• WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 10/22/09 – ALCS Game Five Edition

Posted by on October 22nd, 2009 · Comments (22)

Click here for more information about this entry.

Comments on WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 10/22/09 – ALCS Game Five Edition

1. MJ
      October 22nd, 2009 | 8:45 am

Well the Dodgers didn’t put up much of a fight, did they? Padilla reverted to the piece of crap he’s more or less always been.

Man, the Phillies look GOOOOOOD right now.

Here’s hoping the Yanks bring some of that Game 4 mojo with them to Game 5 and wrap this up the old-fashioned way: chase Lackey in the 5th or 6th, score some runs off the Angels bullpen and hope AJ goes 6+ with < 3 ER.

2. October 22nd, 2009 | 9:52 am

The Phillies, truly, scare the crap out of me, right now…

3. YankCrank
      October 22nd, 2009 | 10:05 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

The Phillies, truly, scare the crap out of me, right now…

The Phillies have spent their postseason beating up on a team that can’t pitch and can’t hit lefties (Rockies) and a team that simple has atrocious pitching all across their postseason rotation (Dodgers). Yes they look good, because they are good and because their competition has been far inferior to them.

The Phillies don’t scare me, neither does anybody in their entire pitching staff and bullpen not named Cliff Lee. I see them as nothing more than what the Red Sox have thrown at us this year (mix of speed with power but with far less pitching). In that way, I see them as a team with a ton of talent, as many offensive weapons as us and a worthy opponent. But that certainly doesn’t scare me.

4. #15
      October 22nd, 2009 | 10:19 am

Phillies, Yanks and Angels are the elite class of baseball. There are no great teams this year, Yankees are probably closest, but these three are very good. Second tier (a pretty big step down) included Dodgers & Botox, third group was Twins, Rockies, and Tampa, plus maybe Detroit and the Giants.

While I’d have like to gotten the Dodgers in the WS for a variety of reason (primarily because we’d have smoked ‘em), it’s a good thing that that whoever wins this thing will have to beat the other two elite teams. That said, if the Yankees play their game, the can win. Ledge is only one long ball from jumping off a building and the rest of the pitching staff behind Lee is questionable. Hamels peaked last year. If AJ has two stud performances left in him, one tonight and one in the WS, ring up number 27.

5. G.I. Joey
      October 22nd, 2009 | 10:21 am

@ YankCrank:

Couldn’t agree with you more. Their pitching staff is inferior with Lee being their only beacon of light.

6. MJ
      October 22nd, 2009 | 10:30 am

@ YankCrank:
      I guess when you put it that way, you have a point.

7. clintfsu813
      October 22nd, 2009 | 11:09 am

The Phillies just got done hammering guys named Kuroda, Wolf, and Padilla. Let em try that shit up against Sabathia, Burnett, and Pettite.

8. Corey
      October 22nd, 2009 | 11:42 am

@ MJ:
      Lol, When I said this a week ago you guys were all like nah this is a different team and that I had nothing to worry about.

9. October 22nd, 2009 | 11:44 am

Didn’t the Phillies almost sweep the Yankees when they played them this year?

10. YankCrank
      October 22nd, 2009 | 11:47 am

@ MJ@ Steve Lombardi:

All i’m saying is they will be a very tough, equal opponent…but not unlike one we haven’t seen all year.

They have less speed than the Rays and as much power as the Red Sox. Their pitching is headlined by a proven, dominant arm in Lee and is followed by a tired and worn out Hamels, Pedro Martinez (no explanation needed) and a guy named Joe Blanton who we’ve seen and beat up before. Their bullpen, most notably their closer, can be gotten to as well, so basically…a worthy opponent, but let’s not act like we’d be up against the ’98 Yankees here. Nothing to be scared of.

With our talent and pitching, the Phillies are certainly beatable. On that note, let’s take care of the ANgels first :)

11. YankCrank
      October 22nd, 2009 | 11:52 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Didn’t the Phillies almost sweep the Yankees when they played them this year?

Didn’t the Nationals almost sweep the Yankees when they played them this year?

Didn’t the Red Sox go 8-0 against the Yankees at some point?

You can throw all those regular season matchup points out the window. The Yankees have nothing to “be afraid of” with the Phillies. Good team, an equal opponent, but nothing to fear. If we get there, the better team will win.

12. G.I. Joey
      October 22nd, 2009 | 11:54 am

@ Steve Lombardi:

That series was in May before the team completely gelled and it was by no means a dominating performance by the Phils. The Yankees lost that series b/c they came up short during a heartbreaker in extra innings.

13. October 22nd, 2009 | 12:55 pm

I thought the Phils won 2-1.. dont remember actually…

I really would like a nice series… baseball needs it… the last few have been horsecrap.

My worry is on the offensive side.. they have some good hitters… Howard and our RF is a match… Matt Stairs may pop up once a while… Werth and Victorino are solid.. and Utley can wake up.. their lineup is deep… gottob careful..

I hope the good AJ shows up..

14. October 22nd, 2009 | 1:14 pm

“”I’m surprised. But again, you have to play better,” Torre said. “We have the capability, we have the talent, but that’s all well and good. It’s like having that good team on paper, you still have to go out there and play between the lines.”

Yeah its never the coaching or preparedness or strategy… he has some time off for those commercials and Conan appearances now…

15. G.I. Joey
      October 22nd, 2009 | 1:29 pm

Does anyone find it pathetic how other teams need to manufacture an intimidating atmosphere at home by using thunderstix, towels, etc.?

16. ken
      October 22nd, 2009 | 2:11 pm

Umm. Excuse me. I didn’t realize that the Yankees have won the ACLS. Did I miss something?

Haven’t you guys learned anything about taking wins for granted?

17. October 22nd, 2009 | 2:37 pm

Anyone else notice that Lackey’s ERA over his last 5 post-season games is 2.76? Bad news for the Yanks tonight?

18. YankCrank
      October 22nd, 2009 | 2:53 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Seeing John Lackey is always a bit of bad news. Needless to say, it’s not like he’s an automatic win when on the mound. All we need to do is look back at Game 1.

19. clintfsu813
      October 22nd, 2009 | 3:27 pm

G.I. Joey wrote:

I completely agree. Dont EVEN get me started on those f-ing cow bells at the Trippity Trop. A “Lets Go Yankees” and a “Der-ek Jet-er” chant is all we’ve ever needed to be intimidating. Its great to be a Yankee fan.

20. MJ
      October 22nd, 2009 | 3:27 pm

YankCrank wrote:

The bad defensive luck he experienced notwithstanding, I can’t say I was overly impressed with Lackey’s stuff in Game 1. He threw a straight four-seamer that sat around 89mph and a pretty good 77mph curveball with tight movement. His “other” curveball which was more like a slider was all over the place and clocked in at 79mph.

Good breaking pitches that are well-located can mitigate a below-average fastball or can render their ineffectiveness entirely moot. But the Yanks should know that there will certainly be some fastball counts tonight and they shouldn’t miss their opportunities because Lackey’s fastball looked bad in Game 1. Granted, the conditions last Friday were cold and somewhat damp so that won’t be a factor tonight.

I think a big key tonight will be to note how the fastball looks coming out of Lackey’s hand. If it’s the same straight one at 89mph as it was in Game 1, I really hope Yankee hitters get aggressive and tee off on it.

21. clintfsu813
      October 22nd, 2009 | 3:27 pm

Fo shizzle.

22. ken
      October 22nd, 2009 | 6:31 pm

Lackey can be beat. He’s good but not the top upper elite level. Yanks lineup is patient and professional. I’m not scared of him.