• A.J. On Ice?

Posted by on October 8th, 2009 · Comments (8)

Is one of my fears coming true tomorrow? Via AccuWeather.com, the forecast for the Bronx on the night of Game 2 of the 2009 ALDS:

RainGame2_ALDS2009

Sam Borden paints the grim picture of what may result from this forecast.

My bet? Expect, at the worst, a rain-delay to start the game on Friday. It will be somewhere between one and three hours. That will really mess with TBS. They have the Bosox-Angels at 9:30 pm ET. And, over on TNT, they have a limited commercial showing of the movie Hitch at 9 pm (ET). Looks like Hitch will get bumped…

But, the bigger question is: If there’s a delay to the game, will A.J. Burnett be adversely impacted? Probably not…he doesn’t seem Mussina-ish. But, then again, it will be the first career post-season start for A.J. And, maybe, sitting around, waiting to pitch, will mess with his head?

I know a timeout can ice a kicker, but, can a rain-delay ice a pitcher? Maybe…you never know…or, as Robert Van Winkle would say…Word to your mother.

Comments on A.J. On Ice?

1. MJ
      October 8th, 2009 | 11:21 pm

It all depends on the kind of rain predicted. If it’s a driving, pouring rain, they’ll obviously delay the game or even postpone it (although it looks like it should clear up after 7). If it’s just that annoying, misty, spitting rain, they’ll just play and everything will be fine.

2. October 8th, 2009 | 11:28 pm

I doubt the will call it – given the forecast. They’ll just wait it out…they waited out a rain delay of one hour and 31 minutes to start Game 3 of the World Series last year.

3. clintfsu813
      October 9th, 2009 | 7:51 am

2 words..Retractable.Roof. Ugh!

4. MJ
      October 9th, 2009 | 8:52 am

clintfsu813 wrote:

2 words..Retractable.Roof. Ugh!

I really have mixed feels about that. For one, the intention was to build a modern, updated version of the original Yankee Stadium. I understand that a retractable roof falls under the “modern” category but it would really change the way the ballpark looked and would be a departure from the original design. Additionally, when your stadium costs $1.5B and receives a lot of state funding, it’s hard to justify that the taxpayers should pick up an additional cost.

As I argued in another thread earlier this week, the total effect amounts to no more than 20 games all season. Given that the Yankees are hosting their 85th home game (2 exhibition games, plus 2 playoff games so far), I don’t think this number is that significant. How many postponed home games did we have this year? Three? Four?

5. clintfsu813
      October 9th, 2009 | 9:48 am

@ MJ:
      I totally agree with you here. I just haaaate rainouts. For someone like me living in FL, coming up to a Yanks game is a huge deal. I’m coming up there for the sole reason of seeing a game. If I come up and can only catch say a Sunday game and it gets postponed for rain…I’m screwed.

6. MJ
      October 9th, 2009 | 9:54 am

@ clintfsu813:
      I know what you mean and I agree. Rainouts sucks for everyone, and especially for out-of-towners that only get a one shot deal to go to the game.

October 9th, 2009 | 10:43 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Yep. And I’m still annoyed about 2006.

8. jessicam
      October 9th, 2009 | 12:28 pm

Does “word to your mother” mean the same thing as “maybe you never know”? I’m confused.