• October 22nd @ The Angels

Posted by on October 22nd, 2009 · Comments (18)

But there is no joy in Yankeeland — mighty Swishalicious has popped up.

Two days ago, I mentioned that Game Four of this ALCS “feels like Game Three of the 2004 ALCS all over again.” Well, for sure, this game, Game Five of the 2009 ALCS, sure feels like Game Four of the 2004 ALCS all over again.

Wow. In the end, it was Joe Girardi who had a Grady Little moment in this game – leaving his starting pitcher in too long. Perhaps Girardi just saw the mistake that Mike Scioscia made in this game, taking his starting pitcher out too soon and that was the seed planted in his head which led to this call? Then again, maybe, just maybe, Phil Hughes could have pitched more like “regular season Phil Hughes” and less like “post-season Joba Chamberlain” and helped out, a tad, and taken General Joe somewhat off the hook with that call on A.J. Burnett?

So, what do we have here? Looks like the Angels have made Mike Scioscia into an honest man – and there will be a Game Six of this ACLS to be played in New York.

Between the mess that could come with the weather forecast for that day and the fact that Andy Pettitte, who will be starting for the Yankees in Game Six, has an ERA of 4.59 at the new Yankee Stadium this season – compared to an ERA of 3.71 on the road – this could be a very dangerous situation for the Bronx Bombers.

Should New York lose Game Six, it leads up to a winner-take-all Game Seven. Now, granted…sure…if it comes down to a Game Seven the Yankees will have their ace, CC Sabathia, on the mound in that contest. But, this would be the third time that Sabathia has faced the Angels over the course of seven games. And, you would have to think that’s somewhat helpful to Los Angeles in terms of figuring out a plan of attack that may be more successful than the two previous times they squared off against CC…

Plus, hey, in a Game Seven situation, anything can happen. If the Halos don’t need Jered Weaver in Game Six, then maybe he stars for them in Game Seven against Sabathia?

Man, again, this one really stings. It’s not as bad as Game Five of the 1995 ALDS or Game Seven of the 2001 World Series. It’s more like Game Four of the 1997 ALDS…or…like Game Four of the 2004 ALCS…but…wait…I already said that, right?

I’m going to need some serious soporifics now – thanks a lot Yanks.

Comments on October 22nd @ The Angels

1. Corey
      October 23rd, 2009 | 12:10 am

WHAT THE HELL?!?!?! WHY IS AJ BURNETT COMING BACK OUT FOR THE 7TH?!!?!?!?!?!?

2. ken
      October 23rd, 2009 | 12:18 am

Everyone calm down. Yanks are in control of this series. Angels did what they had to do in their house. Now it’s our turn. Whether 6 or 7, I’m confident.

3. October 23rd, 2009 | 12:20 am

@ Corey:
      I’m guessing because he only threw 80 pitches thru the 1st six innings and had just finished 5 shutout innings in a row. And, I can understand that. But, nonetheless, in the end, it turned out bad. Maybe you could say that A.J. can pitch when he’s down 4-0, but, once the game was tied, he felt the pressure and choked?

4. October 23rd, 2009 | 12:24 am

@ ken:
      Don’t forget, in the Yankees house, in Game 2 of the ALCS, it was Angels mistakes that led to the Yankees win – and not the Yankees beating down on L.A.

It very well could be 3-2 Angels in this series right now…

Outside of the games started by CC, the Yankees have not shown that they are superior to the Angels…and, therefore, anything can happen in Game 6.

And, if you get to a Game 7, for sure, anything can happen.

5. ken
      October 23rd, 2009 | 12:25 am

OK to have brought AJ back in the 7th but should have pulled him after first batter got on base. Don’t forget, our so-called lock-down 7th and 8th inning guys have been shakey in the post season. Joe Gym was hoping to squeeze a couple more outs from AJ. I can’t complain.

6. ken
      October 23rd, 2009 | 12:28 am

@ Steve Lombardi:
      Steve, all I can say is that I have a good feeling about this team and they look like a better team than the Angels. Call me crazy.

And I’m not easily optimistic. After game 5 in ’04 I knew it was over. No question then, mainly because of pitching matchups. This year has a very different feel.

7. October 23rd, 2009 | 12:31 am

@ ken:
      I know, Pettitte and CC are not Lieber and Vazquez. And, that helps. But, man, if it rains on Saturday, that could be the X-factor. I just have a bad feeling that it’s going to mess with this, somehow…

8. Evan3457
      October 23rd, 2009 | 12:32 am

I don’t know who to blame for what, really.

Questionable moves to leave AJ in to start the 7th, and to go to Joba in the 8th, but the 2nd one didn’t really cost anything. And good moves to go to Marte, and to Mo. And to PH early with Posada, thought that didn’t work at the time.

Swisher sure had a terrible game, and is having a terrible series. I had thought they might bench him a game vs. Lackey, to get Gardner in there, but I guess with Molina in for Posada, they didn’t want to give the Angels that much play with the bottom of the order. Now, if they start Bret in Game 6, it’ll be vs. the lefty, Saunders.

9. ken
      October 23rd, 2009 | 12:38 am

A question to the nervous Nellies: before this series, did anyone really think that it would be less than 6 games? Sure, today we blew a late inning lead, but give the Angels some credit, too. I suspect there is alot of confidence in the Yank’s clubhouse.

10. JeremyM
      October 23rd, 2009 | 8:12 am

I would’ve signed up for being up 3-2, but man, I wish they could’ve finished it last night. Personally, I never would’ve brought AJ back out, and it’s too bad that he didn’t reward the manager’s faith in him. I also would move Robertson past Joba and probably Hughes on the depth chart at this point.

11. Corey
      October 23rd, 2009 | 8:25 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

I don’t have to tell you, you’ve seen the majority of the games where Burnett has pitched. Why in the hell would you send a guy out who’s just as likely to walk the bases loaded as he is to get a 1-2-3 inning? YOU HAVE THE GAME IN THE BAG!!!!! If you send Hughes out for the beginning of the inning, I doubt he gives up the hits. He was extremely nervous, having grown up not far from angels stadium where he undoubtedly had hometown fans in the park, with the tieing run on third. It took him like 30 seconds of kneeling in front of the mound just to set himself in the beginning. This game really, really, really pissed me off. I saw this coming a mile away and was screaming at the TV, why didn’t Girardi?

12. Corey
      October 23rd, 2009 | 8:26 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

I don’t think that’s it, really. I think Burnett just has no idea where the ball is going half the time, and sometimes it works for him and sometimes it works against him.

13. YankCrank
      October 23rd, 2009 | 9:22 am

So much happened in this game that was disappointing, and there are so many managerial moves or players you can pick at, but the story of this game is that the Yankees had the chance to wrap it up by using their supposed great strength over the Angels (bullpen) and we couldn’t get it done. That makes five consecutive games where the Yankees were one win from moving on to the World Series that wound up being losses. Hard to stomach, I know I couldn’t sleep last night.

I agreed with Girardi’s move to stick with AJ, after 5 shutout innings and only 80 pitches, but it didn’t work. Then you go to Hughes, who is supposed to shut the door, and he was garbage. Then Joba was garbage. So, needless to say, we can have as many 6 run innings as we want but if Joba and Hughes keep stinking up the joint we’re not going anywhere.

@ Steve Lombardi:
      Before you start giving the Angels credit for throwing away game 2 in YS and that not being a real Yankee win, don’t forget that the Yankees had games 3 and 5 in the bag in Anaheim before our bullpen blew it. If game 2 is a wash at YS, so are games 3 and 5. So maybe that’s not the best way to look at the games so far.

What’s happened in these games, much like the regular season, is each team is very hard to beat at their home parks. We came away with wins at home because we’re tough at home, same goes for the Angels, and with the next two games at our park we should be in good shape. I know you’re a doom and gloom guy, so fire away at finding every negative aspect of getting two shots to finish this series at home, one with CC on the mound, but the series is still in our favor.

14. Corey
      October 23rd, 2009 | 9:28 am

YankCrank wrote:

With 9 outs left till the world series, why would you risk it with a guy who can walk the park and then bounce a few in the dirt to bring ‘em home? You split the 9 outs amongst Hughes and Mo,and away we go.

15. butchie22
      October 23rd, 2009 | 9:33 am

YankCrank wrote:

@ Steve Lombardi:

Crank, I agree with Steve on the Game 2 fiasco for teh angels. That was basically a game that was handed to the angels to win and the angels dropped the ball. Crankl, I don’t know about the Yanks having this game(the fifth). They managed to score ALL their runs in one inning. And with AJ “The Pie Thrower” coming back out I wasn’t that confident that they would win. As for Game 3, that favored the Angels with how tight the game was.

Whatta about Swisher Unsweet the Baseless Runner. God, when Arod was the Yankee goat he wasn’t this glaringly bad. So many here hyped up Swisher as some kind of star, he’s no star in the playoffs that’s for sure. In my opinion, he is the co-goat of this game with Burnout and Hughes.

16. YankCrank
      October 23rd, 2009 | 9:39 am

Corey wrote:

Because you look at a guy who had utterly dominated the other team’s lineup for the last 15 outs and see if you could squeeze one more inning out of him.

It looks like the wrong choice after the game, but can you fault Girardi for not wanting to go to Phil early…the same Phil who has been garbage out of the pen for the playoffs? There was a risk either way, as we saw later that inning when Phil couldn’t even get an out before surrendering three runs (1 earned).

17. ken
      October 23rd, 2009 | 9:40 am

To all those who now say that bringing out AJ in the 7th was a mistake: what about this bullpen (other than Mo) makes you so certain that there would have been a better outcome?

As much as it pains me to say this, so far in the post season, Marte has looked better than Hughes and Joba. And why is Coke in witness protection? I think because he had a tendency to give up the long ball in the reg season, despite overall good numbers.

18. YankCrank
      October 23rd, 2009 | 9:50 am

butchie22 wrote:

Swisher has been nothing short of garbage with the bat this postseason.

What made Swish valuable in the season was, when he went through his streakiness and was at his poor moment in time, he’d still walk and get on base. That isn’t happening this postseason.

We could really use some contribution with the bat, Nick. Any time now.