• BA Ranks Yanks’ MiLB Prospects By League

Posted by on October 13th, 2009 · Comments (15)

Although the Yanks are in the middle of what we all hope is a deep and fruitful playoff run, the good folks at Baseball America are already working to provide prospect hounds with lists galore to sink their teeth into.

Over the past few weeks, they’ve already released their Top 20 Prospects for the New York-Penn (Short Season A), South Atlantic (Low-A), Florida State (High-A) and Eastern (Double A) Leagues.  Although BA has released their rankings for several other leagues, for our purposes we’ll only (briefly) focus on those leagues where the Yanks have affiliations.

NY-Penn League:
    Arodys Vizcaino, RHP (3)
    Adam Warren, RHP (12)
    Jimmy Paredes, 2B (14)
    Neil Medchill, OF (18)

Not a bad state of the union for the Staten Island Yankees, having four of the top 20 Short Season prospects in the league.  Of the four, only Vizcaino is considered an elite talent but it never hurts to see two of the members of the Yanks ’09 draft class already distinguishing themselves among their peers.  As an aside, I have a friend who raves about Adam Warren, having scouted him seven times over the past few years.  Although he “only” projects as a back-end starter, because he was a polished college pitcher he’ll probably be on the radar by early 2011, if not sooner.

South Atlantic League:
    Manny Banuelos, LHP (9)
    Melky Mesa, OF (20)

A little less to rave about here for the Charleston Riverdogs.  I’ve read nice things about Mexican League signee Banuelos, who, at 18 years old, looks like he might be ready for a promotion to Tampa in the very near future.  The other Melky is a raw prospect who is probably too old (22) to be down in Low-A but who does have some interesting tools.

Florida State League:
    Jesus Montero, C (2)
    Austin Romine, C (10)

Far be it for me to quarrel with the folks that do this for a living but I can’t really understand the value of ranking Montero as the second-best prospect in a league that he graduated from several months ago.  Suffice it to say that Montero’s bat was far too much for FSL pitchers to deal with and everyone was glad that he moved out of Tampa for good.  Oh, and that Romine kid took down FSL MVP honors this year.  Not too shabby.

Eastern League:
    Jesus Montero, C (5)
    Zach McAllister, RHP (19)

Hey, there HE is again!  Yankee fans shouldn’t be discouraged that Montero only finished 5th in the Eastern League ranking seeing as though he was not only the youngest player in the ranking but also that three of the four players ahead of him were first-round draft picks.  I know some Yankee fans are very high on McAllister but I just don’t like his game too much.  He had a great year and I’d be fine with them looking to trade him while he’s got value.

Anyway, since we’ve got four long days to kill before Game 1 of the ALCS, I figured I’d break the monotony with a little bit of MiLB news.

-Posted by MJ

Comments on BA Ranks Yanks’ MiLB Prospects By League

1. clintfsu813
      October 13th, 2009 | 10:00 am

Love the Prospect news..good job!

2. Corey
      October 13th, 2009 | 10:15 am

Montero, as we know by now is my home boy. I agree with you on McAllister, as it seems he may end up being a junkballer (his fastball tops is typically in the high 80s).

3. Corey
      October 13th, 2009 | 10:16 am

Mesa hits home runs, but strikes out a lot. He kind of reminds me of Shelley Duncan version 2.

4. MJ
      October 13th, 2009 | 10:24 am

Corey wrote:

Except he’s got speed and a cannon of an arm. Duncan gets credit for making it to the show and proving that he’s definitely a AAA-caliber player so Mesa has a long way to go if he wants to be Duncan…but there are definitely tools there that Duncan doesn’t have.

5. MJ
      October 13th, 2009 | 10:28 am

@ clintfsu813:
      Thanks Clint, I appreciate it!

On the overall, there was some good news and some bad news with these prospect lists. On the good side, it looks like the Yanks did a good job with the ’09 draft and have some guys at the beginning of the pipeline that could make some impact. On the bad side, the Red Sox and Rays have a lot more at the Low-A, High-A and Double-A levels right now. While I’m not particularly concerned with the Rays, it doesn’t make me happy to see the Red Sox continue to nail their picks so efficiently. They’ve got a couple of players on those lists (Casey Kelly, Ryan Westmoreland) that really impress me for the future.

6. Corey
      October 13th, 2009 | 10:45 am

MJ wrote:

Fear not, Montero will be our savior! (Pun intended)

7. MJ
      October 13th, 2009 | 11:06 am

Corey wrote:

Fear not, Montero will be our savior! (Pun intended)

I’ve never liked the idea of turning a young player into a full-time DH. Even unathletic fatties like Miguel Cabrera came up playing a defensive position. His true value lies in his ability to stay behind the plate but if he can’t do that, the Yanks better teach him how to play LF…

8. Corey
      October 13th, 2009 | 11:08 am

@ MJ:
      If I were the Yankees, I’d have a special offseason camp for all the prospect catchers and Tony Pena.

9. MJ
      October 13th, 2009 | 11:46 am

@ Corey:
      I couldn’t agree more. I don’t know where Tony lives in the off-season but I’d fly all the catchers to Tony’s house for a week and make sure they all learned from one of the really good ones.

10. Evan3457
      October 13th, 2009 | 9:17 pm

MJ wrote:

Corey wrote:

Fear not, Montero will be our savior! (Pun intended)

Un-uh. Not Left field at Yankee Stadium. It’s either catcher or right field, assuming he has a strong arm.

His ultimate position is likely 1st base for the Toronto Blue Jays in a deal for Halladay, or better still, 1st base for the Seattle Mariners in a deal for King Felix, say, oh, mid-2011, just before the M’s lose him to free agency.

11. Evan3457
      October 13th, 2009 | 9:18 pm

Corey wrote:

@ MJ:

Now, THAT is a terrific idea.

12. MJ
      October 14th, 2009 | 8:25 am

Evan3457 wrote:

I’d gladly trade him for Felix Hernandez. I wouldn’t touch any Halladay trade. It would be the Santana trade all over again (prospects + ridiculous contract extension) except for a guy that is already several years older than Santana was at the time of his trade.

13. October 16th, 2009 | 11:35 am

[...] BA Ranks Yanks’ MiLB Prospects By League / Jeter not fazed by new role in ‘09 [...]

14. October 19th, 2009 | 4:26 pm

[...] the loop on my previous post, BA.com released their Top 20 Prospects for the International (Triple A) [...]

15. October 22nd, 2009 | 3:10 pm

[...] with recently-published storylines about the state of the Yanks farm system, Baseball America released their [...]