And, in 2006, the Yankees won Game One of the ALDS by a score of of eight to four. And, we know how those two ALDS ended, don’t we?

So, here’s what the Yankees now need to do: DO NOT ALLOW THE TWINS TO WIN A GAME IN THIS ALDS – NOT ONE.

Remember Game Two of the 2005 ALDS? How about Game Two of the 2006 ALDS? Shoot, what about Game Two of the 2002 ALDS? Or, Game Four of the 2003 World Series? Heck, while we’re at it, what about Game Six of the 2001 World Series and Game Four of the 2004 ALCS?

When you have a team down on the ground and your foot is clamped down on their throat, you better finish them off…because, sometimes, if you let them win one game…just one win…that little bit of daylight becomes just what they need to recharge and spring back at you.

No pressure, A.J., really, no pressure…but, whatever you do, don’t allow the Twins to get back off the mat in Game Two, please…pretty, pretty, please. O.K.?

Comments on October 7th Vs. The Twins

1. MJ
      October 7th, 2009 | 10:45 pm

Look, it’s just a little much to expect that the Yanks sweep. It’s not to say that they can’t — clearly they can since they swept plenty of series this year — but I don’t think it’ll be the end of the world if the Yanks *only* win the series 3-1.

My thoughts on the game:

-CC did his job and got a little October monkey off his back. This was the best start of his career in the post-season;
      -A-Rod did his job and got a little October monkey off his back. I do believe that the last time he faced the Twins in October, he beat up on them. Nice to face the Twins again for A-Rod to get the ball rolling;
      -Swisher not only had the go-ahead RBI but also made an excellent throw to save a run from scoring in the 7th. He worked with Dave Eiland in July/August to improve his throwing and it’s definitely made a difference;
      -Posada’s defensive incompetence is unacceptable. I appreciate that as an unofficial captain of the team, his pride won’t allow him to take the Game 2 benching without a grumble of irritation but, frankly, if you can’t catch balls thrown right at you then you don’t even belong in the big leagues;
      -Although YankCrank made a good point to me (offline) that Girardi was getting all his main bullpen arms some work just to make sure they weren’t stale, I still thought it was a bit much to require four pitchers to get seven outs; and
      -Mark Teixeira needs to change his approach for Game 2. Way too eager, hacking at bad pitches early in the count. He missed the party tonight.

A very good win in very satisfying fashion. Our ace did his job and Jeter, Swisher and A-Rod did their jobs too. It’s good to break in the new ballpark with a W.

Magic number is now 10.

October 7th, 2009 | 10:51 pm

Yeah, Posada didn’t help his case today…

3. Pat F
      October 7th, 2009 | 10:54 pm

was at the game tonight. first game i’ve been to all year that felt like a yankee game, which was just awesome. lot of 2 strike energy behind cc right from the start, lot of willing rallies on, and a lot, a lot of eruptions when big things happened. great game, great win, and just great to feel like the yankee stadium homefield advantage was back again.

4. MJ
      October 7th, 2009 | 10:56 pm

Pat F wrote:

just great to feel like the yankee stadium homefield advantage was back again.

I had a feeling that the new ballpark would eventually get a “lived in” feel once we got into October. We just needed to get a little dirt on it and break it in some. We’re getting there. We just need to get 10 more wins…

5. JeremyM
      October 7th, 2009 | 11:35 pm

Oh my God, Torre just brought Weaver into a big playoff game in relief- I feel like Rambo when he used to have those Nam flashbacks……

Funny, I thought the crowd sounded kind of quiet. Then again, my wife kept making me turn the volume on the TV down.

That’s interesting on Swisher working with Eiland on throwing MJ, I hadn’t heard that.

Teixeira was definitely overanxious, he’ll settle down I hope. A-Rod swung at garbage in his second at bat to strike out, but other than that he swung the bat very well.

Jeter. Wow. And I still think Matsui will find his way back next season- and really, I think he should, although it’s better to let go one year early then one year late. I still don’t agree with the DH-for-resting-vets idea.

6. Pat F
      October 7th, 2009 | 11:47 pm

agreed mj.

jeremym – it got pretty quiet for a while, especially after the 2 run inning for the twins. almost like a here we go again type feel. but after jeter homered it was electric the rest of the night. at least where i was sitting, but it seemed that way around the rest of the stadium as well.

agree with you totally on matsui too (how many better DH’s were there in the AL?), but just glad we have him for 2 run blasts right now, and hoping for a lot more of it the rest of the postseason!

7. jessicam
      October 7th, 2009 | 11:48 pm

Great win by the Yanks tonight. I know Teixeira had a bad night, but to say he needs to change his approach after 4 at bats seems a little knee jerk. After the career Mark has put together I’d trust him to know what approach to follow :)

Also, i’m sure that if the Yankees lose a game in this series it won’t be because they consciously decided that winning wasn’t important and that it was ok to lose a game, so I’m not sure that exhorting them to not allow Minnesota to win a game is all that valuable. I’m sure it’s the plan to win all the games they play. But if teams could just decide to win every game, every game would go on indefinitely or something silly like that.

Anyway, totally agree with the sentiment, it will make me nervous if they lose a game, and I don’t want to be nervous. :)

Go Yanks!

8. Evan3457
      October 8th, 2009 | 12:21 am

I was there tonight as well. My first postseason home game. Finally stuck a crowbar in my wallet and ponied up.

It was terrific. Twins had the early momentum, but Jeter’s shot leveled things, and then the Yanks overwhelming superiority (this game, this pitching matchup) gradually ground the Twins into the dust.

The Twins will make their stand in Game 2 behind Blackburn. Molina’s catching, so AJ should be all right, and if he’s all right, the other 8 hitters will do enough damage on Blackburn for the Yanks to grab a 2-0 lead.

Call it, I dunno, 6-4 Yanks.

9. Tresh Fan
      October 8th, 2009 | 12:32 am

Things are indeed looking good for the Yanks.

A few points:
      In this game the Twins had 10 basehits—and just 1 RBI.

Posada didn’t look all that good; but then, how many teams have gotten through the Post Season with a 38 year old catcher?

Kudos to the Yanks for all those 2 out RBIs. We haven’t seen much of them this time of year for quite a spell.

Game 2 becomes crucial. There’s no letting up now. Git R Done!

10. GDH
      October 8th, 2009 | 1:55 am

Matsui has definitely earned his way back on the Yankees. What more would he havet do – play outfield? Why? Why can’t we have a bench that rotates quality vets into the game instead of a revolving DH? Matsui is an incredibly consistent hitter, hits with power, and destroys lefties. And I would bet that he is a major plus in the clubhouse because he is a standup guy and a Japanese mensch. Keep Matsui-san. And may he destroy Lester in the ALCS.

11. G.I. Joey
      October 8th, 2009 | 2:06 am

As soon as I stepped off of the subway it felt noticeably different around the stadium. More people outside, more cops walking around, and it was earlier in the evening. Many people had that look on their face that said “let’s get this done.” As mentioned by Pat F, everyone was behind CC from the start and really letting him hear it on 2 strikes. Jorge kind of sucked the air out of the place with his adventures behind the plate, but Jeter threw down a thunderbolt with his dinger and the electricity was back. It was cool to see him pull that shot after being so used to him going opposite field. I’d also like to make note that even hecklers stepped it up a notch tonight. Jason Kubel was getting the business in right field. It was way worse than when J.D. Drew was here a few weeks ago.

I was really disappointed at the beginning of the season when the crowd at the new stadium, with the exception of the creatures, snoozed their way through games and were too busy to notice a baseball game going on because they were stuffing their faces nonstop. We’ve come a long way, but we’re not quite there yet in terms of getting that place rocking. Tonight’s game was a good start, but I know we’re going to get louder and crazier as we go deeper into October.

12. clintfsu813
      October 8th, 2009 | 7:19 am

I was looking for two things to happen. CC to pitch well, and Arod to come up big. Boy, those first 2 ABs for him looked like old times. But he came through with 2 RBI’s and hopefully continues it Friday. Also, I was ok with the bullpen getting some work. Those guys are gonna have to get it done, just like they did last night. Very impressed with Hughes tonight. The kid seems to have no fear.

13. MJ
      October 8th, 2009 | 8:17 am

clintfsu813 wrote:

I was looking for…Arod to come up big. Boy, those first 2 ABs for him looked like old times.

Actually I thought his first AB was a good one. He fouled off a few tough pitches and then hit the ball well to RF but had the wind hold it up and turn it into a flyout. If you watch video of that first AB and compare it to the swing he put on his laser-beam line drive for the second RBI single, I think you’d find that those swings were nearly identical. He drove the ball to the opposite field with a nice, quick (and effortless) swing. I agree that his second AB (the strikeout) wasn’t a good one but I thought the first one was just fine.

14. clintfsu813
      October 8th, 2009 | 9:03 am

@ MJ:
      I agree with you there. I was saying to myself..Dammit on the out, but a nice cut..The hits will come. At the time of the first two ABs, I was just picturing the haters: Nice swings, but once again cant get it done.

15. MJ
      October 8th, 2009 | 9:10 am

@ clintfsu813:
      Definitely. As much as I thought he put a good swing on the ball, even I said to myself, “damnit, this guy can’t buy a hit.”

16. Corey
      October 8th, 2009 | 9:13 am

========
      LOL I thought the same EXACT thing! Except Weaver did his job somehow!? Who would have thought, bringing Jeff Weaver into the game with the bases loaded would pay off?
      =========
      GDH Says: Matsui is an incredibly consistent hitter
      =========
      Not true at all, Matsui is actually one of the more streakiest hitters on the team.

17. YankCrank
      October 8th, 2009 | 9:14 am

Last night really showed the beauty of the New York Yankees. Tex, Damon, Posada, Cano and Melky (more than half our lineup) pretty much do nothing combined at the plate but Jeter, Alex, Matsui and Swish step up and make it happen. It’s nice to know over half your lineup can have an off night but you’re still capable of scoring 7 runs. Add in dominant pitching from CC and it was enjoyable to watch our boys go up 1-0 in this series.

What else is there to sya that you all haven’t said? Jorgy had a tough night, love him and feel for him but it was ugly. CC and Alex needed those performances to get everyone off their backs, and now it comes down to AJ. I hope he has his A stuff.

Man, imagine the mass panic that would be going on right now if the Yankees had lost last night?

18. Corey
      October 8th, 2009 | 9:23 am

Why, not that I’m complaining, do teams still try to match Matsui up with lefties? He hit’s just as well, if not better, against them? Granted the Twins bullpen was rather depleted, but still.

19. MJ
      October 8th, 2009 | 9:25 am

YankCrank wrote:

and now it comes down to AJ. I hope he has his A stuff.

Agree, AJ’s gotta bring it tomorrow night.

The nice thing is that now that CC and Alex did their jobs — and the fact that the team won — the only question mark is AJ. We don’t have to go into Game 2 with (1) the pressure of having lost Game 1 and (2) having to talk about how Alex or CC didn’t do their jobs.

It’s nice that the only things on our minds for the next 48 hours are AJ giving us another 6 2/3 innings of good work and just winning the ballgame. The other crap can be put on hold.

20. MJ
      October 8th, 2009 | 9:27 am

Corey wrote:

Agreed. Furthermore, as Keith Law tweeted last night, why take out a lefty (Duensing) for another lefty (Liriano)? It’s not like Liriano’s even good anymore so why take out a slightly below average lefty for a far below average one?

21. GDH
      October 8th, 2009 | 10:19 am

Corey wrote:

While I would agree that he has been streaky, year in and year out (except when injured in 06 and 08), Matsui has been consistently good for around 25 HR, 100 RBI and a slightly sub .300/.400 avg/obp. Plus, unlike in years past, this year I do not recall too many o-fers on Matsui like there have been for some of the other guys. Those are pretty good DH numbers, no?

October 8th, 2009 | 10:25 am

Corey wrote:

========

Just goes to show the randomness of the postseason :)

23. JeremyM
      October 8th, 2009 | 10:40 am

SportsCenter didn’t even replay Matsui’s home run. Poor Matsui gets no love. I don’t think I’ve ever seen him smile as much as he was last night- other than when he beat Jeter and Abreu in the wedding bet….

24. Corey
      October 8th, 2009 | 10:46 am

GDH wrote:

That just shows you how streaky he is, as Michael Kay says too often, Matsui is like the girl with the curl.

25. MJ
      October 8th, 2009 | 11:07 am

Corey wrote:

as Michael Kay says too often, Matsui is like the girl with the curl.

LOL, that just made me crack up and shoot coffee through my nose.