• The Mussina Curse…Uh…I Mean Record

Posted by on November 10th, 2009 · Comments (18)

Two rings book-ended Mike Mussina’s Yankees career. This got me wondering as to how many others played for a team for 8 years or longer where the team won a World Championship the year before he joined and the year after – but not in between…

I figured that Lee Sinins was the best person to ask about this and here’s what he was able to share:

Mussina does hold the record. The prior record holder was Bill McGee who pitched for the Cardinals from 1935-41. The only others who did it four 5+ years were 4 members of the 1998-2002 Marlins: Preston Wilson, Kevin Millar, Ryan Dempster and Vic Darensbourg.

Something tells me this is a record that Moose is going to hold for a looooong time.

Update, 11/10/09, 3:49 pm ET: Looking it over, I see that Bill McGee was traded by the St. Louis Cardinals to the New York Giants on May 14, 1941. So, he didn’t close the 1941 season with the Cards, and, therefore, he loses that “bookend” connection to their 1942 ring season. So, it appears that, perhaps, Preston Wilson, Kevin Millar, Ryan Dempster and Vic Darensbourg held the record – until Mussina blew it away with his 8-season streak.

Comments on The Mussina Curse…Uh…I Mean Record

1. bfriley76
      November 10th, 2009 | 9:54 am

Though the Yankees didn’t win it the year before his debut, it’s probably worth mentioning Mattingly here, right? Team lost in the WS in 1981 and won the World Series in 1996.

2. MJ
      November 10th, 2009 | 10:27 am

Steve Lombardi wrote:

I’m actually surprised it hasn’t happened more. Seems more like dumb luck and coincidence more than anything which makes me think that it’ll happen again and that Moose may not hold that dubious distinction for long.

3. November 10th, 2009 | 10:46 am

@ MJ:It took 58 years for someone to break the record of 7 years with one team bookended by rings. You really think someone is going to break the record of 8 years with one team bookended by rings in less time than that?

Think about it. If you agree with the theory that it’s harder now to get a ring because of the three-levels of playoffs…and add the fact that it’s somewhat rare for a player to spend 8+ years with one team these days because of free agency and salary dumps, etc., it’s almost a perfect storm that Mussina will own this record for a very, very, long time.

4. jrk
      November 10th, 2009 | 11:26 am

You gotta feel bad for Moose, but I do have to say that he was certainly at peace with his decision to retire (as evidenced by his decision BEFORE the 2008 season), so although this is a weird thing to say, I think Moose can “take it” more than anyone else. Put in another way, I don’t think he’s sitting there “kicking himself” now for not coming back for the ’09 season. Regardless, I wish he got one, but it says something about a guy (whether it’s Moose or Mattingly) when they don’t win one but still have the utmost respect from Yankee fans.

5. MJ
      November 10th, 2009 | 12:19 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

Precicely for that reason, I think it’ll happen again. Until 1969, if you won your league, you were in the World Series. From ’69-’94, they added an LCS. The more layers they add, the harder it becomes to win. Hence, I think it’s more likely that we’ll see teams winning titles split further apart as fewer and fewer dynasties have a chance to form.

The fewer dynasties — and since I think there are only a few teams that could even have a dynasty and the Yanks are on that short list — the greater the likelihood that the Yanks or another team will bookend someone’s career with titles.

6. MJ
      November 10th, 2009 | 12:21 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:
      For all we know, Cliff Lee could stay in Philly for 7 more seasons. Why can’t he be the next Moose? Why can’t Philly win it again in 2017?

7. YankCrank
      November 10th, 2009 | 2:19 pm

Man, i’m not ready to move past 2009 yet. What an incredible season, every good thing that could have happened happened.

Do we have to move to 2010? :(

8. MJ
      November 10th, 2009 | 2:30 pm

YankCrank wrote:

Do we have to move to 2010?

I know what you mean. As it is, my nights are boring right now since my other two teams (Knicks/Giants) both suck ass and are less interesting than baseball anyway.

Having said that, I haven’t moved to 2010 yet. In fact I was thinking about how in 5-6 weeks from now, I’ll have my Blu-ray DVD’s of the 2009 World Series to look forward to!

9. YankCrank
      November 10th, 2009 | 2:44 pm

MJ wrote:

So true.

For the past eight season we’ve been so quick to turn the page on to the next year, point our fingers at who was to blame for the last season not resulting in a championship and debate on whom to sign.

2009 was just too…perfect. All of our FA signings and preseason trades worked perfectly, A-Rod came back better than ever and proved he’s very clutch, we stormed past and embarrassing the Red Sox, all the walk offs, finally got out of the first round, finally got past the Angels, beat the defending Champs and celebrated in our new stadium…how does any year get any better than that?

10. YankCrank
      November 10th, 2009 | 2:45 pm

I guess what i’m trying to say is, i’m still totally in “2009 Appreciation” mode and not “Let’s Repeat in ’10!” mode.

I just don’t see it getting any better than the 114 wins we just witnessed.

November 10th, 2009 | 2:52 pm

Mo picked a fine time to blow a save…

12. MJ
      November 10th, 2009 | 4:04 pm

YankCrank wrote:

I just don’t see it getting any better than the 114 wins we just witnessed.

It was an absolutely incredible year for all the reasons you mentioned. But the beauty of it is that we don’t know how 2010 will play out. Maybe it won’t be as good as 2009 but maybe it’ll be better? ’99 wasn’t as good as ’98 but when it was all said and done, I didn’t mind!

13. MJ
      November 10th, 2009 | 4:07 pm

Raf wrote:

Mo picked a fine time to blow a save…

I know…I remember thinking “this is in the bag” and then all of a sudden it wasn’t. My dad and I didn’t make a sound until the next morning at breakfast. That was the worst Sunday night/Monday morning ever…

14. 77yankees
      November 10th, 2009 | 8:45 pm

Tiki Barber must even be laughing at Mike Mussina.

15. MJ
      November 11th, 2009 | 8:58 am

77yankees wrote:

Tiki Barber must even be laughing at Mike Mussina.

If I were Tiki Barber, I wouldn’t laugh at anyone. A fumbling machine turns into a productive back that quits on his team and then takes pot-shots on the way out. That guy is a loser…and he stinks in his new career as a TV guy too.

Moose was sarcastic and sometimes hard to embrace but he was a great teammate.

16. 77yankees
      November 11th, 2009 | 8:09 pm

The thing that made me lose all respect for Mussina was when he started a Sunday afternoon game in the Skydome a couple years back. The Blue Jays were honoring their long time broadcaster Tom Cheek, who was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor a few weeks earlier.

Supposedly both teams were told the game would start around 2:00 following the ceremony. So the ceremony goes on, and Cheek gives this classy, touching Lou Gehrig type speech how nobody should feel sorry for him, and was so moving you saw people in the crowd on the verge of tears.

So the game starts at 2:15 and Mussina has a 2-1 lead into the 6th, and then gets lit up and loses the game. And he has the nerve to b—h after the game about the ceremony running long. That’s all the convincing I needed that Moose was a world class d–k.

17. November 11th, 2009 | 11:36 pm
    18. 77yankees
      November 12th, 2009 | 9:06 pm

@ Brent:

Thanks Brent….wow, I didn’t know it was that long ago.

But then again, 2004 WAS a long time ago for Yankee fans.