• Six Or More With Three Or Less, Please

Posted by on October 10th, 2009 · Comments (6)

The 1995 Yankees.
    The 1999 Indians.
    The 2001 A’s.
    The 2003 A’s.

These were all teams who had a 2-0 lead in an ALDS and then blew it (losing the next three games in a row). Is there a common thread here?

In Game 3 of the 1995 ALDS, Yankees starter Jack McDowell went 5 innings allowing 5 runs. And, in Game 4 of the 1995 ALDS, Yankees starter Scott Kamieniecki went 5 innings allowing 5 runs.

In Game 3 of the 1999 ALDS, Indians starter Dave Burba was only able to go four innings – and he was followed by Jaret Wright who allowed 5 runs in the next two innings. And, in Game 4 of the 1999 ALDS, Indians starter Bartolo Colon only went one inning allowing 7 runs.

In Game 3 of the 2001 ALDS, the A’s lost a heart-breaker by the score of 1-0. And, in Game 4 of the 2001 ALDS, A’s starter Cory Lidle went 3 1/3 innings allowing 6 runs.

In Game 3 of the 2003 ALDS, the A’s lost a heart-breaker in 11 innings by the score of 3-1. And, in Game 4 of the 2003 ALDS, A’s starter Tim Hudson had to leave the game after just one inning.

The Yankees, in their current ALDS, have a 2-0 lead in the series with Andy Pettitte scheduled to start Game 3. If needed, he will be followed by CC Sabathia to start Game 4.

Looking at those teams who lost an ALDS after being up, 2-0, I think the message to Pettitte and Sabathia is clear: Don’t screw this up like the 1995 Yankees and 1999 Indians – by getting banged around in your starts. And, don’t screw this up like the 2001 and 2003 A’s by losing a heart-breaker or getting banged around.

O.K., so, the not losing a heart-breaker in Game 3 also falls upon the Yankees bats too…I know. But, with Carl Pavano starting for the Twins in Game 3, the Yankees should have no problem scoring runs…at least on paper. So, it all falls back to Andy and CC.

Just give us a quality start…and everything should be fine.

Comments on Six Or More With Three Or Less, Please

1. dave24s
      October 10th, 2009 | 10:51 pm

I’m scratching my head here, Steve…

Basically what you’re saying here is, “don’t lose”.

I know you don’t wear the blinders and all that, and really, I respect that. I try to keep them off as well. But egads man, you really seem down on this team for some reason.

the 103 wins, the improved pitching, the team chemistry, the never say die/never quit attitude, the come from behind wins, the clutch hits, the great bullpen….None of that has your confidence up at all??

2. October 10th, 2009 | 10:59 pm

@ dave24s:
      Nope. If the 2004-2008 Yankees have done anything, it’s taught me to hope that they win but don’t be shocked when they lose. And, until a Yankees team comes along to make me think “These guys can beat the best of the best” without having to hope for it to happen, I don’t see that feeling that the 2004-2008 Yankees has dumped on me going anywhere…

3. Evan3457
      October 11th, 2009 | 6:29 am

Well…who is the best?

The Angels? The Yanks just beat them 3 out of 4.
      The Red Sox? The Yanks just beat them 9 out of 10.

The Dodgers? Maybe.
      The Phillies? Maybe.

Both those teams will have to prove it. The Phillies winning 2 of 3 from them in May means little at this point.

4. redbug
      October 11th, 2009 | 6:49 am

Pavano makes me a bit concerned. In his 2 starts vs the Yanks this yr, he went 13.1 innings; gave up 11 hits; 4 earned runs; 1HR; 1 BB; 8 K’s; and only a 2.70 ERA. No decision in either but he pitched well.

5. ken
      October 11th, 2009 | 11:03 am

We all know that Pettitte can come up big when needed. He should also neutralize the Twins left handed hitters. But if he doesn’t then I like my chances with CC tomorrow.

However, all the talk here of who is the ‘better’ team ignores the fact that of all the major team sports, upsets in baseball playoffs do happen. Having a football mentality doesn’t help in this game.

‘On paper’, Lester and Beckett should have beat beat Lackey and Weaver.

6. Evan3457
      October 11th, 2009 | 5:01 pm

ken wrote:

‘On paper’, Lester and Beckett should have beat beat Lackey and Weaver.

Well said.