• WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 11/3/09 – World Series Travel Day Back To New York Edition

Posted by on November 3rd, 2009 · Comments (18)

Click here for more information about this entry.

Did you know that, since 1996, there have been just five “Game Six” situations played in the World Series – and the Yankees have played in three of those five?

New York’s record in these: One win in 1996 and two losses in 2001 and 2003.

In fact, the last “Game Six” in the World Series was the last World Series game played at the “last” Yankee Stadium…which the Yankees lost.

In any event, so, what are you thinking about the World Series so far? Most exciting one in baseball since 2002? It just may be…if you ask me.

Comments on WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 11/3/09 – World Series Travel Day Back To New York Edition

1. Corey
      November 3rd, 2009 | 9:28 am

========
      We’ll see how it ends up before we start talking about it’s place in history. In any event, I still think the 2001 World Series (despite losing) is the best World Series of my lifetime.

2. MJ
      November 3rd, 2009 | 9:54 am

Corey wrote:

I hated that one. Yes, yes, I know about the middle three games at Yankee Stadium and all that but I just hated everything about that WS.

The best WS of my lifetime would be the 1991 matchup between Atlanta and Minnesota.

3. Corey
      November 3rd, 2009 | 10:36 am

MJ wrote:

To me, those were the most exciting games to watch in my life.

4. jrk
      November 3rd, 2009 | 11:24 am

Not sure what you guys think of this, but I think that Melky’s absence is a bigger deal than people think. Gardner just looks completely lost at the plate, as he obviously has not had many plate appearances lately. Additionally, not having Gardner on the bench for a late-game “Dave Roberts” situation could end up making a difference in a tight game. I know that Melky isn’t the best offensive player, but there is a reason he won the CF job back, and he has provided some big hits for the Yanks in ’09.

So, what do you guys think? Is it just me? Will Melky’s injury be more of a non-factor heading back to Yankee stadium and getting Matsui’s bat back in the line-up? Will the rest of the Yanks line-up carry the arguably “weaker” 9th spot? (clearly texeira/cano won’t…but that’s another matter…)

5. YankCrank
      November 3rd, 2009 | 11:48 am

jrk wrote:

So, what do you guys think?

If we lose three games in a row, two of them being at home, to lose the World Series…than it will be a result of far larger reasons than Brett Gardner being our #9 hitter.

6. cr1
      November 3rd, 2009 | 11:53 am

Melky’s absence last night was a big deal, because with no DH and Girardi’s silly obsession with Molina’s supposed ability to keep Babycakes from imploding, the bottom third of the lineup was already in trouble. Not as big a deal with Posada and Matsui back where they belong (and are so desperately needed with Teixera and Cano MIA).@ jrk:

7. MJ
      November 3rd, 2009 | 12:17 pm

@ YankCrank:
      Bingo.

@ jrk:
      I think Melky and Gardner are completely fungible players. The only impact here is the loss of depth which I suppose Guzman could mitigate. Overall, however, the Yanks lose no defense or offense by having Gardner in the lineup over Melky. They’re both 9-hole hitters and 4th outfielder types.

@ cr1:
      Be that as it may, neither Molina nor Gardner were the reason why the Yanks lost last night. The pitching stunk and Cliff Lee dominated until the 8th. Posada and Melky wouldn’t have changed anything.

8. Tresh Fan
      November 3rd, 2009 | 12:37 pm

Well, I don’t know about you, but the best World Series of MY lifetime was 2000—beating the Mutts in 5 was awesome.

The most exciting were probably in ’62 and ’64.

9. MJ
      November 3rd, 2009 | 12:44 pm

@ Tresh Fan:
      When I picked the ’91 WS as the “best”, I did so from an objective point of view.

If the question was “most gratifying”, I’d say ’98 or ’00. I was at Game 1 of the ’98 WS and I loved completing the mission of having not only the best regular season but the best post-season. The pressure to succeed was tremendous and it was great to pull it off. As for ’00, you said it: it was a lot of fun to beat the Mets and to then hear them whine afterwards.

10. Corey
      November 3rd, 2009 | 1:00 pm

MJ wrote:

Guzman is not on the roster.

11. MJ
      November 3rd, 2009 | 1:27 pm

@ Corey:
      WTF are they waiting for? Melky’s done.

12. Corey
      November 3rd, 2009 | 1:40 pm

MJ wrote:

@ Corey:
      WTF are they waiting for? Melky’s done.

Pena was his replacement.

13. MJ
      November 3rd, 2009 | 2:07 pm

@ Corey:
      Wait, seriously? Other than PR duties, there’s nothing Pena offers this team from a defensive standpoint since you’d never lift A-Rod, Jeter or Cano.

14. Corey
      November 3rd, 2009 | 3:15 pm

MJ wrote:

@ Corey:

To be fair, what would Guzman have done? Granted I don’t know who’s faster between Pena and Guzman, but this shouldn’t be a decision that makes that big of a deal I’d hope.

15. Evan3457
      November 3rd, 2009 | 4:16 pm

Yanks lost the last Game 6 played in Yankee Stadium in 2003, and lost the Series with it.

But they also lost the last game 7 played at Yankee Stadium.

5 brownie points for anyone who can name the year WITHOUT looking it up somewhere on the internets.

16. MJ
      November 3rd, 2009 | 4:20 pm

@ Corey:
      I agree, in the end, if this decision matters then things have gone horribly, horribly wrong.

Having said that — and I say this without knowing ANYTHING about Pena’s speed — I imagine Guzman is faster than Pena simply because that’s why they traded for him. We were told that Guzman’s speed was game-changing and that he was well-suited for PR duties, kind of like Homer Bush in 1998.

I’d be surprised if he’s faster than Pena, personally.

17. MJ
      November 3rd, 2009 | 4:26 pm

@ Evan3457:
      The Yanks lost Game 7 vs. Boston in 2004. They lost in the ALDS in 2005, 2006 and 2007 and missed the playoffs in 2008 so I have to imagine that’s the last Game 7 played at the old ballpark.

You didn’t specify Game 7 in general or Game 7 in a World Series…

18. MJ
      November 3rd, 2009 | 4:29 pm

@ Evan3457:
      Game 7, 1957 WS.

My original guess was the 1964 WS but that Game 7 was played in St. Louis. I had to look up the answer…