• WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 10/30/09 – World Series Travel Day To Philly Edition

Posted by on October 30th, 2009 · Comments (17)

Click here for more information about this entry.

Oh, boy, three days done in the “City of Brotherly Love.” Let’s hope the Yankees give the Phillies their money’s worth.

Comments on WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 10/30/09 – World Series Travel Day To Philly Edition

1. MJ
      October 30th, 2009 | 9:28 am

One of my favorite scenes in one of my favorite movies.

2. October 30th, 2009 | 10:18 am

Ditto.

3. YankCrank
      October 30th, 2009 | 11:14 am

I hadn’t seen this movie until last summer, and I really didn’t know what I was missing. Just hilarious.

4. October 30th, 2009 | 11:52 am

It is a modern day classic!

5. October 30th, 2009 | 11:54 am

BTW, this month, October, has been the biggest traffic (site visit/page views) month at WW since April and May of this season. Thanks to all for their interest and support this month. Always good to go out on a high note. ;-)

6. YankCrank
      October 30th, 2009 | 12:20 pm

So, best of 5 series starts in Philly and our next two pitchers are Pettitte and CC. I’m feeling good about that.

As long as we can start hitting the ball a little more, I think we’re in good shape.

7. bfriley76
      October 30th, 2009 | 12:48 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

It is a modern day classic!

Is 26 years ago really “Modern”? You’re right about the classic part. It took me a little while to appreciate all the comedy, but I was 8 or 9 the first time I saw this, and I was immediately appreciative of Jamie Lee Curtis’ contribution to the movie. :)

8. October 30th, 2009 | 12:52 pm

@ bfriley76:

When you’re almost 47, yes, 26 years ago is modern.

Not as modern as “Dude, Where’s My Car?”
      But, then again, not as old as “Where’s Poppa?”

;-)

9. Corey
      October 30th, 2009 | 1:53 pm

Ya know, I’ve never seen this one. And I’m a man who loves his comedy; adding it to the list.

10. jrk
      October 30th, 2009 | 3:14 pm

How do you guys feel the NL rules will affect the next three games? Do you think it will have a significant or minimal impact on the Yankees offense? If the offense struggles on Saturday night, would Joe have to consider giving Matsui a start in the outfield? (Assuming he is starting out relegated to pinch-hitting duty). Just curious to see everyone’s take on how they would approach the lack of DH.

I personally would start hairston or gardner (over swish due to lack of production, and reluctantly over matsui b/c i think it’s too much of a liability to have him in the field – both potentially injury-wise and his lack of play there all season). But it kills me to see a clutch bat like Matsui’s not in the lineup, especially after a huge game 2.

11. Corey
      October 30th, 2009 | 3:41 pm

jrk wrote:

I highly doubt it. Matsui can barely run the bases without needing to get his knees drained, forget about playing the field.

I think you gotta run Swisher out there again, with a 1 game leash, hoping that riding the pine gave him the kick in the ass he needs. After that, you can put Hairston in if Swish fails. Gardner, to me at this point, is more valuable off the bench as a pinch runner then as a starting OFer.

12. October 30th, 2009 | 4:19 pm

Yeah, seeing Matsui run to first on grounders is painful. No way he sees any time in the OF – now, or probably ever again.

13. October 30th, 2009 | 4:48 pm

Guys check this out

“The objective is to get it right, we asked each other what we had seen and the replay confirmed we got it right,” crew chief Jerry Davis said, according to the New York Post.

Now thats startling, what good is replay, if there is no yearly eyetest for the umps… did he look at the same replay that even the ESPN Bosox agree as a wrongDP… re-read the quote.. this is the best 6 of the umps… Shame and a scam

14. October 30th, 2009 | 4:49 pm

srivinodh wrote:

Guys check this out

meant to add this.. he is talking abt the Howard trapped play

here is the link

15. Corey
      October 30th, 2009 | 4:53 pm

@ srivinodh:
      If I was MLB, I’d just pay an umpire to sit in a booth and watch the game on TV. You put a mic and earpiece on all the umps, and the guy in the booth, and connect them to each other. If there’s a questionable call, have the umps talk to the dude in the booth to get the right call via their headset. It’s faster then having the umps watch the replay every time.

16. October 30th, 2009 | 5:16 pm

Corey wrote:

@ srivinodh:

Absolutely, you dont have to review every call… strikes/balls, interference, obstruction they can be non-reviewable…

but this quote by the crew chief just enragesme… awful

17. 77yankees
      October 30th, 2009 | 8:15 pm

@ jrk:

No Matsui in the OF – no way. Our OF is average at best defensively, and you don’t want to give Philly an opening there to take advantage of on the bases.