• WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 11/4/09 – World Series Game Six Edition

Posted by on November 4th, 2009 · Comments (36)

Click here for more information about this entry.

The eighteen times in Major League history where a team was down 3-2 in the World Series and they have come back to win it all:

Year Team      Opp.
    1946 Cardinals Red Sox
    1940 Reds      Tigers
    1934 Cardinals Tigers
    1926 Cardinals Yankees
    1925 Pirates   Senators
    1924 Senators  Giants

There have been only six times where a team won Games 6 and Game 7 on the road for the title: 1926 Cardinals over Yankees, 1934 Cardinals over Tigers, 1952 Yankees over Dodgers, 1958 Yankees over Braves, 1968 Tigers over Cardinals and the 1979 Pirates over Orioles.

Hopefully, today, the Yankees will stop the Phillies from making these lists of nineteen and seven.

Comments on WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 11/4/09 – World Series Game Six Edition

1. MJ
      November 4th, 2009 | 8:31 am

I’ll be frank, I think the Phillies win in 7.

2. Corey
      November 4th, 2009 | 9:11 am

@ MJ:
      I’ll be Corey, your nuts. Yanks win tonight.

3. MJ
      November 4th, 2009 | 9:26 am

@ Corey:
      Frank’s actually my 2nd cousin. I’ll rephrase:

I’ll be MJ, I think the Phillies win in 7.

4. Corey
      November 4th, 2009 | 9:28 am

@ MJ:
      I don’t care who you are ;) Yanks win Tonight!!

5. November 4th, 2009 | 9:29 am

Shirley, you can’t be serious.

Sorry, just had to say that. I know you are…but…

6. YankCrank
      November 4th, 2009 | 9:54 am

Yanks win tonight.

7. Corey
      November 4th, 2009 | 10:06 am

@ YankCrank:
      Thank you for believing YankCrank, it seems like we along with Evan are the only positive ones round here sometimes lol

8. MJ
      November 4th, 2009 | 10:14 am

@ Corey:
      I try to be positive but I see a lot of problems in the Yanks right now. They’re the one with the starter on short rest, the lineup that stinks right now, the crud bullpen (outside of Mo). I’m not saying the Yanks CAN’T win, I’m just saying that if the Phils won in 7, it wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest.

9. Corey
      November 4th, 2009 | 10:17 am

@ MJ:
      Who do the Phillies have in their pen? Do you really think Pedro goes 9 innings?

10. jrk
      November 4th, 2009 | 10:31 am

@ Corey:
      Agreed. Pedro goes 6, giving up 4 runs, we tack on 3 more off their bullpen, and win 7-5, after Andy gives us 6 innings of 3 run ball (Bullpen gives up 2 in the 7th before Mo saves it in 6 outs).

okay that was pretty specific, but that’s how it came out in my dream last night…

11. jrk
      November 4th, 2009 | 10:33 am

oh…and texeira actually decides to show up tonight…

12. Corey
      November 4th, 2009 | 10:35 am

jrk wrote:

@ Corey:

If I had to predict, I would have predicted something VERY close to this. Personally, I don’t think Girardi gives the pen a chance to give up 2. But the outcome is the same.

13. G.I. Joey
      November 4th, 2009 | 10:36 am

MJ is spot on with what the Yanks problems are and challenges facing them, but Corey is right to point out that the Phillies got problems too. I have to believe that the Yanks are more experienced at overcoming adversity than this Phillies team.

14. MJ
      November 4th, 2009 | 10:45 am

@ Corey:
      I hate to say it but Chan-Ho Park has been brilliant for the Phils. Madson got touched up in Game 5 but before that he was pitching very well and there’s no reason for me to discount him.

It’s not Mo but it’s better than Hughes/Chamberlain.

15. MJ
      November 4th, 2009 | 10:48 am

@ jrk:
      I’m not holding my breath on Teixeira. I’m ready to wish him a good winter and not see his horse-face again until March. His shitty AB’s are driving me nuts.

16. Corey
      November 4th, 2009 | 10:52 am

MJ wrote:

@ Corey:
      It’s not Mo but it’s better than Hughes/Chamberlain.

I’d be happier then a pig in crap if the Yankees get another crack at Chan-Ho Park, tonight.

17. G.I. Joey
      November 4th, 2009 | 11:04 am

Is anyone going tonight?

18. Corey
      November 4th, 2009 | 11:07 am

@ G.I. Joey:
      I wish =/

November 4th, 2009 | 11:14 am

MJ wrote:

It wouldn’t surprise me either, the Phils are a good team.

20. MJ
      November 4th, 2009 | 11:15 am

Corey wrote:

Be careful what you wish for. He’s an old, washed-up scrub that flopped in the AL but he’s reinvented himself in the NL as a reliever and he’s doing a good job. Fangraphs wrote him up the other day.

21. G.I. Joey
      November 4th, 2009 | 11:16 am

You think maybe tonight we brush Utley back a bit? Dude is too comfortable at the plate and I’d like to see a couple whiz right past his dome and possibly put him on his ass.

22. Corey
      November 4th, 2009 | 11:22 am

MJ wrote:

Corey wrote:

Question for you, Who would you rather have on your team right now, Hughes or Chan Ho Park? If you said Hughes, then you know why I’d be happy to see Park in the game.

November 4th, 2009 | 11:22 am

G.I. Joey wrote:

No, they need to stop giving fat pitches to Utley. Give me a fastball down the middle, or a hanging breaking ball, and I’d look comfortable at the plate too.

24. MJ
      November 4th, 2009 | 11:28 am

Corey wrote:

Obviously I’d rather have Hughes for 2010 and beyond. But, right now, I’d take Chan-Ho Park in my bullpen. The guy has been lights out.

Case in point, Hughes was brought in to mop up on Monday night and couldn’t get into the tight game on Sunday night. I like the kid and I love what he did for us in 2009 but there’s no sense arguing that he’s been good in October/November. He’s been horrendous. Forget the name value or the prospect status…results matter and Park has flat-out outpitched Hughes.

25. nwyank
      November 4th, 2009 | 11:32 am

Yanks haven’t homered in 2 games, IIRC. They are due. I just hope there are guys on base when someone hits one out. Pedro often gives up solo homers but can buckle down with guys on base.
      Pettitte? Lord I hope he has enough to keep it close and last 6+.
      Gotta say this has been a very entertaining series. Deep down I think the Yanks are a better team and should win, somehow, someway.

26. MJ
      November 4th, 2009 | 11:32 am

Raf wrote:

No, they need to stop giving fat pitches to Utley.

Agreed. He’s a great hitter and also happens to be locked in at the moment. He’s turning mistakes into homers.

That being said, I don’t advocate pitching around him as others have been calling for. Keep the other hitters down and serve up solo HR’s to Utley all day long as far as I’m concerned. The moment you start pitching around a guy is the moment you start putting runners on, giving the other guys a chance to step up for a big inning. Utley had only hit solo shots until his 3-run homer in the first inning of Game 5. The Yanks had won 3 of the previous 4 games to that point and only lost because they didn’t keep Rollins/Victorino off in front of Utley.

Don’t pitch meatballs to Utley but don’t walk him, either. Howard/Werth/Ibanez are perfectly capable of making the Yanks regret it.

27. Corey
      November 4th, 2009 | 11:36 am

@ MJ:
      I’m currently looking for it, but I heard from a friend that there’s a youtube video of Park blatantly spitting on the ball, and not the same way as Rivera was supposedly spitting on the ball.

28. MJ
      November 4th, 2009 | 11:38 am

Corey wrote:

@ MJ:

Doesn’t change the fact that Hughes has sucked in the playoffs. Park may or may not be cheating but if he is, it’s working for him in a way that has made him unhittable. Unless and until he’s caught and suspended for it, I’ll take the cheating lights-out pitcher over the ineffective guy every time, pedigree and prospect status be damned.

There are only a handful of innings remaining for either man. The hotter hand has my vote.

29. YankCrank
      November 4th, 2009 | 12:30 pm

We’ve scored 9 runs in our last 9.1 innings, despite Tex/Cano/Gardner, and 15 runs in our last two games. Our important arms in the pen are rested, Andy will battle, we’re at our park where it’s hard for any team to beat us.

We’re winning tonight, stop all this nonsense that’s littered all over the site.

Fuel for Pedro? Who to blame if we collapse? Please guys, save all this for if we get to a game 7 and lose it. Stop being so doom and gloom. My Mo, we’re up 3-2.

30. YankCrank
      November 4th, 2009 | 12:32 pm

YankCrank wrote:

That’s the major point. If we lose a game 7, we’ll have all winter to talk about this crap. For now, enjoy our lead and root for them to finish this shiz up tonight :)

31. jrk
      November 4th, 2009 | 2:43 pm

@ YankCrank:
      Amen.

The 4 leftovers from the 90′s dynasty (Jeter, Mo, Pettite, Posada) have all been consistent performers this postseason.
      Does this say something about experience and knowing how to win?
      It always seems as though you know what you’re gunna get outta those 4…

Let’s hope that continues tonight.
      Jete with at least 2 hits
      Posada with a big RBI
      Pettite grinding out a quality start; and
      Mo putting a bow on the 27th…

32. MJ
      November 4th, 2009 | 2:55 pm

@ jrk:
      Good players are consistent because they’re good players. A-Rod has never won before, hence he shouldn’t know how to win and yet, here he is, the best player on the team doing the most for the team’s drive towards #27.

Incidentally, Posada and his head-up-his-ass routine doesn’t know how to win. He just knows how to hit. His defense and baserunning are atrocious and I’m being polite.

33. MJ
      November 4th, 2009 | 4:43 pm

OK peeps, it’s almost 5pm so most of us are getting ready to start heading home (or to bars) to watch what we all hope is the last baseball game of the 2009 season.

It’s been a fun season but it’s already November 4th. Isn’t it about time this gets wrapped up tonight?

Lets go Yankees!

(Yes, I’m trying to overcompensate for how nervous I am).

November 4th, 2009 | 4:43 pm

Lineup posted;

Derek Jeter SS
      Johnny Damon LF
      Mark Teixeira 1B
      Alex Rodriguez 3B
      Hideki Matsui DH
      Jorge Posada C
      Robinson Cano 2B
      Nick Swisher RF
      Brett Gardner CF

35. JeremyM
      November 4th, 2009 | 6:32 pm

Thanks to everyone who has been positive- you guys have been lifesavers as I have been feeling as negative as MJ today, so any ray of sunshine helps! Man, I can’t recall ever being this amped up about a baseball game- it’s ridiculous.

36. redbug
      November 4th, 2009 | 6:47 pm

MJ Says:

(Yes, I’m trying to overcompensate for how nervous I am).

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I hate that the season is just about over but I have to say, it will be a relief to be able to breathe again. I’m watching these games and realize my heart is beating a million times a minute and I’m holding my breath, w/ one eye closed.

Go Yanks and especially Andy!