• Changes Coming On Yanks Coaching Staff?

Posted by on November 18th, 2009 · Comments (8)

Via George King yesterday -

No Yankees coach except hitting instructor Kevin Long is signed for next year. And while the general feeling is that the rest of Joe Girardi’s staff is wanted back, none has been offered a contract for 2010.

“We are nowhere,” GM Brian Cashman said when asked where he was at concerning the 2010 staff. “We would love to have all of them back under the proper circumstances.”

Long signed a three-year deal for about $1.125 million before the 2008 season that expires after next year. The contracts of pitching coach Dave Eiland, third base coach Rob Thomson, bench coach Tony Pena, first base coach Mick Kelleher and bullpen coach Mike Harkey have expired.

Losing Tony Pena and Mick Kelleher would hurt – as they proved their value in the roles they had last season.

Mike Harkey is Joe Girardi’s buddy. So, I bet something gets worked out there, in time.

Dave Eiland? Well, that’s an interesting one…and it would not shock me if the Yankees did make a change there.

Comments on Changes Coming On Yanks Coaching Staff?

1. MJ
      November 18th, 2009 | 2:47 pm

I hope the Yanks bring back Tony Pena. If Posada is too hard-headed to take instruction, at least we know Frankie Cervelli will learn from a good coach.

Dunno anything about Mick Kelleher but I have no reason to advocate dumping.

I could easily do without Dave Eiland. I always felt like the Yanks didn’t do enough with Joe Kerrigan while he was here, instead deferring to Mel and Gator too much. Sorry we let him get away.

2. Corey
      November 18th, 2009 | 3:25 pm

There’s no secret with regard to my support for Pena. They need to keep him, IMO.

3. MJ
      November 18th, 2009 | 3:59 pm

Corey wrote:

Agreed.

Frankly, given how well the team did, why tamper with the formula? Unless one of the coaches absolutely deserves to be canned, I’d bring ‘em all back.

4. November 18th, 2009 | 4:09 pm

See: http://www.nytimes.com/1999/11/30/sports/baseball-stanton-stays-cone-s-status-is-still-in-limbo.html

Jose Cardenal resigned after the Yankees refused to give him a raise. This could be that kind of situation again…

5. #15
      November 18th, 2009 | 5:11 pm

You guys don’t negotiate much do you? Cashman is posturing to keep salary expectations in check. He’s let them all know that they are wanted back, but, at the same time, don’t get stupid with salary requests. I think he’s doing the same with Granderson re: Damon/Boras. With the exception of maybe Pena who might get offered a manager’s gig, none of the coaches will do better anywhere else.

6. cr1
      November 18th, 2009 | 6:50 pm

Good to know #15 has inside info about what Cashman has told the staff. If I hadn’t found that out I might have said I’m glad to see it’s not just going to be a rubber stamp job, since I have some doubts about Eiland.

7. redbug
      November 18th, 2009 | 6:53 pm

I hope they replace Eiland. I didn’t like his lack of support to Wang (“I can’t stand behind hin”): his allowing Joba to constantly shake-off Jorge: and, allowing AJ to have Molina as his personal catcher.

8. MJ
      November 19th, 2009 | 8:40 am

redbug wrote:

I hope they replace Eiland. I didn’t like his lack of support to Wang (”I can’t stand behind hin”): his allowing Joba to constantly shake-off Jorge: and, allowing AJ to have Molina as his personal catcher.

Joba is uncoachable. It can’t be Eiland’s fault if Chamberlain doesn’t read the company memo. Whatever happened to a player being accountable for his own shortcomings?

As for the whole Molina-as-personal-catcher thing, what’s the big deal? Posada can’t catch every single game so if Molina’s going to work at least once a week, it might as well be on the day that AJ Burnett was pitching. Seriously, why does it have to be that Molina only catches the 5th starter? After all, if your 5th starter is the guy most likely to need more offensive help to get through a game with the “W”, wouldn’t it make sense to have Posada’s bat in the lineup on those days?

Bottom line, it’s not like Posada’s glove was so sorely missed anyway. Jorge did a good enough job convincing honest, objective baseball observers that he’s a DH at this point and not a starting-caliber catcher from a defensive point of view. The guy is just terrible behind the plate…