• November 4th Vs. The Phillies

Posted by on November 4th, 2009 · Comments (76)

God, it feels like I’ve been waiting 29 days to exhale.

And…man…it feels great to breathe again!

I’m so happy to see two of my favorite Yankees, Andy Pettitte and Hideki Matsui, have big contributions towards this wonderful win. And, if this has to be Godzilla’s last game as a member of the Yankees, there’s no better high note to exit on…

The 2009 New York Yankees are the World Champions of Major League Baseball!

Hey, give the Philadelphia Phillies some credit. They were the defending champs. They made it back to the World Series this year. And, they pushed it to Game Six before checking out. In the end, they will lament Game Four. But, on the whole, the Phillies did not embarrass themselves in this Fall Classic.

And, now, I’m just going to shut up and allow “the sound of the crowd” to tell the story.

Yankeeland, the comments section of this entry is all yours to enjoy. Go for it, rejoice, and, when you’re done, celebrate a little more. There’s no such as having too much fun – as long as it’s in good taste – after your team has just won a World Championship.

I’m going to take the next 48 hours, or so, off in order to kick back, let this all permeate, and smile a whole helluva lot in the process.

But, before I go, here’s Frank. Play him loud. Play him often. For, in Yankeeland, there’s no better soundtrack to get a ring party started right…

Comments on November 4th Vs. The Phillies

1. MJ
      November 4th, 2009 | 11:57 pm

Congrats, Steve, this one’s for you.

I’ve been reading since 2005 and we’ve been through some bitter moments. It feels good to know that this is the #1 blog of a CHAMPIONSHIP ballclub.

2. sanair
      November 5th, 2009 | 12:00 am

Yay!

3. 77yankees
      November 5th, 2009 | 12:01 am

Winning never gets old……

And it’s a time to kick back, enjoy the privilege of rooting for the greatest franchise in sports.

For George Steinbrenner, we toast a glass to you most of all. Enjoy it big guy, and thanks!!!

4. YankCrank
      November 5th, 2009 | 12:23 am

Holly shit, this feels amazing.

World Series Champs!

I’ll get on and talk with you more tomorrow, but for now…lots of drinking and high fives await…

5. JeremyM
      November 5th, 2009 | 12:41 am

Congrats everyone! What a fantastic win- have to agree Steve, seeing Matsui coming through like that was the icing on the cake. I’ll always be a little upset Mussina didn’t get a ring, and it would’ve been even worse if Matsui didn’t get one either.

Really happy for Alex Rodriguez, he really does seem like a new man.

HELL YES!!!

6. clintfsu813
      November 5th, 2009 | 1:04 am

Its been great being apart of this small and loyal yankee community. Im gonna enjoy this guys!

7. Tresh Fan
      November 5th, 2009 | 2:04 am

I’m going to savor this one. It was a long time coming, and I don’t know how long it will be before 28. But, MAN, this is just GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Evan3457
      November 5th, 2009 | 2:26 am

I was there. 1st row of sec. 232b. Paid beaucoups bucks for it.
      It was worth every penny.

I’ve never seen a title won in person. Now I can say I have.

No more do Girardi, Cashman, Long, Eiland, A-Rod, Matsui, Cano, Swisher, Melky, Texiera, Burnett, Joba, and all the great veterans have to answer the complaints, the whining, the insults, the abuse, the unfair criticism, the scurrilous reportage.

To the Fab Four, the Class of ’95: welcome home, boys. It’s good to see you again.

To the Steinbrenner family: thank you for caring so much about winning.

=========================================
      What is a real Yankee? In the end, a real Yankee is any Yankee who contributes toward making the Yanks the champions of baseball, even for only one season.

Everybody on the roster is a real Yankee now, and nobody can ever take that away from them. Ever. They have this title, this year, this night.

And so do we. Congratulations to all my fellow Yankee fans. You deserve this.

To the Champs of 2009, again, I say: thank you, boys.

Now let’s enjoy the off-season. After all, pitchers and catchers are just 3 months away, give or take.

9. batty
      November 5th, 2009 | 2:50 am

So wait – if they lost it was all Cashman’s fault who’s fault is it that they won?

10. Pat F
      November 5th, 2009 | 3:51 am

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

11. joehewitt
      November 5th, 2009 | 4:31 am

Hey Steve. I’ve been reading your blog for a long time and you’re one of my favorites. After all these years of disappointment it’s great to share the moment with a great fan like yourself. Congrats to all of us!

12. Scout
      November 5th, 2009 | 7:07 am

Wonderful! Tremendous! And now we can get back to the real business of this blog — judging Brian Cashman. :-)

13. antone
      November 5th, 2009 | 7:51 am

Even without the World Series victory, this is a team I enjoyed watching play more than any in the last few seasons. Many of the players on past teams had gotten stale and it’s clear that this new group of players had better chemistry and more fun at the ballpark day in and day out. It was refreshing and felt like a new team with a mix of the old. I’m happy for all the guys who won their 5th ring and I’m just as happy to see all of the new guys get their first ring. They definitely earned it.

P.S. told you they would be alright with C.C. !!!

14. clintfsu813
      November 5th, 2009 | 8:18 am

We will never win a title with Arod on this team…..HI HATERS!!!!!

15. MJ
      November 5th, 2009 | 8:44 am

clintfsu813 wrote:

We will never win a title with Arod on this team…..HI HATERS!!!!!

This is my favorite part of the championship, by far. He won it and he played a huge role. There is nothing anyone can ever say about him ever again without coming off like a complete douche. A-Rod’s the man.

16. MJ
      November 5th, 2009 | 8:45 am

Question for everyone: last night I saw Randy Levine on the field and I saw Hal Steinbrenner on the field. I didn’t see Brian Cashman. Anyone know where he was? Was he fired and we didn’t hear about it?

17. clintfsu813
      November 5th, 2009 | 9:02 am

He was busy hunting down the haters one by one

18. November 5th, 2009 | 9:06 am

WHAT?!!! We didn’t SWEEP?!!! FIRE CASHMAN, TRADE A-ROD, GAAAAARRGGHHH!!!!

;-)

19. MJ
      November 5th, 2009 | 9:08 am

By the way, Pete Abraham is really something…

What a phony this guy is.

20. November 5th, 2009 | 9:11 am

@ MJ:

He was always a closet Yankee-hater. Now he just doesn’t have to hide his contempt anymore…

21. MJ
      November 5th, 2009 | 9:23 am

@ Pete:
      Apparently.

The funny/sad thing is that he gets only 10-15 comments per post and most of them come from Yankee fans that mock him. It must be humbling to take what you thought was a better job at a better paper and only to find out that it’s not everything you thought it would be.

By the way, Pete plaigarized from his old LoHud stomping grounds. If anyone bothered reading his new blog, they’d be shocked. Seriously, I’m not saying this out of spite, Pete should be suspended for a week for blatant plaigarism:

22. Tcarda4
      November 5th, 2009 | 9:28 am

THE YANKEES ARE CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it just me that feels like everything is finally right again in the world? You couldnt put me in a bad mood right now if you tried

23. November 5th, 2009 | 9:47 am

Steve,

I’ve come to this site after countless victories and defeats. It’s my pleasure to visit today after the Yankees reclaimed their position on top of the baseball mountain.

I know people accuse you of raining on parades, but even you can’t take issue with a forecast of 51 degrees and sunny for a brisk walk up the Canyon of Heroes on Friday!

Thanks for another great season of write-ups.

24. Corey
      November 5th, 2009 | 9:47 am

MJ wrote:

Cashman was in the locker room getting champaigne poured on him by almost every player

25. Corey
      November 5th, 2009 | 9:49 am

MJ wrote:

@ Pete:
      Apparently.

Lol what a total schmuck. Somebody should send that to Chad.

26. Corey
      November 5th, 2009 | 9:56 am

Side Note: Can’t wait to see Damon in another uniform!

27. Corey
      November 5th, 2009 | 10:05 am

Also, good to see Wang out on the field. Although, he needs a hair cut, badly.

28. November 5th, 2009 | 10:07 am

Hey all! Just taking a quick peek in. Great morning, eh?

Thanks to all with the kind words. And, for those looking to push buttons, hey, if that’s what you want to do on a morning like this, after a night like last night, well, hey. it’s your dime today – feel free to use it as you feel best….you can be happy, celebrate, etc., or, you can try to get a rise out of me. But, on the latter, today, dudes, it ain’t gonna happen. ;-)

Question: Someone asked me this and I haven’t seen the answer yet. Why was Brian Cashman not on the field last night with the Bros. Stein, Levine, Trost, et al.? Heck, even Hank was there! I noticed this in the clubhouse, after they beat the Angels and were getting the trophy, as well…Hal was there, Levine, Trost…even Bloomberg, but, no Cashman. What’s going on – is Cash not part of the leadership team anymore? Again, I haven’t seen if there’s been a reason stated – so, if someone knows, please share. It does seem odd that he was MIA, both times, no?

29. Corey
      November 5th, 2009 | 10:09 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Why was Brian Cashman not on the field last night with the Bros.

He was in the clubhouse hanging with the players. Him and Melky appear to be quite buddy-buddy.

30. November 5th, 2009 | 10:11 am

MJ wrote:

Whoops – just saw that we crossed on this. Sorry for the dupe question.

31. November 5th, 2009 | 10:12 am

Corey wrote:

Still seems strange that he was not of the field with the Steins, Levine, Trost and Girardi, no? That’s where he should be…no?

32. November 5th, 2009 | 10:14 am

BYW, if anyone’s been to Modell’s yet today, to get your World Championship gear, let us know how insane it is…I’m hoping to get there after work.

33. November 5th, 2009 | 10:15 am

Paul Katcher wrote:

Thanks for another great season of write-ups.

LOL. Thanks Paul. By buddy, Chris, who works for the DOT, will be on one of the trucks tomorrow. He’s promised to share pictures. Let’s hope that he does!

November 5th, 2009 | 10:20 am

clintfsu813 wrote:

He was busy hunting down the haters one by one

:D

November 5th, 2009 | 10:22 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Corey wrote:

Nah, they don’t know how to party… I’d rather be doused by champagne in the locker room. Swisher got him and his daughter :)

November 5th, 2009 | 10:24 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

They were talking about opening @ 5am in Greenburgh. Forgot to swing by the one in Port Chester. But I don’t think the scene will be as crazy up here :)

37. clintfsu813
      November 5th, 2009 | 10:24 am

Raf wrote:

clintfsu813 wrote:
      He was busy hunting down the haters one by one

Thats exactly what I had in mind, lmao.
      BTW, ordered my Champion shirt about 10 minutes after last pitch. I just may wear it for a week straight.
      Side note…Did Matsui just earn another contract..albeit a small one?

38. November 5th, 2009 | 10:25 am

@Steve Lombardi: I wrote congrats in one of the other threads, but wanted to make sure to say it here, and to thank you for your great site. And for you being a great person!

Squawker Jon and I noticed the Cashman thing, too. Especially since he made the point, when people wondered where he was with AL trophy title presentation, to say that he was waiting for WS in order to celebrate.

Incidentally, we were at one of the Giants Stadium Springsteen shows in September, and noticed Patti Scialfa wasn’t there. What else could she possibly have to do? I think that marriage is on the rocks – you heard it here first – but I digress!

@ MJ:
      I noticed that too. The saddest thing is that I saw Yankee fans on Twitter last night thanking him for his coverage this year. And how does he repay those fans for their support? He writes something so petty.

I have a lot of Yankee-hating friends. I heard congrats from many of them last night, even though it pained them to do so. Nobody said anything as mean-spirited as that guy.

November 5th, 2009 | 10:36 am

I’ve been here since the beginning too, and I’m happy to share this moment with the WW community.

Thanks again for your hard work, Steve, and thanks for the banter, guys

40. YankCrank
      November 5th, 2009 | 10:52 am

Thank you Steve for all of your hard work, and thanks for all of the new friends I made around this time last year when I started visiting and writing back and forth with you all.

This is a great feeling, and we have no clue when we’ll feel it again. Enjoy it :)

-So happy for Jorgy, Jeter, Mo and Andy
      -Happy for Cashman for pushing off the haters
      -Like MJ said, good for A-Rod…he now answers to nobody
      -Glad Matsui got one, same with Damon
      -Hope there are more to come for Tex, CC, Burnett and Swish

41. G.I. Joey
      November 5th, 2009 | 10:57 am

Mission 27 Completed! I’ve been wound up so tight the past couple of weeks and now I feel completely serene. This was my first time witnessing a World Series win and person and of course it’s something I’ll always remember for the rest of my life. It’s been a wonderful ride.

I never read any Yankee blogs before this season and I am so thankful that I stumbled upon this one randomnly. Thank you Steve for providing an intelligent forum for all of us to discuss the team we all love.

42. November 5th, 2009 | 11:13 am

OK, so, here’s a question for ya’ll:

I’ve seen 7 great WS as a Yankees fan: 1977, 1978, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000 and 2009
      and, I’ve seen some that hurt: 1976, 1981, 2001, and 2003

I’m not sure where to place 2009 in terms of the thrill and satisfaction. I’m thinking the order is: 1978, 1977, 1996, 1998, 2000, 2009 and 1999.
      Doesn’t mean that 2009 is bad – just that the others were special for different reasons.

So, for you, where do you rank #27 (2009) compared to other recent Yankees rings that have happened in your lifetime?

43. MJ
      November 5th, 2009 | 11:16 am

YankCrank wrote:

This is a great feeling, and we have no clue when we’ll feel it again. Enjoy it
      -So happy for Jorgy, Jeter, Mo and Andy
      -Happy for Cashman for pushing off the haters
      -Like MJ said, good for A-Rod…he now answers to nobody
      -Glad Matsui got one, same with Damon
      -Hope there are more to come for Tex, CC, Burnett and Swish

Well said. I love this site and I’m glad we all got to climb the mountain together.

44. Corey
      November 5th, 2009 | 11:20 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

2009 and 1999.
      Doesn’t mean that 2009 is bad – just that the

I’ve only seen baseball from 1992-, so my order would be:

1996, 2000, 2009, 1998, 1999

45. GDH
      November 5th, 2009 | 11:20 am

Steve, I will join the chorus in thanking you for a great blog and THE go-to spot in any media for the most intelligent discussion of Yankee baseball. How utterly disappointing about Pete Abe. I still read the LoHud, but thank you MJ for pointing out what Pete has become (or maybe what he was all along). The haters will begin the whining about money anew, but the faithful on this blog know that no amount of money could produce what we have enjoyed this year. Not only Steve, but all the regulars here make this site the best. Thank you all.

This year’s Yanks were a blast to watch. I am so happy for Hideki Matsui and I hope that he somehow can find his way back to the Bronx, although I know that might not be very realistic. He’s been my son’s favorite Yankee since he signed, and he is a standup guy and the Yankees’ only tie to my wife’s homeland. To watch him tattoo the mango-tree-sitter was simply sublime.

Finally, I will proudly collect my bet for this series, from my true friend and Phillies lover, who will now have to wear a Yankees cap all summer and send me pictures. This bet was made after game 1, with the Yanks in a 0-1 hole at home. This is one hell of a team and one hell of a good day.

46. MJ
      November 5th, 2009 | 11:22 am

@ Steve Lombardi:
      I’ve seen 5 WS winners (’96, ’98-’00, ’09) and 2 WS heartbreaks (’01, ’03) and my order would be:

’96, ’98, ’09, ’00, ’99.

The first one in 1996 will always be the sweetest, especially because I was in college at the time and my roommate was from Atlanta. The ’98 team is the best one I’ve ever seen and it felt wonderful to complete the mission and win 125 ballgames. And although it felt great to beat the Mets (’00) for the 3-peat and it felt great to beat the Braves (’99) for the repeat, this year’s championship slid into third place for me. I love 96% of the active roster, I love the come-from-behind wins, I love how they played .660 ball from the day A-Rod hit a 3-run homer on the first pitch of his season in May.

It’s been a long, long time since I LOVED the Yanks the way I love them right now. This team was the most likeable, most pleasant and most drama-free ballclub we’ve had in years. With apologies to Moose, Giambi and some others, this team just right from Day 1.

November 5th, 2009 | 11:39 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

1996: You always remember your first (I was 3 & 4 years old in 77 & 78)
      1998: Just a great all around team, firing on all cylinders
      2009: This was the closest to the 1998 team WRT being “on a mission.”
      2000: Wasn’t a big fan of the hype and hoopla of the subway series, and I didn’t think it was a particularly memorable series, I wouldn’t say it was a classic, despite several memorable moments.
      1999: Same as 2000, not particularly a memorable WS, despite several moments

48. November 5th, 2009 | 11:41 am

@ Raf:
      @ MJ:

Guys, really, winning in 2009 was better than beating the Mets in 2000?

49. November 5th, 2009 | 11:41 am

@ Corey: 2009 was better than the dream season of 1998?

50. Evan3457
      November 5th, 2009 | 11:42 am

clintfsu813 wrote:

He was busy hunting down the haters one by one

Like the scene from Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back, when they take their royalty fees from the “Bluntman & Chronic” “movie”, and buy a spitload of airplane tickets, and fly all over the country beating the crap out of everyone who called them names on MoviePoopShoot.com

51. MJ
      November 5th, 2009 | 11:43 am

@ Steve Lombardi:
      For me, yeah. Bigger picture, it meant more to me for the Yanks to put a bow on their best season in years than to beat up on a rival that, in the grand scheme of things, is still an expansion team level pile of crap.

Sure it was fun to tease Mets fans but, to me, the 3-peat part of the story was more important than who we were beating. It could’ve been the Braves, Padres or anyone else for me. I just wanted to win that 3rd one in a row.

52. Corey
      November 5th, 2009 | 11:48 am

@ Steve Lombardi:
      To me, yeah. Don’t get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed 1998. But really, hanging out here being able to talk baseball with you guys, really elevated this World Series for me. I had a ton of fun this season. Every other World Series I spent watching alone, with nobody to talk baseball with (Nobody I know in real life is into baseball, for the most part. And certainly not to the same level as I am). It was just that much better to have shared the experience with you, and everyone else here.

Also, I dunno if this is just me, but I enjoy a tough fought world series. In 1998, they pretty much stream rolled through the Padres.

53. MJ
      November 5th, 2009 | 12:02 pm

Corey wrote:

An extremely underrated and excellent point. Part of the joy of being fan now is sitting at home on my computer talking with you guys while the game is going on. I love this blog because I get to talk baseball every single day. I didn’t have that before 2005 which is why this year’s WS was so special.

54. chicken stanley
      November 5th, 2009 | 12:04 pm

Steve,

Love this blog (even when I vehemently disagree), been reading it almost from Day 1, have posted under a variety of usernames with a long lapsed where I could never figure out how to log in on Word Press, but always come back for more of your inimitable curmudgeonliness. Pitchers catchers just around the corner. Let’s keep going!

55. November 5th, 2009 | 12:15 pm

Wow. Again, thanks to all for their kind words left here.
      I do appreciate it all.
      And, I also enjoy being able to share the baseball season with you all.

BTW, I put a feeler out to some of my beat writer and columnist contacts on the Cashman thing.

First one to get back to me said: “Probably just being humble. I’m sure if he wanted to be up there, no one would have kicked him off the stage.”

November 5th, 2009 | 12:20 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

@ Raf:
      @ MJ:
      Guys, really, winning in 2009 was better than beating the Mets in 2000?

Yep. The Mets are of little concern to me, I never really bought into the rivalry of the two organizations. I dunno, maybe it was because I was tired of seeing them in interleague play, and the Mayor’s cup before that. But while I was glad to see the Yanks win that it came at the expense of the Mets didn’t mean much. They’re just another NL team to me.

57. November 5th, 2009 | 12:23 pm

FYI, second response in from one of the contacts on the Cashman MIA thing:

“It’s something he chooses to do. He’s said many times that it’s not really his
      scene. I saw him plenty last night – believe me, he was celebrating.”

58. Corey
      November 5th, 2009 | 12:27 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

FYI, second response in from one of the contacts on the Cashman MIA thing:
      “It’s something he chooses to do. He’s said many times that it’s not really his
      scene. I saw him plenty last night – believe me, he was celebrating.”

That’s for sure, the cameras showed him at various times celebrating with the players. (the Melk man, it seemed, most of all…which surprised me)

59. YankCrank
      November 5th, 2009 | 12:28 pm

Yankees win 114 games, the AL East, the AL and the World Series!

So with nothing to complain about…what do we do now?

60. MJ
      November 5th, 2009 | 12:53 pm

YankCrank wrote:

Yankees win 114 games, the AL East, the AL and the World Series!
      So with nothing to complain about…what do we do now?

The Hot Stove will be here soon enough and the business of baseball will take over. Do we need another starting pitcher or do we need two? Will Andy Pettitte come back? Will the Yanks non-tender Chien Ming Wang? Will the Yanks go after Holliday and/or Bay?

But, to answer your question, we enjoy this! In due time we’ll be back to bickering and debating. For now, we just bask in the glow of being diehard fans of the best ballclub around!

61. November 5th, 2009 | 12:54 pm

More on the Cash thing from another beat contact:

Cashman told me after the ALCS that he’s never really been a part of the podium ceremonies, by his own choosing. I can tell you that he was in the clubhouse postgame and getting doused with champagne several times.

62. MJ
      November 5th, 2009 | 12:54 pm

By the way, a great piece by Bill Rhoden of the NY Times:

Last line says it all!

November 5th, 2009 | 1:00 pm

MJ wrote:

Yep, GM meetings are next week

64. yagottagotomo1
      November 5th, 2009 | 1:04 pm

Soooo……when do pitchers and catchers report?

Seriously, I can’t believe this season is over. I’ve never had more fun following a team in my life, and I can’t believe that we don’t get to watch them anymore. Hopefully 2010 is more of the same.

In regard to the championships, I was 12 in 1996, and I think that is the perfect age to enjoy the sport at a “junior” level, just enjoying the drama and games without overthinking it.

So I probably go:

1996
      2009
      1998 (In a way, it was almost to easy for a 14 year old to really enjoy)
      2000 (beating the Mets was great, but this was not a great season until the ALCS)
      1999

65. MJ
      November 5th, 2009 | 1:25 pm

Just thought of something:

All throughout the year, we heard about how no team had won a World Series with a shortstop as “elderly” as Derek Jeter since Pee Wee Reese back in the ’55 Subway Series.

I guess now we can say that it CAN be done! Congrats to DJ for getting one for his thumb and for putting himself in a position to tie Reese as the only 35 year olds to win a WS…if the Yanks can repeat! ;-)

66. Left Coast Mike
      November 5th, 2009 | 2:49 pm

I’ll join in thanking Steve for blogging all these years, well done! My buddy made me a Yankee addict back in ’01 when we went to an A’s game here in the Bay Area during ALDS. So, I’ve not known the feeling of winning a WS until yesterday, and it feels awesome!

67. YankCrank
      November 5th, 2009 | 3:15 pm

World Champs!

68. MJ
      November 5th, 2009 | 3:17 pm

YankCrank wrote:

World Champs!

Say it again!

69. nwyank
      November 5th, 2009 | 4:01 pm

Extremely proud of this team.
      I was wrong about so many things: Girardi could not replace Torre; Arod would never win; team was too old; etc.
      Boy, was I ever wrong! Sorry that Mussina was not part of it, but life cannot be perfect.
      Fantastic site, Steve, and I give you my most sincere thanks. Living on the West Coast means limited intelligent Yankee discussions, so an on-line community really helps. You deserve payment; I just don’t know how.

70. November 5th, 2009 | 5:15 pm

@ nwyank:Thanks. The best payment is you reading the site on a regular basis! ;-)

Good point about Moose. Every time I think of it, I forget to write about it.

Two rings book-ended Mussina’s Yankees career. Wonder how many other players played for a team for 8 years or longer where the team won a ring the year before he joined and the year after – but not in between? I have to ask Lee Sinins about that.

71. Corey
      November 5th, 2009 | 6:07 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:
      What’s the name of the baseball database that you have? Do you know if you can enter SQL queries into it? If so, that study would take me not even 5 minutes.

72. Corey
      November 5th, 2009 | 6:10 pm

Also if it does direct SQL queries, how much is it? I’d have so much fun with that.

73. YankCrank
      November 5th, 2009 | 9:53 pm

Man…i’m already bored without baseball.

74. JeremyM
      November 5th, 2009 | 10:24 pm

Man, I can’t believe what an asshat Abraham was today. Talk about classless and a completely see-through attempt at trying to cater to his new audience. I was a tad disappointed in Boston Dirt Dogs as well, as I find them amusing from time to time (generally when they’re ragging on their own team of course).

I’d have to rate them pretty similar to everyone else- 96, 09 and 98 tie, 99 and 00 tie. But it’s like choosing your favorite child really!

For those wondering, the complete 2009 World Series releases on December 15th and the Highlights releases on November 24th. I love those videos, especially the 1996 one where they follow a bunch of nutty fans pretty closely and then David Cone’s brother and father. I wish they’d sell a version of the 2009 Series without game 1. Game 5 was a loss of course, but at least there were some positive moments- nothing of the sort in game 1 unless you count luring Philly into a false sense of security :)

Steve, as always, thanks for running this blog! A great crew hangs out here. Let’s all enjoy this one!

75. November 5th, 2009 | 11:28 pm
    76. November 5th, 2009 | 11:28 pm

JeremyM wrote:

A great crew hangs out here. Let’s all enjoy this one!

Ditto – and, I think we are!
      Just look at all the comments in this post.
      Nothing but good vibes today! ;-)