• It’s All In The Spin

Posted by on October 8th, 2009 · Comments (10)

ESPN.com just published the following story.  I’m nearly certain that every major sports news site will try to paint it as evidence of dischord and disharmony in the Yankee clubhouse, a place that is famously described as “corporate” and “tense” whenever it’s convenient for a writer to do so.

But if you drown out the background noise and read the important part of this story, you’ll really like what AJ Burnett says here.

I’ve thrown good to both [catchers]. My good games, I’m right. My bad games, it’s not the catcher, it’s me … When I’m good, it doesn’t matter which one is behind the plate.

Look at that, folks!  AJ Burnett took responsibility for his failures (Joba, take notes; this is how it’s done, son).  I’ll bet no ESPN scribe would ever point that out, as it would interfere with their effort to portray Burnett as a renegade clubhouse back-stabber.

It’s making me out to be the bad guy again…And obviously Jorge’s upset. He’s a big part of this team. He’s a leader on and off the field and hopefully his mind will be right to get in there and get a pinch hit when the time comes.

I love this Burnett guy.   I hope he lights up the radar gun and tosses zeroes.  I hope he teaches the mainstream sports media a lesson at the Twins’ expense.

How’s that for some rah-rah fanboy stuff on an off-day?

-Posted by MJ

Comments on It’s All In The Spin

1. YankCrank
      October 8th, 2009 | 2:54 pm

Love it MJ, and honestly that’s all AJ has shown us all year. He’s been a consistently fun and honest teammate from everything we’ve seen and I also hope he mows the Twins down on Friday night.

The good thing about winning game 1 is that no extra pressure is on AJ. He should just go out there, let his ability take over and keep us in the game long enough to solve Blackburn. I have some really good feelings about game 2, and then hopefully putting this series away at the extent of d-bag Carl Pavano in game 3.

2. Corey
      October 8th, 2009 | 3:02 pm

YankCrank wrote:

He’s been a consistently fun and honest teammate

I wonder how honest he really is…You think Girardi made his decision without asking AJ who he’d rather throw to? This is just damage control (which is fine by me).

3. MJ
      October 8th, 2009 | 3:22 pm

@ YankCrank:
      Definitely hope he feels no pressure and just goes out there firing BB’s and gets the W.

Nothing would be sweeter than to be up 2-0 heading to Minnesota with a chance to bury Pavano and end the Minnesota’s season.

October 8th, 2009 | 3:52 pm

I love this Burnett guy.

Ya know, I remember when the Yanks were first considering signing him… Glad to see you’ve come around :D

5. MJ
      October 8th, 2009 | 4:09 pm

@ Raf:
      Raf, you’re 100% correct and I have to own up to that. I do believe that I said I’d forfeit my season tickets over the Burnett signing. What a rash, hasty fool I was!

6. JeremyM
      October 8th, 2009 | 6:47 pm

To me, game 2 is a big one, because as I have said before, I have this irrational fear of Carl Pavano turning into Kenny Rogers circa 2006 and putting the Yanks down 2 to 1. So I hope we see good AJ!

7. Corey
      October 8th, 2009 | 7:14 pm

JeremyM wrote:

It’s not entirely irrational…Pavano has actually pitched decently against the yankees this year: In 2 starts spanning 13 1/3 innings, he’s given up 11 hits and 1 walk, while striking out 8 to the tune of a 2.70 ERA. He does not, however, have a decision.

Not to mention this God awful game:

8. MJ
      October 8th, 2009 | 9:40 pm

@ Corey:
      I have to believe that the Yanks will get to Carl eventually. He’s had a better season that people realize and a better season than anyone in New York cares to admit but the fact remains that he’s still a scrub.

9. Corey
      October 8th, 2009 | 10:08 pm

@ MJ:
      I was just saying that his feelings of fear toward Pavano are not irrational, as he’s pitched well against us in the past.

10. MJ
      October 8th, 2009 | 10:22 pm

@ Corey:
      Oh, I know. I don’t even disagree…I just have a feeling we’re going to beat his ass on Saturday.