• November 4th Vs. The Phillies

Posted by on November 4th, 2009 · Comments (76)

God, it feels like I’ve been waiting 29 days to exhale.

And…man…it feels great to breathe again!

I’m so happy to see two of my favorite Yankees, Andy Pettitte and Hideki Matsui, have big contributions towards this wonderful win. And, if this has to be Godzilla’s last game as a member of the Yankees, there’s no better high note to exit on…

The 2009 New York Yankees are the World Champions of Major League Baseball!

Hey, give the Philadelphia Phillies some credit. They were the defending champs. They made it back to the World Series this year. And, they pushed it to Game Six before checking out. In the end, they will lament Game Four. But, on the whole, the Phillies did not embarrass themselves in this Fall Classic.

And, now, I’m just going to shut up and allow “the sound of the crowd” to tell the story.

Yankeeland, the comments section of this entry is all yours to enjoy. Go for it, rejoice, and, when you’re done, celebrate a little more. There’s no such as having too much fun – as long as it’s in good taste – after your team has just won a World Championship.

I’m going to take the next 48 hours, or so, off in order to kick back, let this all permeate, and smile a whole helluva lot in the process.

But, before I go, here’s Frank. Play him loud. Play him often. For, in Yankeeland, there’s no better soundtrack to get a ring party started right…

Comments on November 4th Vs. The Phillies

1. MJ
      November 5th, 2009 | 11:43 am

@ Steve Lombardi:
      For me, yeah. Bigger picture, it meant more to me for the Yanks to put a bow on their best season in years than to beat up on a rival that, in the grand scheme of things, is still an expansion team level pile of crap.

Sure it was fun to tease Mets fans but, to me, the 3-peat part of the story was more important than who we were beating. It could’ve been the Braves, Padres or anyone else for me. I just wanted to win that 3rd one in a row.

2. Corey
      November 5th, 2009 | 11:48 am

@ Steve Lombardi:
      To me, yeah. Don’t get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed 1998. But really, hanging out here being able to talk baseball with you guys, really elevated this World Series for me. I had a ton of fun this season. Every other World Series I spent watching alone, with nobody to talk baseball with (Nobody I know in real life is into baseball, for the most part. And certainly not to the same level as I am). It was just that much better to have shared the experience with you, and everyone else here.

Also, I dunno if this is just me, but I enjoy a tough fought world series. In 1998, they pretty much stream rolled through the Padres.

3. MJ
      November 5th, 2009 | 12:02 pm

Corey wrote:

An extremely underrated and excellent point. Part of the joy of being fan now is sitting at home on my computer talking with you guys while the game is going on. I love this blog because I get to talk baseball every single day. I didn’t have that before 2005 which is why this year’s WS was so special.

4. chicken stanley
      November 5th, 2009 | 12:04 pm

Steve,

Love this blog (even when I vehemently disagree), been reading it almost from Day 1, have posted under a variety of usernames with a long lapsed where I could never figure out how to log in on Word Press, but always come back for more of your inimitable curmudgeonliness. Pitchers catchers just around the corner. Let’s keep going!

5. November 5th, 2009 | 12:15 pm

Wow. Again, thanks to all for their kind words left here.
      I do appreciate it all.
      And, I also enjoy being able to share the baseball season with you all.

BTW, I put a feeler out to some of my beat writer and columnist contacts on the Cashman thing.

First one to get back to me said: “Probably just being humble. I’m sure if he wanted to be up there, no one would have kicked him off the stage.”

November 5th, 2009 | 12:20 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

@ Raf:
      @ MJ:
      Guys, really, winning in 2009 was better than beating the Mets in 2000?

Yep. The Mets are of little concern to me, I never really bought into the rivalry of the two organizations. I dunno, maybe it was because I was tired of seeing them in interleague play, and the Mayor’s cup before that. But while I was glad to see the Yanks win that it came at the expense of the Mets didn’t mean much. They’re just another NL team to me.

7. November 5th, 2009 | 12:23 pm

FYI, second response in from one of the contacts on the Cashman MIA thing:

“It’s something he chooses to do. He’s said many times that it’s not really his
      scene. I saw him plenty last night – believe me, he was celebrating.”

8. Corey
      November 5th, 2009 | 12:27 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

FYI, second response in from one of the contacts on the Cashman MIA thing:
      “It’s something he chooses to do. He’s said many times that it’s not really his
      scene. I saw him plenty last night – believe me, he was celebrating.”

That’s for sure, the cameras showed him at various times celebrating with the players. (the Melk man, it seemed, most of all…which surprised me)

9. YankCrank
      November 5th, 2009 | 12:28 pm

Yankees win 114 games, the AL East, the AL and the World Series!

So with nothing to complain about…what do we do now?

10. MJ
      November 5th, 2009 | 12:53 pm

YankCrank wrote:

Yankees win 114 games, the AL East, the AL and the World Series!
      So with nothing to complain about…what do we do now?

The Hot Stove will be here soon enough and the business of baseball will take over. Do we need another starting pitcher or do we need two? Will Andy Pettitte come back? Will the Yanks non-tender Chien Ming Wang? Will the Yanks go after Holliday and/or Bay?

But, to answer your question, we enjoy this! In due time we’ll be back to bickering and debating. For now, we just bask in the glow of being diehard fans of the best ballclub around!

11. November 5th, 2009 | 12:54 pm

More on the Cash thing from another beat contact:

Cashman told me after the ALCS that he’s never really been a part of the podium ceremonies, by his own choosing. I can tell you that he was in the clubhouse postgame and getting doused with champagne several times.

12. MJ
      November 5th, 2009 | 12:54 pm

By the way, a great piece by Bill Rhoden of the NY Times:

Last line says it all!

November 5th, 2009 | 1:00 pm

MJ wrote:

Yep, GM meetings are next week

14. yagottagotomo1
      November 5th, 2009 | 1:04 pm

Soooo……when do pitchers and catchers report?

Seriously, I can’t believe this season is over. I’ve never had more fun following a team in my life, and I can’t believe that we don’t get to watch them anymore. Hopefully 2010 is more of the same.

In regard to the championships, I was 12 in 1996, and I think that is the perfect age to enjoy the sport at a “junior” level, just enjoying the drama and games without overthinking it.

So I probably go:

1996
      2009
      1998 (In a way, it was almost to easy for a 14 year old to really enjoy)
      2000 (beating the Mets was great, but this was not a great season until the ALCS)
      1999

15. MJ
      November 5th, 2009 | 1:25 pm

Just thought of something:

All throughout the year, we heard about how no team had won a World Series with a shortstop as “elderly” as Derek Jeter since Pee Wee Reese back in the ’55 Subway Series.

I guess now we can say that it CAN be done! Congrats to DJ for getting one for his thumb and for putting himself in a position to tie Reese as the only 35 year olds to win a WS…if the Yanks can repeat! 😉

16. Left Coast Mike
      November 5th, 2009 | 2:49 pm

I’ll join in thanking Steve for blogging all these years, well done! My buddy made me a Yankee addict back in ’01 when we went to an A’s game here in the Bay Area during ALDS. So, I’ve not known the feeling of winning a WS until yesterday, and it feels awesome!

17. YankCrank
      November 5th, 2009 | 3:15 pm

World Champs!

18. MJ
      November 5th, 2009 | 3:17 pm

YankCrank wrote:

World Champs!

Say it again!

19. nwyank
      November 5th, 2009 | 4:01 pm

Extremely proud of this team.
      I was wrong about so many things: Girardi could not replace Torre; Arod would never win; team was too old; etc.
      Boy, was I ever wrong! Sorry that Mussina was not part of it, but life cannot be perfect.
      Fantastic site, Steve, and I give you my most sincere thanks. Living on the West Coast means limited intelligent Yankee discussions, so an on-line community really helps. You deserve payment; I just don’t know how.

20. November 5th, 2009 | 5:15 pm

@ nwyank:Thanks. The best payment is you reading the site on a regular basis! 😉

Good point about Moose. Every time I think of it, I forget to write about it.

Two rings book-ended Mussina’s Yankees career. Wonder how many other players played for a team for 8 years or longer where the team won a ring the year before he joined and the year after – but not in between? I have to ask Lee Sinins about that.

21. Corey
      November 5th, 2009 | 6:07 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:
      What’s the name of the baseball database that you have? Do you know if you can enter SQL queries into it? If so, that study would take me not even 5 minutes.

22. Corey
      November 5th, 2009 | 6:10 pm

Also if it does direct SQL queries, how much is it? I’d have so much fun with that.

23. YankCrank
      November 5th, 2009 | 9:53 pm

Man…i’m already bored without baseball.

24. JeremyM
      November 5th, 2009 | 10:24 pm

Man, I can’t believe what an asshat Abraham was today. Talk about classless and a completely see-through attempt at trying to cater to his new audience. I was a tad disappointed in Boston Dirt Dogs as well, as I find them amusing from time to time (generally when they’re ragging on their own team of course).

I’d have to rate them pretty similar to everyone else- 96, 09 and 98 tie, 99 and 00 tie. But it’s like choosing your favorite child really!

For those wondering, the complete 2009 World Series releases on December 15th and the Highlights releases on November 24th. I love those videos, especially the 1996 one where they follow a bunch of nutty fans pretty closely and then David Cone’s brother and father. I wish they’d sell a version of the 2009 Series without game 1. Game 5 was a loss of course, but at least there were some positive moments- nothing of the sort in game 1 unless you count luring Philly into a false sense of security 🙂

Steve, as always, thanks for running this blog! A great crew hangs out here. Let’s all enjoy this one!

25. November 5th, 2009 | 11:28 pm
    26. November 5th, 2009 | 11:28 pm

JeremyM wrote:

A great crew hangs out here. Let’s all enjoy this one!

Ditto – and, I think we are!
      Just look at all the comments in this post.
      Nothing but good vibes today! 😉