• Wild Thought: Why Bother?

Posted by on October 20th, 2009 · Comments (23)

I was bothered by the Yankees loss in Game 3 of the 2009 ALCS. After all, how could a Yankees fan not be bothered by a loss like that? But, I was not as bothered as I expected to be bothered by such a loss – and I find that, the measure of my being bothered, bothersome.

Why was I not as bothered as I expected to be bothered? Perhaps the Yankees circa 2004-2008 have conditioned me to expect nothing and be prepared for anything and that’s why I wasn’t bothered as much as I was? But, in any event, it is still bothersome that I was not as bothered as normally bothered, at least to me.

So, that’s today’s wild thought – which is more a question, in reality. Were you bothered by the Yankees loss in Game 3? Were you bothered as much as you typically would be bothered by such a loss? And, if not, do you find it bothersome that you were not as bothered as you would normally be bothered?

Comments on Wild Thought: Why Bother?

1. MJ
      October 20th, 2009 | 12:11 pm

——–
      I was EXTREMELY bothered by the Yankees loss in Game 3 and I was as bothered as I would typically be bothered by such a loss. The game was theirs and they shit the bed. That bothers me tremendously.

I really want to win the World Series this year and I went from 95% certain it will happen to 70% certain the Yanks won’t make it out of the ALCS.

2. cr1
      October 20th, 2009 | 12:28 pm

1. No, for a couple of reasons. In the first place, as I’ve already mentioned elsewhere, I know we have an inexperienced manager with a tense, controlling personality, and I expect that to cost us a game once in a while. In this case, he made a series of decisions, large and small, that getting more experienced and more confident in post-season situations will probably help him eliminate in the future. He managed better this year than last year, and I expect he’ll continue to improve. In the second place, it seemed unrealistic to me from the start to imagine that we would be able to sweep the Angels.

2. Not really. I still think we’ll make it into the WS with a good possibility of winning it all.

3. MJ
      October 20th, 2009 | 12:43 pm

cr1 wrote:

I’m suddenly terrified of the Phillies. All of their guys are hitting and even though their rotation/bullpen suck, it doesn’t seem to be slowing them down.

4. Evan3457
      October 20th, 2009 | 12:47 pm

Yes, it bothered me. A lot. It usually does.

But I have no expectations. They could still win or lose any game of this series. The team they’re playing is just as good as they are.

If they hit better with RISP yesterday, they win.
      If Pettitte doesn’t hang the slider/cutter to Vlad, they win.
      If A-Rod gets his 2nd ball just a little better, they win.
      If Gardner isn’t outguessed by Scioscia, they win.
      If Joba doesn’t stink, they win.
      If Girardi doesn’t go to Aceves, it’s still tied, for a while, anyway.

The Angels have just as many of these things on their side. It’s a close game. It can go either way.

There’s a difference between seeing how many ways a close game could’ve been won or should’ve been won, and being upset by it. The latter is an emotional reaction; the former is an analysis that can lead to a plan of action to improve things, if done correctly by the people making decisions for the team.

5. YankCrank
      October 20th, 2009 | 12:52 pm

This loss didn’t bother me any more than any Yankee loss in the playoffs would bother me, and in general, I think Yankee fans are grossly overreacting to this loss.

The Yankees were bound to lose a game in the playoffs, and by winning the first two games, we put ourselves in a situation to recover from a game 3 loss. CC is on the hill tonight, we’re up 2-1 in the series and things can be far, far worst than our current situation. The Angels still need to win 3 of the next 4 games, 4 of 5 overall, to beat us. Two of those games are in the Bronx, two of those games will be started by CC Sabathia…see what i’m saying here?

Let’s see how tonight plays out and depending on the outcome, let the panic or joy commence.

6. cr1
      October 20th, 2009 | 12:55 pm

MJ wrote:

cr1 wrote:

Yes, and the fact that they are hitting at precisely the moment when a bunch of our guys are not is unpleasant. But even though our rotation is short, it is more of a strength than theirs, and our bullpen (when well managed) is a game changer. I am hoping that the Dodgers will continue making them work very hard for as long as possible and wear them down, even if they can’t beat them, over a long series.

7. butchie22
      October 20th, 2009 | 12:59 pm

Nice use of alliteration(or close to it I suppose). In some way, I was a little bothered by their Game 2 victory in some weird way because it camouflaged the shoddy defense, lack of RISP and the bullpen micro/mismangement by Gym Teacher Joe. In spite of themselves, they still won that game. They handed that game to Anaheim but the Angels handed it right back with their best imitation of Metness I’ve seen since the Twinkies in the ALDS! I was perturbed by the Game 3 ,3-0 score BECAUSE all the Yankee runs came from homers. Look, it’s nice to get any runs against someone like Weaver, BUT I felt they could have gotten some hits with RISP. It was a bad sign to me…..The loss in Game 3 was presaged in earlier games this post season. How well have they hit this post season with RISP? Not well. How greatly has Gym Teacher Joe managed the bullpen this post season? Not that well either. At this point, Joe should look at what they can do to right the ship. There needs to be better bullpen management,hitters need to move RISP better and drive them in. Hopefully this loss, will wake up all parties who have fallen to sleep(most notably the comatose and overrated Swisher and his twin, Robbie Cannot) and make the team to fix these mistakes before they can’t be overcome.

@ CR1 I like your optimism with regards to your point number 2. I too never thought that the Angels were easy opponents to begin with and never imagined the Angels were so easy to sweep. It’s not over yet, so people shouldn’t start jumping off bridges…….

8. MJ
      October 20th, 2009 | 1:01 pm

cr1 wrote:

I hope so too. It’s Hamels/Padilla for Game 5 tomorrow and I hope Padilla continues his hot streak or, failing that, Hamels continues his cold streak. Either one should get the Dodgers back to LA for Game 6.

If the Yanks should lose the ALCS, I gotta root for the Phililes to repeat. I can’t stand the Angels and the last thing I want is for Torre and Manny to win anything ever again.

9. butchie22
      October 20th, 2009 | 1:08 pm

YankCrank wrote:

Crank, Girardi looked better when his mismanaging worked,resulting in wins. Thankfully, many astute Yankee fans knew what their weaknesses are and that their mistakes are coming home to roost. They are a good team and they can make adjustments to overcome them accordingly. Just the same, the Angels (also a great team) haven’t been that crisp either to be brutally honest. The Yanks are not out of this yet are they , there’s still hope though………

I posed that CC/Game 7 question yesterday. CC gonna’s pitch on full rest for Game 7, do you really feel uneasy about that? I don’t quite frankly. I think the Angels are an amazing team BUT CC has been amazing so far. I don’t know how he’ll do in Game 4 but he’ll be good in Game 7 with full rest.

10. cr1
      October 20th, 2009 | 1:13 pm

@ MJ:
      Actually I wouldn’t mind seeing them win one more level, because the Dodgers look to me to be easier prey for the Yankees, but maybe that’s just me.

11. butchie22
      October 20th, 2009 | 1:15 pm

MJ wrote:

cr1 wrote:

I like the Phightin Phils, they have the most loathsome fans in baseball next to the Red Sox . They are passionate BUT they are not Massholes BUT Phillyholes! I don’t care if St Joe the Clueless or Manram win, or if Philly wins or the Anaheim Orange County Devils of Cali win quite honestly. Even though I think that Scioscia is the best manager in baseball, I like the way his team plays and their TV color analyst is the wacky/hyper former Yank (and proud to be a former Yankee) Rex Hudler. I just want the Yankees to win!

12. butchie22
      October 20th, 2009 | 1:17 pm

cr1 wrote:

@ MJ:

Dodgers are easier prey then the Phils are BUT careful what you/we wish for. The Tigers and the Marlins were supposed to be easy prey ,too and we know what happened in those series…….

13. MJ
      October 20th, 2009 | 1:21 pm

butchie22 wrote:

Agreed, except that Torre is no Jim Leyland or “Trader Jack” McKeon. Granted, our idiot learned at the teat of the Dodgers’ idiot, I still have faith that our idiot is marginally smarter than their idiot.

14. G.I. Joey
      October 20th, 2009 | 1:32 pm

I was also extremely bothered by yesterday’s loss and I couldn’t even bring myself to post anything on here after the game. I think what made it really bad for me is that some of my worst fears came true. I had this sinking feeling in the back of my head that it was only a matter of time before the lack of timely hitting with RISP and Girardi’s micromanaging of the pen would come and bite us in the ass.

What made it even worse on a personal note is that I purposely missed my train from Penn Station to LI so I would be able to watch the end of the game and not miss anything. The train ride home felt extra long as I was stewing in my seat the whole time.

15. cr1
      October 20th, 2009 | 1:34 pm

The Dodgers were my childhood team, as my family lived in LA back in the day, so I don’t usually wish them ill — except when it will impact the Yankees. When their doings impact our doings, what I hope for is whatever will give the Yankees the best chance to win. What I’m half-way hoping for right now is an NYY–LAD WS, but I agree with butchie22 that wishes like that can be dangerous, so I guess what I really mean in terms of the NLCS is: May The Worst Team Win.

16. butchie22
      October 20th, 2009 | 1:37 pm

MJ wrote:

butchie22 wrote:

MJ stop tossing the word idiot around, please reserve that for Cashman, Levine, and Trost ,please.:) Torre is more of a gut type of manger whereas Girardi is more of a notebook/stats/computer geek type of manager. Gym Teacher Joe might have learned under the tutelage of St Torre BUT he’s a bit difference. and is Torre that much of an idiot? He’s been in the post season every year since 96, he deserves some credit. And yes, he should have been fired after 2004 because he did such a terrible job, but he’s not an idiot. Maybe a bit clueless…BUT not an idiot. and Jimmy Leyland? He has his moments of being brilliant and looking like an idiot, reference his end with the Rockies. I would say that Torre is no Mike Sciscia and neither is Girardi! That being said, I see Gym Teacher joe as being La Russa Jr on crack sideway in reference to the pen,not Green Tea/Mellow Joe……

October 20th, 2009 | 1:44 pm

I dunno about bothered, but I was certainly annoyed by the time JHJr misplayed Mathis’ drive to LF.

18. butchie22
      October 20th, 2009 | 1:56 pm

cr1 wrote:

I hear ya on that one no doubt. The most telling thing on paper is that the Dodgers bullpen is so damn strong which is dangerous in the playoffs. They have some good hitters and a decent bench. Their starters are not as great as Cliff Lee is BUT they have some decent starters.

The Phightin Phils are are different kettle of fish entirely. Their starting lineup is American League-Like. they have a gutty gritty mentality that is more reminscient of a football squad than anything else. Their closer has been good in the post season(not that good this year in regular season) and their bullpen is weak relative to the Dodgers.

On paper, the matchup favors the Dodgers but the games aren’t played on paper. The way that the Phils got to Broxton last night was very telling regarding their never say die attitude. Even though it’s 3-1, who knows what will bloody well happen BUT the Phightin Phils, the reigning World Champs , scare me a bit more than the Dodgers do. Even though the lesser team might become the 27 Yankees in the World Series just the same, if said lesser team, the LA Dodgers of Hollywoodland actually win……

19. butchie22
      October 20th, 2009 | 1:58 pm

Raf wrote:

I don’t know that Damon would have gotten to that one either THOUGH he has more experience in that situation but Hairston has a slightly better arm.

October 20th, 2009 | 2:20 pm

Hairston got there after taking a weird route to the ball. He misjudged/misread it.

21. MJ
      October 20th, 2009 | 2:25 pm

Raf wrote:

True, although the ball was a rocket and even the more experienced Damon probably wouldn’t have caught it. The ball got to the wall in a hurry.

22. bluke
      October 20th, 2009 | 2:29 pm

This loss bothered me tremendously because Girardi overmanaged and cost them the game. He is simply using too many pitchers. The 7th inning should be Robertson, 8th Hughes, 9th Rivera. If he goes that route yesterday Yankees win the game 5-4. In addition, I cannot believe that he again lost the DH. Before this year I can’t remember the last time a team lost the DH and yet Girardi has done it a few times. Replacing Hairston for Damon made little sense. The odds of a fly ball hit to a spot where Damon could not throw out the runner and Hairston could are miniscule.

23. bluke
      October 20th, 2009 | 2:33 pm

I forgot to add I could not believe that he took out Robertson for Aceves. I was in my car driving home from work and when I heard that I started screaming at the radio. That move is simply indefensible. Robertson has been your 3rd best reliever all year and in the postseason and Aceves has been shaky lately. In addition, on the road you need to pitch at least 1 more inning.