• October 25th Vs. The Angels

Posted by on October 26th, 2009 · Comments (13)

Many times this season I acknowledged that this current Yankees squad, in some ways, had cast a huge shadow (over the rest of their league). But, I also questioned their ability to stand up to the light…wondering if this unit was great enough to survive the difficult gauntlet that a team must traverse to be called a champion.

The time has come to rest those doubts. The 2009 New York Yankees are the champions of the American League.

Additional commentary on this game will follow once I’ve had a chance to enjoy the coverage of the post-game celebration going down in the Bronx right now. In the interim, please feel free to leave your thoughts, etc., on this one and the Yankees victory in the comments section.

Update, 10/26/09, 12:55 am ET: As promised, my thoughts on this one…

In the end, this game boils down to four half-innings: The bottom of the 4th inning, the top of the 6th inning, and both halves of the 8th inning. Johnny Damon’s single in the 4th, Andy Pettitte retiring Kendry Morales in the 6th, Robbie Cano’s play on Torii Hunter’s batted ball in the 8th, and those errors by Howie Kendrick and Scott Kazmir in the 8th were all huge plays in this game.

On the whole, you cannot say enough about the job from Andy Pettitte in this one – as well as the defensive play from Robinson Cano. In fact, in terms of collective play and the impact on the game, this might have been Cano’s greatest defensive game ever. Back to Pettitte, it was awesome to see the hand he got from the Yankee Stadium crowd when he left the game.

Now, for some miscellaneous observations…

General Joe has the guts of a burglar bringing in Joba Chamberlain when he did…considering the score, etc. For sure, I thought Joba was going to allow the Angels to make some noise there. Glad I was wrong.

Chamberlain in the 7th inning – and Mo Rivera for the six out save. Hmmmm, has Phil Hughes fallen out of favor?

All things said, the Angels helped the Yankees out in this game. As Mike Scioscia said after the game, the Yankees out-played the Angels, but, L.A. shot themselves in the foot in two of these games. There was only one game in this ALCS where the Yankees pounded the ball. And, in the post-season, overall, in 6 out of 9 games, the Yankees have not scored like they did during the regular season. We’re going to want to see more offense from New York in the World Series.

On the positive side, as Joe Buck said in the post-game, the Yankees have now faced the Twins and Angels in this post-season, two teams known for being fundamentally sound, and the Yankees didn’t make any mistakes and took advantage of the opponent’s mistakes – and often. Credit Joe Girardi and his staff for that. I noticed Tony Pena, in the clubhouse celebration, getting a good soaking from the players. Perhaps the men on the field really appreciate the job from the coaching staff this year? Well, they should…

Bring on the Phillies! It’s wonderful that CC Sabathia gets to start the first game – and maybe throw three times in the series. With that in place, you have to like the Yankees chances in this one.

This will be the first season where the Yankees have reached the World Series since Drew Henson played for New York. How about that?

Comments on October 25th Vs. The Angels

1. straylightrise
      October 26th, 2009 | 12:04 am

HELL YEA !

2. JeremyM
      October 26th, 2009 | 12:06 am

Feel better, MJ? Whew! Man, this is great!

3. 77yankees
      October 26th, 2009 | 12:06 am

Take 48 hours to celebrate and remember we root for the greatest team in American sports!!!!

4. Pat F
      October 26th, 2009 | 12:35 am

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! what a great series. tremendous job by this team finding a way to get wins. now we need to go get four more of them. such a fun and easy team to root for. go yankees!!!!!!

5. Evan3457
      October 26th, 2009 | 1:53 am

IT DOESN’T MATTER!!! YANKS WERE 1-2 VS. THE PHILLIES THIS YEAR!

WE’RE DOOMED, I TELLS YAH!

DOOOOOOOOOMMMMMEEEEDDDDDDddddd…. {klunk!}

6. Evan3457
      October 26th, 2009 | 1:54 am

Pssst….Steve…Nick Swisher had a nice game, too…middle of both rallies, and two nice defensive plays.

7. clintfsu813
      October 26th, 2009 | 8:16 am

Congrats to this team. They are a great bunch of guys. Man, I havent slept that good since October 2003. I was definitely glad this one wasnt TOO close at the end. If it had been 3-2 in the 9th I may have peed a little. Cant wait for Wednesday to start. Bring on the discussion. P.S. When I get off work today, I’m purchasing a #46 jersey. I freaking love that guy!

8. YankCrank
      October 26th, 2009 | 10:10 am

So, so happy :)

9. MJ
      October 26th, 2009 | 10:32 am

YankCrank wrote:

So, so happy

Yes. Just yes.

10. G.I. Joey
      October 26th, 2009 | 11:46 am

Evan3457 wrote:

My buddy who I share tickets with was complaining about Swish before the game and I pointed out to him that he had been making strong throws from the outfield in the postseason and that it was only a matter of time before he made a contribution with his bat. By the end of the game he was touting my prediction abilities.

11. October 26th, 2009 | 12:21 pm

@ G.I. Joey:Swishers best play of the night was the throw that he didn’t make – trying to get the runner at home – and keeping the batter to first base by holding the ball. That was a very smart play from a usually dumb player. I was impressed.

12. Evan3457
      October 26th, 2009 | 12:54 pm

…and he only did that because I was screaming “2nd base!! 2nd base!!” from my seat behind home.

Swish listened for once. ;)

13. June 16th, 2010 | 11:09 am

[...] games last year, all pitched by either Joba Chamberlain, Sergio Mitre or Chad Gaudin.  Only in my final game of the year — now a “Yankees Classic” on the YES Network — did I get to enjoy the sight [...]