• October 20th @ The Angels

Posted by on October 21st, 2009 · Comments (18)

Wow, feels like Game 3 of the 2004 ALCS all over again! Hey, just kidding – kinda/sorta.

You know, Melky, A-Rod and Damon all had their bats going in this game…but, obviously, the story of this one, in Yankeeland, was CC Sabathia.

To be honest, I thought, while watching the game, that Sabathia had some hard hit balls go for outs in the first two innings. And, then, in the 5th inning, the Angels really made him work. But, after that double-play grounder in the bottom of the 6th inning – which was key moment of this game, in my mind – CC was rolling. All told, it was an amazing effort from the big lefty on 3-days rest. And, with all due respect to A-Rod, Sabathia has been the Yankees MVP in this ALCS – to date.

Three wins down, one to go – and three chances to get it. It’s looking real good for New York, no?

Now, for some miscellaneous observations…

I should have mentioned this many moons ago, picking any time the Yankees played the Angels in SoCal lately…in any event…man, it’s soooo annoying to watch the center field camera shot in these games and see Scott Boras’ head, dead-center, in the picture, every time. Sit down Scott, huh?

Before anyone wants to fry Tim McClelland for calling Nick Swisher out, for leaving the third base too soon, in the top of the 4th inning, on Johnny Damon’s fly out, remember that Swisher was out on the pick-off play at second base, earlier in the inning, and Dale Scott blew the call. So, basically, McClelland was cleaning up Scott’s mistake when he called Swisher out. But, then McClelland screwed the pooch, as far as I can tell, on that play in the top of the 5th inning involving Posada and Cano at third base. In fact, overall, this may have been the worst umpired game in recent baseball post-season history. (By the way, if I recall correctly, Swisher, during the regular season, had that “leave too early” call tagged on him, incorrectly, as well. Must be something funky he’s doing to make the umps call that all the time…when it’s the wrong call.)

Speaking of Jorge Posada…he only gets to third on Cano’s double in the fifth, then he’s involved in that base-running situation with McClelland, and, later, in the bottom of the 6th inning he forgets how many outs there are and leaves home plate unprotected. Com’on Jorgie, get your head in the game, huh?

Anyone else notice Derek Jeter coughing up a lung during this whole game? The FOX guys never referred to it…

Lastly, does Fergie really want to meet me half-way right at the borderline or is she just being a tease?

Comments on October 20th @ The Angels

1. Evan3457
      October 21st, 2009 | 12:43 am

Plenty of material vulnerable to snark here. Don’t think I’m gonna go there tonight.

We can all use the night off from the bitchin’ and moanin’. This game was too good to ruin with that stuff.

Enjoy the off-day, Steve. Kick back with a brewski; smoke ‘em if you got ‘em.

The toughest game to win is up next.

2. straylightrise
      October 21st, 2009 | 12:45 am

Gardner is getting terrible reads. They have to stop wasting outs like that. I understand he got some great steals in the regular season but JESUS.

I loved how the FOX crew was praying for the Angels to do something. They have done atrociously besides yesterday. The MSM does nothing to criticize their multi-million dollar lineup. They have some great hitters and they have all been pretty much duds.

CC is a horse. Jesus. Best start by a Yankees player since welll probably Clemens against Seattle.

3. October 21st, 2009 | 12:57 am

@ straylightrise:
      Best start by a Yankees SP, on 3-days rest, in the post-season, since this game, IMHO:

4. October 21st, 2009 | 12:59 am

And that Pettitte start was almost 6 years to the day, FWIW,

5. Evan3457
      October 21st, 2009 | 1:06 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

@ straylightrise:

You are correct sir, that Pettitte start in the World Series is the best start on 3 days’ rest by a Yankee pitcher since this one. Game Score confirms.

However, there is a much better start, on two days’ rest by a Yankees starter in the post-season, and though you have go a long ways back into Yankee history to find it, I don’t think it’s ever going to be topped. It happens to be this one rye cheer:

6. straylightrise
      October 21st, 2009 | 1:21 am

@ Steve Lombardi:
      I was saying in general. I’m sure statistically its less valued because of the lesser amount of Ks and the run. But this guy has gotta be investigated. He’s a friggin terminator!

Admit it – who else was scared this guy was going to be another bad FA pickup? Might be one of their best SP signings since (again, Clemens).

I’m thinking the Yankees win on Thursday. However – it won’t be won until late (again). I’ve never been too scared about AJ – I never got on the fear bandwagon that everyone has occaisonally been on – why? Because I’m a Redskins fan as well and I see everything through Pinstriped Glasses.

So I say 5-4 Yankees. Tex gets a few hits and 1-2 RBIs. Jeter is a non-factor due to illness. 1 error by both teams. Gardener isn’t played and thus isn’t CS.

7. #15
      October 21st, 2009 | 6:10 am

Shopping list….

CC and A-Rod…. Co-MVP awards
      Jete’s… Robitussin and a day off
      Jorge… A large bottle of ginkgo biloba
      Gardner… A decent jump
      Tex…. A Gold Glove
      Matsui… One swing, just one swing, at any one of those fastballs down the middle, instead of a slider at his feet
      Girardi…. AJ’s best outing of the year
      Cano,… A few less foul balls on “hit-me” pitches
      Damon…. More AB’s against Palmer
      Swisher… A couple of hits to clear his head
      Umpires… Glasses

We are in really good shape. Angels, for the first time in a long time, are no longer convinced that they can and will always beat the Yankees.

8. October 21st, 2009 | 6:47 am

I didn’t get the Game 3 of the 2004 ALCS vibe at all from it. For one thing, the Angels only got one run, not eight.

No, I got the opposite vibe. Other Yankee teams in recent years had glass jaws – they wouldn’t have been able to come back from a terrible loss like Monday. This one did. That’s huge.

9. MJ
      October 21st, 2009 | 6:59 am

——
      Cracked me up!

The great:
      CC
      A-Rod

The good:
      Finally getting a few RBI with RISP
      Turning the DP’s when the opportunities presented themselves

The bad:
      Teixeira’s and Matsui’s AB’s
      Gardner’s reads

The ugly:
      For a Dynasty alum and the so-called unofficial captain, Posada being completely out of it not once, not twice but three times in a two-inning span. Outside of the other three Dynasty alums, I truly don’t see how anyone in the clubhouse can respect him. He’s a joke and has completely lost the right to be so abrasive and prickly with his teammates when he doesn’t like something. You can’t be a leader if you embarrass yourself like that. The only people that look dumber than Posada are the umps.

All that being said, what an incredibly gratifying result.

10. antone
      October 21st, 2009 | 7:10 am

Told you CC would be alright…guess I don’t have to defend him anymore (if I actually still came around here..don’t worry Steve I still read just haven’t had time to comment)….

…Posada was on drugs last night clearly…I don’t know what’s up with him

….the umps were pretty bad but thankfully it didn’t determine to outcome of the game

…if I see that Fergie commercial one more time i’m going to smash the TV, the same goes for black jack tacos

11. clintfsu813
      October 21st, 2009 | 8:47 am

Anybody else notice CC give a little tude when that idiot asked him about “earning the contract” by the teams clubhouse? That shit pisses me off to no end, and I could tell it bothered CC too.

12. MJ
      October 21st, 2009 | 8:53 am

clintfsu813 wrote:

Noticed that too. I’ll tell you what: if it pissed off CC and motivates him to shove it down everyone’s throat, I’m fine with that. More starts like that from CC this October and he’ll be lighting victory cigars with $100 bills. :-)

13. clintfsu813
      October 21st, 2009 | 8:59 am

And wiping his ass with them too!

October 21st, 2009 | 9:04 am

What really bothered me about the McClelland play was that he wasn’t even looking @ Swisher, so how could he know he left early?

Then again, he was looking @ Posada & Cano when both were tagged out and called Cano safe, so maybe it doesn’t make a difference if he was or wasn’t watching?

15. MJ
      October 21st, 2009 | 9:36 am

@ Raf:
      HAHAHAHA, that’s so true. He made one bad call without watching and made the other bad call while staring straight at it. In other words — and to quote the brilliant Cosmo Kramer — McClelland made umpiring look “capricious and arbitrary.”

16. butchie22
      October 21st, 2009 | 10:34 am

The Baseless Runner AKA Swisher gets picked off(no surprise there, you expect that) and that call was blown. The Two Yankees played musical chairs(Jorge Passedballsada and Robbie Cannot) at third base and the the umpire calls one safe! The officiating has been terrible this year. The Yanks looked like little leaguers out there and got a couple of gifts. Swisher getting called out for leaving early was redress for blowing the other call where he was called out! What an insane game this was from an ump perspective, just insane.

A Game 2004 vibe? I get the irony behind that one. CC was on that 2007 team that was up 3-1 on the Red Sox and remember what happened there? Seriously, unlike other people I didn’t write off the Yanks after one bloody loss. CC has been money this post season and if it comes to a Game 7, CC will be a horse once more.

Someone has to give Hawn’s spawn a ring if the Yanks win. This guy Aroid/Afraud/agoat has become Aruth. Just exactly what is she indulging him in? Some magical incantations, some prayers or some plain ole fashioned booty!!?? I don’t care but thanks for making Alexander the Great, so aggressive and responsive in the playoffs.

Someone ripped Passedballsada? Not a big fan of his, but he’s the defacto captain not St Jeter whether anyone likes it or not. He looked clueless going home and to third BUT the Baseless Runner has chumped him. what happened to how wonderful and brilliant the Swisher Unsweet was? Honestly, I found it highly amusing that they claimed he left early from third. He’s such an airhead, that it wouldn’t shock me if he beleived the call wholeheartedly!

All in all, Charlie Cheeseburger came through glowingly. I wasn’t perturbed that he was asked about the money(23 mill a year). He’s being paid an amazing amount of money for a pitcher, so he does have the pressure , so i really don’t give a bloody damn about that. I give him all the credit in the world for pitching like that on three days rest. He really gives the team an advantage in the playoffs and that will give them an edge in the World Series over any team they face, if the Yanks make it……which I think they will at this point.

@ antone, glad to see you around, mate. Fergie? Please put her on the junk pile! She’s tasty? Like a Black Jack Taco! Man are those tacos fugly.

17. Corey
      October 21st, 2009 | 6:30 pm

straylightrise wrote:

I had mentioned this during the game thread, but I think it’s worth it to mention it again. The Yankees coaching staff during the season reprimanded Gardner for not running when they signal it. Gardner, in the past, would only go when he felt it was right. Because of that he missed a few calls, and the staff corrected him. Perhaps now that’s gotten into his head.

18. October 23rd, 2009 | 12:04 am

[...] days ago, I mentioned that Game Four of this ALCS “feels like Game Three of the 2004 ALCS all over again.” Well, [...]