• WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 10/29/09 – World Series Game Two Edition

Posted by on October 29th, 2009 · Comments (23)

Click here for more information about this entry.

The Yankees won’t say who’s catching A.J. Burnett until Joe Girardi arrives at the ballpark today and posts his starting line-up. But, in case it’s Jorge Posada, let’s hope that “Jorgie & The Pie Man” take this suggestion…

Comments on WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 10/29/09 – World Series Game Two Edition

1. YankCrank
      October 29th, 2009 | 10:10 am

I think it’s pretty obvious. Tonight is the Yanks first must-win game in a long time, and it’s time to stop dicking around with Jose Molina catching AJ Burnett.

-Start Posada
      -Hit Pedro early and often
      -Leave the field celebrating with Sinatra in the background

That’s what we need, go and do it.

2. October 29th, 2009 | 10:42 am

Is it just me, or are MJ, butchie22, Evan3457, yagottagotomo1, bfriley76, #15, Pat F, srivinodh, nwyank, sanair and G.I. Joey MIA today? (I know that Raf is out of the country.)

Guys, what’s up?

3. nwyank
      October 29th, 2009 | 11:16 am

I’m here, and I had a lousy night.
      Here’s my take:
      I’ve always liked Cliff Lee; lefty, works fast, throws strikes, doesn’t get rattled, keeps himself in great shape. BUT….the Yankee hitters made him look better than he really was.
      Where’s the offense? By my recollection, NY has scored 3 ER in the past 20 innings. A bases loaded single and bases loaded walk. That aint’ gonna cut it.
      CC pitched well enough to win. The bullpen was awful. The offense struggled. Consistent themes throughout the playoffs.
      I know many are expecting NY to pound Pedro. But when was the last starting pitcher to get hit hard by NY? And I don’t mean walks and errors that lead to runs. I mean good, sustained rallies.
      Is that 3 games w/out a HR? I can’t even remember.
      I know Lee is good; but Saunders? Oliver? Kazmir? Weaver? Are they really THAT good?
      I think the Yankee offense is dead. It had better wake up soon.

Think about what Lee did: came into Yankee Stadium and pitched one of the best games in WS history (9 ip, 0 er, 10k, 0w) against (supposedly) the best lineup in baseball. Ugh.

4. October 29th, 2009 | 11:39 am

@ nwyank:Good points

5. Corey
      October 29th, 2009 | 11:41 am

nwyank wrote:

I think the Yankee offense is dead. It had better wake up soon.

I think they’re better then Pedro at this point, if that means anything.

6. Corey
      October 29th, 2009 | 11:42 am

nwyank wrote:

Hey Steve, you’re into pitching scores. What’s the score for a line like that?

7. October 29th, 2009 | 11:50 am

Corey wrote:

Hey Steve, you’re into pitching scores. What’s the score for a line like that?

8. Corey
      October 29th, 2009 | 12:57 pm

This is from Lohud’s Sam Borden:

“As I said on Twitter, Phil Hughes ducked the media after walking two to lead off the eighth. ”

If this were A-Rod, and A-Rod was one of the main goats of the game like Hughes was last night, he’d get absolutely killed in the papers.

9. Corey
      October 29th, 2009 | 12:59 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

The thing that really gets me about Lee is that we could have had him. But everyone thought that’d be overkill. So I guess we really can’t complain when losing to him, right?

10. YankCrank
      October 29th, 2009 | 1:10 pm

Corey wrote:

Who said Cliff Lee would have been overkill? I think every team would like to have Cliff Lee, but the Phillies gave up top prospects to acquire a guy who will be a free agent and bolt their town in one year. It can get them another WS, and everyone will say it was worth it, but maybe the Yankees didn’t want to bleed the top of their system for a guy they can just buy next year? Very similar to the Santana/CC situation.

11. Corey
      October 29th, 2009 | 1:47 pm

YankCrank wrote:

It wouldn’t have been a half season rental, as Lee has an option on his contract for next year that will most definitely get picked up. You really don’t remember all those people saying if the Yanks aquired Lee or Halladay at the trade deadline, that it’d be overkill and the Yankees would have bought the world series? Granted they will say the yankees bought the world series regardless.

12. YankCrank
      October 29th, 2009 | 2:12 pm

Corey wrote:

I don’t remember that, and if what you say is true, that’s silly. How would adding a great pitcher be overkill? Apparently, titles are easy to win and it’s more admirable when you do it on a budget.

Truth is, we really have no idea why Cliff Lee didn’t end up in pinstripes. It could be one of, more, or none of the following reasons I can think of:

-Spending $400+ million less than a year ago limited the Yankee payroll for this year, and didn’t want/couldn’t afford to take on his $5.75 million due in 2009

-His $8 million 2010 option is more than they want to pay

-Yanks simply didn’t want to give up 4 of their top 10 prospects (like the Phils did) to acquire a guy they can just buy in one year

-Yanks system isn’t deep enough to give up 4 prospects and recover at this point

All are reasonable ideas. But we can’t get every big name player we want, we could have “had Lee” but it may not have been worth the price.

13. Corey
      October 29th, 2009 | 2:37 pm

YankCrank wrote:

Corey wrote:
      -His $8 million 2010 option is more than they want to pay

Not sure your point, all I was saying was that we can’t complain.

14. YankCrank
      October 29th, 2009 | 2:50 pm

Corey wrote:

Not sure your point, all I was saying was that we can’t complain.

I think I may have missed your point. I thought you were trying to say you were upset because we could have had him, and don’t.

Sorry for the confusion.

15. October 29th, 2009 | 2:51 pm

Corey wrote:

This is from Lohud’s Sam Borden:

No, not Phil the Franchise! Say it ain’t so!

16. October 29th, 2009 | 2:53 pm

My prediction for tonight: It’s either going to be GREAT or it’s going to be TERRIBLE – no in between.

Either the Yanks win and pound the poop out of Petey, or, AJ blows up and Martinez and the Phils win. One or the other, and nothing else.

17. Corey
      October 29th, 2009 | 3:08 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

No, not Phil the Franchise! Say it ain’t so!

Not sure if you got where I was going with that, I want people to get on Hughes.

18. bfriley76
      October 29th, 2009 | 3:16 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Guys, what’s up?

Sorry Steve…swamped at work and doing everything I can to make sure I get home in time to catch the beginning of the game. I agree with your later comment. Tonight is either going to be great or terrible. I’m leaning towards great because I can’t imagine the Yankees losing a Game after Jay-Z performs on the field :)

19. Corey
      October 29th, 2009 | 3:23 pm

bfriley76 wrote:

Am I the only one bothered by the fact that Jay-Z (or anyone for that matter) is performing during, before , or around a baseball game? This IS NOT the NFL.

20. October 29th, 2009 | 3:26 pm

@ bfriley76:I feel ya on the work thing. Hang in there!

@ Corey: You’re not the only one. ;-)

21. October 29th, 2009 | 4:36 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Guys, what’s up?

Lol Steve..i was MIA… i think we were so thoroughly beaten that i didnt have much of anything to complain or whine about.. just chalked it upto the other guys being good..

But, yesterday’s Yanks loss was not the worst of the news i had, it was an all around bad day for me… today it has been a very tough day to recover from.. this Yankee loss didnt sting me that much either… yeah there were flashes of 03, when i remeber Pierre doing some good things against us.. atleast we were in the game till the 8th… but i just didnt have or tried to reflect much on the loss..

unfortunately, the yankee loss was only secondary to me last night… i will post once i get over the hump… and a Yanks win tonight can only help

22. October 29th, 2009 | 4:40 pm

@ srivinodh:
      Sorry to hear that! Hang in there.

23. October 29th, 2009 | 4:53 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

@ srivinodh:
      Sorry to hear that! Hang in there.

Thanks Steve…