• FOX Perry: ’09 ALCS To Be Grand One

    Posted by on October 12th, 2009 · Comments (11)

    Via Dayn Perry today –

    Get ready for one hell of an ALCS.

    You’ve got the two largest media markets in play, you’ve got bi-coastal tribalism, you’ve got two candidates for “Team of the Decade” honors, you’ve got two thunderous offenses, and — most of all — you’ve got the two best teams in baseball.

    Oh, and you’ve also got two teams coming off first-round redemption. The 97-win Angels, in defiance of ALDS history (coming in, they were 1-9 against the Red Sox in Division Series play), swept Boston out of the postseason, and the 103-win Yankees — after giving the three-game bum’s rush to Minnesota — have advanced to the ALCS for the first time since 2004 (in Yankee Land, this qualifies as a “drought”).

    Give the slightest, most marginal of nods to the Yankees because of the bullpen, defense and Sabathia. New York in seven. This one has the makings of a white-knuckled classic.

    The Yankees are a candidate for “Team of the Decade” honors? Really? How?

    In any event, will this ALCS be one for the ages? At first blush, without doing any heavy analysis, I think it’s going to be a close one – and would not be shocked to see it go six or seven games. How about you? What are you thoughts about the ALCS this season – now that we know it’s the Yanks and Halos?

    Comments on FOX Perry: ’09 ALCS To Be Grand One

    1. yagottagotomo1
      October 12th, 2009 | 12:28 pm

      If the Yankees win the WS, off the top of my head, they will have as many titles as anyone in the decade, more wins, more division titles and playoff appearances, more appearances in the LCS and World Series than anyone in the decade.

    2. Tresh Fan
      October 12th, 2009 | 12:33 pm

      @ yagottagotomo

      I totally agree. And if the Yankees DO go all the way what other team could you give the title of "Team of the Decade" to?

    3. October 12th, 2009 | 12:44 pm

      FWIW, the folks at CoolStandings.com are giving the Yankees a 54% win probability and the Angels a 46% WP – and saying the Yankees will win in six.

      Hey, I could live with that!

    4. October 12th, 2009 | 12:49 pm

      Tresh Fan wrote:

      And if the Yankees DO go all the way what other team could you give the title of “Team of the Decade” to?

      It’s an interesting question – Boston?

    5. Evan3457
      October 12th, 2009 | 12:49 pm

      The only rival for team of the decade would be the Red Sox.

      If the Yanks do go all the way….IF….

      Both teams have two titles.
      The teams will have faced each other twice in the ALCS, with each team winning a brutal 7-game knockdown dragout. The Sox appear to come out on top because of their 3-0 comeback, but they did blow game 7 in 2003 after leading 4-0 and 5-2 with their ace on the mound.
      The Yanks will have won 4 pennants, the Sox 2.
      The Yanks will have won the division 8 times, the Sox once.
      The Yanks will have gone 9-6 in playoff series, the Sox 7-3.
      The Yanks will have won the head to head 97-83 (104-90 if the two ALCS are included).
      The Yanks will have won 965 and lost 650 a WPCT of .598. The Sox will have won 920 and lost 699, a WPCT of .568. If the postseason records are included, Sox improve to .570, Yanks decline to .596.

      Sox sole advantage would be postseason W-L, because they had fewer playoff teams, but two went all the way.

      If the Yanks go all the way. Big if. If not, the Sox are the team of the decade. Maybe the Angels. No, the Sox, I guess.

    6. October 12th, 2009 | 1:06 pm

      FWIW, if the Phillies win this year, that’s 2 rings for them in the 2000′s too.

    7. MJ
      October 12th, 2009 | 1:08 pm

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      FWIW, the folks at CoolStandings.com are giving the Yankees a 54% win probability and the Angels a 46% WP – and saying the Yankees will win in six.
      Hey, I could live with that!

      I’m rooting for the Yanks to sweep or to win it in five. But if they MUST win in six, then so be it…because I have tickets to Game 6 of the ALCS! :-D

      But, really, I’d prefer that they take care of business promptly, efficiently and ruthlessly.

    8. October 12th, 2009 | 1:19 pm

      @ MJ: Yeah, I have tickets for Game 7. But, I’ll gladly take the credit on them if it means a Yankees win in 6 games or less.

    9. Corey
      October 12th, 2009 | 1:36 pm

      Steve Lombardi wrote:

      @ MJ: Yeah, I have tickets for Game 7. But, I’ll gladly take the credit on them if it means a Yankees win in 6 games or less.

      Ah is that how it works? So what you take that credit and put it towards next season’s package?

    10. October 12th, 2009 | 1:48 pm

      @ Corey: Yup.

      I think they also give you the option to get your $ back. But, in the past, if you took the $, then, IIRC, you ran the risk of losing your seat location on your season tickets. And, FWIW, IIRC, someone once told me, if you take the $ back, now, they take so long to get it to you that there’s little difference in doing that vs. taking the credit – considering when they bill you (around X-mas time) for the following season.

    11. G.I. Joey
      October 12th, 2009 | 2:34 pm

      @ Steve Lombardi:

      I elected to get my $ back and it will not risk the location of my seats, but you are correct that there’s little difference b/c it takes so long to get it back to you.

    Leave a reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.