• May Day = Ring Day?

Posted by on November 18th, 2009 · Comments (10)

The Yankees are scheduled to play 22 games next April – with 15 of them being on the road. Yikes! There will not be a lot of home cooking in Yankeeland during the first month of next season.

So, maybe May 1, 2010 will be the day the Yankees get their 2009 World Series rings? Seems like a long wait…but, it “may” (if you pardon the pun) make sense…

By the way, the first time that the Red Sox come into Yankee Stadium to play in 2010 is August 6th. That’s nuts! Too bad it’s so late in the season – as it would be nice to repay a deed and have the Red Sox players watch the Yankees players get their rings…

Update: RockyTopYankee and MJ are correct. I missed that two-game series in May where Boston comes to the Bronx. Oh, well, it’s still crazy that the Yankees only host the Red Sox for two games between Opening Day and August 5th.

Comments on May Day = Ring Day?

1. RockyTopYankee
      November 18th, 2009 | 10:23 am

Actually, the Red Sox come to the Stadium for two games May 17-18.

2. MJ
      November 18th, 2009 | 10:31 am

Not true. The Red Sox come to the Bronx for a short two-game series in the middle of the week in May (17th & 18th). They don’t come back to New York again until August.

The Yanks open their home schedule on April 13th vs. the Angels. That’s the most appropriate time to raise the flag and hand out the World Series rings. Why save the ring ceremony for another month?

Although the Yanks aren’t as classless as the Red Sox, it certainly isn’t lost on me that the Angels will get to watch New York raise the flag and get their rings. Especially in light of the ever-arrogant Mike Scioscia’s comments:

Torii Hunter and Mike Scioscia rival Curt Schilling as the biggest Yankee-haters out there. It pleases me that we’ll get to rub it in their faces on 4/13/2010. The best part is that we don’t even have to go out of our way to save the smearing, they just happened to be in town…

3. Corey
      November 18th, 2009 | 10:33 am

MJ wrote:

Especially with all the trash talk Scioscia has been talking, they deserve to watch the ring ceremony just as much as the BoSox.

4. MJ
      November 18th, 2009 | 10:45 am

Corey wrote:

Never ceases to amaze me how other teams/players/managers/owners can talk so much trash against the Yanks and never get called out for being classless. It’s quite infuriating and I can’t imagine the outrage if Joe Girardi said even 10% of what Scioscia was saying on the dinner circuit.

I will try to be at Opening Day so I can cheer Howie Kendrick and Scott Kazmir for their amazing fundamental ability to field bunts. Chump losers, the both of them.

5. YankCrank
      November 18th, 2009 | 11:00 am

I’ll be honest, after the ALCS this year and all the reading I did on Halo Heaven, I may hate Angels fans more than Red Sox fans now.

Sox fans are who they are. In a lot of ways, they’re extremely similar to Yankee fans now. Assholes with a strong sense of self-entitlement. Be honest, that’s 90% of Yankee and Sox fans now.

Angels fans are just whiny, bitchy a-holes who blame every loss or break that doesn’t go there way as some giant conspiracy against the Angels. They were up in arms over a giant conspiracy theory with Rivera’s “spitball,” and they continue to preach that the better team didn’t win, only the umpires were there to win it for the Yankees in the ALCS. It was never that the Angels weren’t good enough, only it was a pre-disposed decision that the Yankees were going to win and MLB made sure of that.

Pompous, delirious d-bags. I hate them all. So yes, bring the rings, banner and everything out that we can rub in their faces on April 13.

6. yagottagotomo1
      November 18th, 2009 | 11:34 am

“Oh, well, it’s still crazy that the Yankees only host the Red Sox for two games between Opening Day and August 5th.”

Not agreeing or disagreeing, just noting that it was the same thing this season- two home games vs. Boston prior to Aug. 6th.

7. MJ
      November 18th, 2009 | 11:38 am

YankCrank wrote:

I definitely hate the Angels and their fans as much as I hate the Red Sox and their fans. I didn’t read any of their blogs or listen to any of their pathetic conspiracy theories; my hatred simply comes from how arrogant this team always is. Now, they had a definite reason to be arrogant considering how much they owned us. But now that’s all in the past. We beat them 3 out of 4 in September and then took them down in the ALCS. At this point I think the Yanks can feel like the Angels no longer have their number.

That they’re still chirping tells me that it’s time for us to dominate them and bury them the way we’ve owned and buried the Twins.

Finally, here’s what never made sense about an MLB conspiracy against the Angels: if baseball truly wanted to steer the results of a series, wouldn’t they have taken the Angels out in the ALDS? Certainly an ALCS of NYY-BOS would be more favorable than the NYY-LAA matchup we got. Why would Bud Selig let them get past Boston only to pull the rug out from under them against New York? Illogical when you consider that the Red Sox have a far greater national following than Anaheim and Fox would’ve salivated over a 2003-2004 rematch.

8. MJ
      November 18th, 2009 | 11:40 am

yagottagotomo1 wrote:

True. I can’t figure out how they do the schedule or why they think this is the way to go. It sucks for the Yanks to have 6 games at Fenway before we even get 2 here in NY but then we get 9 in a row at home before Boston gets their last 3 at home.

Idiotic scheduling every year from Bud Selig & Co.

9. RockyTopYankee
      November 18th, 2009 | 12:57 pm

I’m trying to figure out the scheduling pattern to the interleague games – Yankees play the Astros, Dodgers, D-Backs, Phillies, and Mets. Aside from the Mets, I thought they would rotate through each NL division every year? So why would the Astros and Phillies (WS rematch?) be mixed in with 2 NL West teams?

10. MJ
      November 18th, 2009 | 2:45 pm

RockyTopYankee wrote:

Good question, especially when you consider that the Red Sox actually play 4 of the 5 NL West teams (SF/CO on road, LA/AZ at home). Odd that we only play 2 of the 5 NL West teams and instead add the Phillies and Astros to the mix. Especially curious to be adding the Phillies considering we played them in interleague just last year.