• Wild Thought: Yanks Fans Afraid Of The Weather?

Posted by on October 23rd, 2009 · Comments (8)

My buddy – who I will call “Phil” as that’s his real name – had tickets to Game Two of the 2009 ALCS. They were good seats – in the Main Level, not far from first base, and under cover. But, Phil also had a family wedding that night (of the game).

Now, Phil is as big a Yankees fan as can be found. And, he really wanted to see the ALCS game – but, there was no way he could skip the wedding. So, he decided to play the weather game – hoping that there would be a rain-out last Saturday, the day of Game Two, where they would call the game and then play “Game Two” on Sunday (the next day). This way, he could go to the wedding and then go to the game the following day.

But, they didn’t call the game last Saturday. And, on the following Monday, I asked Phil if he ended up selling his tickets at the last minute.

Much to my surprise, he said that he ended up eating the tickets. According to Phil, he offered the tickets to several people on Saturday morning, once he realized that the game was not going to be called in advance, and could find no takers. In fact, he said that he couldn’t even give them away – despite telling all that the seats were under cover and safe from the rain, etc., should it happen.

Related, just last night, someone who I work with told me that their friend went to the game last Saturday. She told that her friend went on to StubHub the morning of the game and found tons of seats available for sale – at discount prices – probably because people didn’t want to deal with the cold and rain, etc.

So, this all leads to today’s wild thought: Have Yankees fans become “fair weather” fans? If not, how can you explain people having to dump tickets at discount prices for an ALCS game – or not even being able to give great tickets to an ALCS game for free?

Comments on Wild Thought: Yanks Fans Afraid Of The Weather?

1. G.I. Joey
      October 23rd, 2009 | 2:48 pm

There were indeed a great deal of tickets available to Game 2 of the ALCS at discount prices and I believe that is a direct result of people not wanting to endure the weather. I had an extra pair of tickets myself and had a difficult time getting rid of them at a discount. One of my friends who I offered tickets to openly admitted to me that he would rather watch the game at home then sit out in the cold with possible chance of rain. I asked him when was the last time he was offered ALCS tickets, let alone at a discount. Due to my frustration and a bit of disbelief, I told him he should refrain from describing himself as a diehard Yankee fan if a little bad weather would keep him from the second ALCS game in Yankee Stadium since 2004.

2. MJ
      October 23rd, 2009 | 3:21 pm

I don’t think that makes people “fair weather” fans, it just makes them human. Most people don’t like getting soaked or losing feeling in their fingers and toes.

To be honest, if I didn’t know that our seats were covered for tomorrow’s game, I don’t know how psyched I’d be to attend a game in the slop, especially given the fact that I’m terrified that one of Andy’s *other* vintage performances are due to show up…

3. ken
      October 23rd, 2009 | 3:48 pm

Part of it is that baseball is just not a bad weather game even though it is frequently played that way in the post season. I have Jets tickets. I will sit there in any weather. But I’ll think about doing it for a baseball game.

4. MJ
      October 23rd, 2009 | 3:56 pm

ken wrote:

Good point. For as much as I love the Giants, I gave up going to games years ago. I can watch the games at home on my nice TV where I can not only see all the action on the field and enjoy instant replay, etc., I can also stay warm and dry.

To each his own, but for me, the NFL charges too much for what is the least entertaining in-stadium spectator sport.

5. October 23rd, 2009 | 5:22 pm

Define discount prices. Because I looked on StubHub both last Friday and Saturday, and was unable to find grandstand seats for below face value, or even at face value. What was infuriating was that there was a glut of tickets, especially on Friday, but they were priced too high.

But if you know of anybody who can’t rid of a ticket for Saturday, I’m all ears. Tix are currently selling at least double face value for that game on StubHub!

6. Corey
      October 23rd, 2009 | 6:24 pm

If he had asked me, I would have taken them. So that debunks your theory.

7. 77yankees
      October 23rd, 2009 | 9:15 pm

Weather really factors into it – general rule of thumb for any Yankee home game not in June, July or August – is that take the temperature reading on the Weather Channel or whatever, and subtract 10, and that’s what it’ll feel like at the Stadium.

I went to game in 1999 against Oakland in the evening the day after Memorial Day with some friends. It was a beautiful day – low 70s – but at night the temp dropped into the low 50s. I brought a heavy lined jacket, having learned from experience, but some of my friends weren’t so prepared and most left after the 6th inning.

8. redbug
      October 24th, 2009 | 10:15 am

======================================================

It wasn’t “a little bad weather”. It was in the 40′s and it was supposed to rain heavily. I’ve been a Yankees fan for over 40 yr’s but even I wouldn’t want to be sitting in conditions like that.