• WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 10/28/09 – World Series Game One Edition

Posted by on October 28th, 2009 · Comments (23)

Click here for more information about this entry.

Let’s hope we’re not getting a shot full of this today…

…cause, if the Big Man don’t get it done, it’s going to be all uphill for the Yanks from there…

Comments on WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 10/28/09 – World Series Game One Edition

1. clintfsu813
      October 28th, 2009 | 7:52 am

I’ve been noticing all the predictions showing The Yanks as the should be winners of the WS. Anyone know what the predictions were in 2001 and 2003?

2. GDH
      October 28th, 2009 | 9:43 am

That’s great man – CC Lemon is seriously good stuff. Tasty and healthy. Vitamin C and Sugar baby, I’ll take that in Game one. Just ask Matsui-san.

3. Corey
      October 28th, 2009 | 9:45 am

So who’s down to watch the game at this bar in the city tomorrow night?:

4. YankCrank
      October 28th, 2009 | 10:21 am

Today’s the day boys!

5. clintfsu813
      October 28th, 2009 | 10:26 am

Lets get it on!

6. G.I. Joey
      October 28th, 2009 | 10:37 am

@ Corey:
      I would be, but I’m headed out of town until Monday. I had to sell my tickets for game 2 and the idea of watching the series in another town makes me uncomfortable. I’ve never been out of state while the Yanks were in the WS.

7. October 28th, 2009 | 11:36 am

OK, here’s a little something to pass the time while we wait on Game 1…and sorry if I asked this question before…in your opinion, what FIVE events this season were the biggest impact items on the Yankees season? Signing AJ/CC/Tex? A-Rod coming clean? A-Rod coming back from surgery? Hughes to the pen? That Cashman meeting in Atlanta? The first series where the Yankees beat Boston? That walk-off series against the Twins? The balls flying out of the new park? Picking up Swisher? Melky and Cano rebounding? Something else?

8. clintfsu813
      October 28th, 2009 | 11:42 am

My biggest was Arod coming back. It seemed to juice up the team and the record after his return shows. Obviously, overall, the signing of those big 3 had the biggest reason for our success.

9. YankCrank
      October 28th, 2009 | 12:10 pm

1 to 5, with 1 obviously being the most important

1) Signing Tex, keeping him away from Boston
      2) Signing CC and Burnett
      3) A-Rod coming back healthy and productive
      4) Getting production where we didn’t last year (Posada, Jeter, Cano, Melky)
      5) Our first win against Boston, proving we can compete with them and starting a span of going 9-1 and steamrolling them

Honorable Mentions:

-Series win in final series in Anaheim, proving we can win there which helped in the playoffs
      -Moving Phil Hughes to the pen and keeping him there
      -Signing Alfredo Aceves in 2008
      -Trading for Nick Swisher
      -Walkoffs baby, walkoffs
      -Joe Girardi’s bullpen strategy and CF platoon

10. YankCrank
      October 28th, 2009 | 12:12 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:
      What are yours?

11. October 28th, 2009 | 1:25 pm

@ YankCrank: You’ll have to wait for my book to see my list. ;-)

Hey, MJ, you doing a game thread tonight?

12. YankCrank
      October 28th, 2009 | 1:38 pm

Where is everybody today? No World Series excitement??

October 28th, 2009 | 1:44 pm

YankCrank wrote:

Where is everybody today? No World Series excitement??

I’m in South America… Peru to be exact. I’m excited about the WS, I hope tht I am able to catch a game down here. I saw a couple of innings of Red Sox-Rockies in 07, so hopefully I’ll be able to see the Yanks play on an ESPN or Fox affiliate down here.

14. Corey
      October 28th, 2009 | 1:50 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Here’s mine:
      1) signing CC
      2) re-signing Andy
      3)A-rod hitting a home run in his first AB, as it helped get the monkey off his back to re-assure everyone that he is still A-Rod
      4) releasing Jose Veras and demoting Edwar Ramirez while allowed for promoting Robertson and sending Hughes to the pen.
      5) Jeter batting lead-off

15. Corey
      October 28th, 2009 | 1:51 pm

Corey wrote:

while should be which

16. nwyank
      October 28th, 2009 | 1:59 pm

Out here on the West Coast and very excited. Taunting people at work, getting a lot of rolled eyes in response.
      I’m a little concerned about the hitting. Game 6: they plated 5 runs w/out an extra base hit. Damon’s bases loaded single the only significant hit of the game. Lots of GIDP’s. No hr, again. I’d like to see the offense do more than 4 runs. Then again, if the pitching staff gives up only 3, it’s good enough.
      The Bombers in 6.

17. jrk
      October 28th, 2009 | 2:18 pm

I’ve followed this blog for the entire season, but always have been more of a reader and never bothered to comment. Well now that I go to law school in the Boston area, I really need an outlet (other than drunken bar rambling) to share my yankee related thoughts and responses, so I hope the WS isn’t too late to get started.

It can never be overstated that pitching wins championships, so I have to rank:
      1) finally obtaining the true “ace” in CC – for both practical pitching purposes and the “intimidation” factor.
      2) the return on Andy, who despite short stretches of trouble throughout each season, I ALWAYS seem comfortable with on the mound
      3) Moving Phil to the ‘pen

18. ken
      October 28th, 2009 | 3:39 pm

I see game one as more important to Phillies. For all the talk of Pedro pitching against the Yanks, etc, game 2 favors NY. For Philly to go home 1-1, they need to win game one.

19. Corey
      October 28th, 2009 | 5:00 pm

jrk wrote:

Never too late buddy.

20. YankCrank
      October 28th, 2009 | 5:27 pm

Our last week of Yankees baseball of the year, let’s enjoy this guys :)

Go Yankees!

21. October 28th, 2009 | 5:30 pm

@ YankCrank: Well, technically, it’s 5 to 9 days left of games. ;-)

22. October 28th, 2009 | 5:42 pm
    23. Corey
      October 28th, 2009 | 6:38 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

An interesting read that has ties to tonight’s game:

Man that’s gotta sting. At least they aren’t Blue Jays fans though, right?