• WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 10/21/09

Posted by on October 21st, 2009 · Comments (28)

Click here for more information about this entry.

Comments on WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 10/21/09

1. October 21st, 2009 | 10:31 am

BTW, for over 13 months, on and off during that time, at the request of the guys at SNY.tv, I’ve tried to get some form a game thread going here – with no luck of it catching fire. And, boom, in one night, MJ make it happen – at least for one day – in a big way.

Just wanted to publically thank MJ for all his efforts on that thread last night. By the comment count, many enjoyed it, for sure. Good job amigo. And, I meant what I wrote in it last night, I think you’re going to have to do it for every remaining game in this post-season, now, for luck!

2. clintfsu813
      October 21st, 2009 | 10:40 am

@ Steve Lombardi:
      I agree. I only did for a little bit, but it was alot of fun. I know sites like Lohud do the same, but this was cool in that it was our small group commenting, not hundreds of different people.

3. YankCrank
      October 21st, 2009 | 10:47 am

@ Steve Lombardi:

I enjoyed the open thread. I sometimes participate on the RAB one but there are so many different people I get lost in what everyone’s saying. With out smaller group of commenters, it was enjoyable. Thanks Steve and MJ!

Also, a side not, you guys read the reports on Steve Phillips this morning? I’m ashamed to say that i’ve known about what he was doing with this girl for about a year, and that I actually met this girl. What a sad story.

4. MJ
      October 21st, 2009 | 10:52 am

@ Steve Lombardi:
      Steve, I had no idea. I really appreciate the kind words but I just did it because I’d have gone crazy just bouncing off the walls by myself at home last night.

Just to be honest though, there were only a handful (YankCrank, Corey, ClintFSU, and a newbie named 77Yanks) that were in on the thread. I had diarrhea of the keyboard which, I suppose, made the response meter look more impressive than it was.

I will be happy to do it again tomorrow night, if only to keep the lucky streak alive!

5. MJ
      October 21st, 2009 | 10:56 am

@ YankCrank:
      That’s the second time Steve has been publicly caught in an affair. Now, what happens in his private life is none of my business so I suppose I won’t comment further or judge the man…

Having said that, it’s the second workplace affair (the first being with the Mets in the late 90′s) so it does seem to be a pattern of behavior for him. That should make any future employer wary.

Finally, it might be mean to say but, really, HER? I don’t know what Mrs. Phillips looks like but if you’re going to risk your career and your family, shouldn’t it be for something a little better than THAT? No offense to this girl or anything but, seriously, how did you manage to convince Steve that you were the girl to throw his life away for?

6. MJ
      October 21st, 2009 | 10:58 am

MJ wrote:

That’s the second time Steve has been publicly caught in an affair.

Whoops, I should clarify that I was referring to Steve Phillips, not our bloghost Steve.

October 21st, 2009 | 11:34 am

MJ wrote:

It works from a psychology standpoint if you think about it. No one would suspect it, and she should be “grateful” that he’s throwing it her way, after all, look at her, right? ;)

8. YankCrank
      October 21st, 2009 | 11:58 am

MJ wrote:

Finally, it might be mean to say but, really, HER?

My thoughts exactly, and I asked the same question when I met her and put a face to the actions. Just not a good call Steve Phillips. Huge risk, huge loss.

9. MJ
      October 21st, 2009 | 12:01 pm

@ Raf:
      HAHAHAHA, true.

Well, so much for Steve Phillips’s career. The ex-GM of the Mets, the ex-GM of ESPN’s baseball coverage and the ex-husband of Marni Phillips.

10. MJ
      October 21st, 2009 | 12:04 pm

YankCrank wrote:

Oh wow, I totally forgot about that. Yeesh, how surreal to actually personally know the people in this story.

Not that I condone infidelity or prostitution but this seems like one of those cases where if he was so unhappy in his marriage, paying for *it* might’ve been the better aesthetic (and more discreet) choice.

October 21st, 2009 | 12:26 pm

MJ wrote:

Or at the very least, hook up with a girl that he doesn’t work with or around… “Don’t shit where you eat” as they always say.

October 21st, 2009 | 1:04 pm

Interesting article in Fangraphs regarding the umpires and a solution

Whaddya think? Seems so obvious, kinda wonder why it hasn’t been implemented already.

13. MJ
      October 21st, 2009 | 1:16 pm

@ Raf:
      I agree with the spirit of the idea but not the implementation. Their proposal makes that 7th ump the most important ump of all in that he seems to be able to just say “I’m watching TV, I know what I saw, and I’m going to overrule the field calls.”

First, we’d need to limit what is a reviewable call. Second, we’d need a measure of transparency that the TV ump wasn’t watching the game with McCarver/Buck’s analysis influencing an outcom. Third, the TV ump shouldn’t be the final judge but merely a tie-breaker. Take a dipshit like Marty Foster or Laz Diaz and put him in a TV booth and you’re giving him twice as much power to make the wrong call as when he’s just on the field. Simply presuming that access to more information will lead to the correct result doesn’t make sense, given how most of these guys are trained to sell their call with conviction. In other words, these guys don’t know how to admit that they’re wrong sometimes and don’t necessarily allow for logic to enter their thought process.

14. October 21st, 2009 | 1:48 pm

Most of you might know… yesterday was the anniversary of Damon’s grandSlam in game 7 od 04 ALCS.. fitting he homered for us..

still getting over that one…

15. MJ
      October 21st, 2009 | 1:51 pm

@ srivinodh:
      I like the symmetry of being able to get back to the WS five years after our most recent ALCS visit.

I just hope the Yanks seal the deal with one more win over the Angels and then take back what was rightfully ours in 2003.

October 21st, 2009 | 2:27 pm

@ MJ:
      I would think plays where normally there would be an umpire conference would be the ones under review. There have been calls overturned that way, I don’t see this as any different. As for transparency, that’s nothing a raw feed couldn’t cure.

17. MJ
      October 21st, 2009 | 2:44 pm

@ Raf:
      Typically, umps conference on HR calls and fair/foul calls. We already have replay for those situations. Hence, would last night’s situation with Posada and Cano both at 3rd base have been mitigated by replay? Further, replay wouldn’t have corrected Swisher being called out at 2nd on the pickoff nor would it have corrected him scoring on the sac fly from 3rd. So what are we really talking about here anyway?

18. October 21st, 2009 | 3:09 pm

Just wanted to share…

in terms of traffic, for October 2009, the numbers here are already equal to what we did here for the full month of September 2009. Way to go, all! And, there’s still 10 days left to this month.

Granted, September was the slowest month here since Opening Day – where the numbers were just 84% of what they were were in June, July and August. (And, just 63% of what they were in April and May. But, I account April and May being high due to the Yankees playing somewhat poorly and the trolls coming by those months to see my guts twisting in the wind over the Yankees not going well.)

So, let’s see what we can do over the next 10 days. Maybe we can make up that 16% gap between where we are now and that summer baseline over the next week and a half.

October 21st, 2009 | 3:36 pm

MJ wrote:

@ Raf:

Off the top of my head, I would think calls like that would be under review. Or the extra umpire would be watching the game, and an obvious blown call would be reviewed. Using the example in the article, with Swisher tagging up, there is ample time to get the call right. Same thing with the 2 runners on 3rd, while Scioscia’s arguing (or whenever a manager comes out to argue) the extra umpire is reviewing the call while the manager is pleading his case.

It can be done, we just have to figure out the how

20. MJ
      October 21st, 2009 | 3:49 pm

@ Raf:
      Oh, I’m not saying there’s no time to do it. I just don’t think any of yesterday’s calls were of the “reviewable” type insofar as umpires wouldn’t huddle up for a pickoff call or for a tagging up call.

And if we get into the territory of a TV ump overruling a call on the field simply because he saw it and thinks it was wrong, then we get into dangerous territory about how much power this one ump has over the game.

If we can all agree on WHAT is reviewable, then we can have a TV umpire. But if we just have someone overruling action on the field, I don’t like that idea at all.

21. MJ
      October 21st, 2009 | 4:56 pm

Just a few minutes before 5pm so it’s just about quittin’ time for most of us. I’ll end the day by saying this:

GO DODGERS!

I really want the Phils to have to make one more cross-country flight. I don’t care what happens thereafter, but there’s no way I want the Phils to have a head start on their WS preparations without sweating it out a bit…

22. Corey
      October 21st, 2009 | 6:55 pm

Why do they have a day off? They aren’t traveling?

23. Corey
      October 21st, 2009 | 6:58 pm

For those in the game thread that saw me mention A-Rod grabbing Jeter’s ass in an odd way, here’s the clip:

24. MJ
      October 21st, 2009 | 9:47 pm

@ Corey:
      I was wondering what you were talking about. Now I saw… How weird…

25. 77yankees
      October 21st, 2009 | 10:00 pm

Corey wrote:

I saw that live, and knew someone would jump on it somehow.

But hey, it’s nothing like Papelbon & Manny Ramirez at the All-Star Game a couple years back. I guess he was showing Manny the grip on his change-up.

26. Corey
      October 22nd, 2009 | 8:19 am

77yankees wrote:

lol, I had never seen this photo before.

27. MJ
      October 22nd, 2009 | 8:40 am

77yankees wrote:

HAHAHAHA, that’s a hysterical picture. Disturbed guy, that Papelbon.

28. 77yankees
      October 22nd, 2009 | 8:00 pm

@ MJ:

Pu it this way, at least Papelbon has a job waiting for him at BSPN when he retires.