• No Discount For Yanks On Damon

Posted by on November 23rd, 2009 · Comments (9)

Via Mark Feinsand -

The Yankees are still in the process of finalizing their payroll for 2010, as GM Brian Cashman has been engaged in talks with the team’s ownership in recent days. Retaining both Damon and Andy Pettitte appear to be two of the team’s primary goals, though neither has been presented with an offer as of yesterday.

“This is a slow time in baseball; just a lot of rumblings and all that stuff,” said Damon, who is heading on a European vacation with his wife, Michelle, later this week. “I’m sure well be talking to them soon. We’d like to come back to New York. Hopefully it can happen.”

Damon’s preference is to remain with the Yankees, and while he has made that wish well-known, sources close to the veteran say he isn’t about to give the Bombers a big discount to stay in pinstripes.

Although he’s told friends all season that he would take a shorter deal from the Yankees than he would elsewhere, it is believed that he would want a higher average annual salary if he were to take fewer years.

A source close to Damon said that the outfielder believes his statistics over the past two years have been good enough that unless the market crumbles entirely like it did last winter for Bobby Abreu, he doesn’t feel he should take a pay cut.

If Damon wants $28 million or more over two years to stay in New York, I think the Yankees should call his bluff – given his age. And, if Damon can get $39 million or more over three years somewhere outside of the Bronx, then, you just tip your cap and wish him well.

Don’t get me wrong…I think Johnny Damon is a very valuable player – and a big part of the Yankees offense and clubhouse harmony. But, at $14 million a season, that’s crazy…

Comments on No Discount For Yanks On Damon

1. YankCrank
      November 23rd, 2009 | 1:24 pm

Johnny will hold out and go where he gets the most money. I’m sure you all know this, but don’t be fooled by the man who said this after the 2005 season:

“There’s no way I can go play for the Yankees, but I know they will come after me hard. It’s definitely not the most important thing to go out there for top dollar, which the Yankees are going to offer me. It’s not what I need.”

I will always love Johnny Damon for playing a big part in delivering us a ring in 2009, but he’s simply not worth overpaying at this point. Steve is right, he certainly does have value and for the right price i’d love to see him back. But if the right price can’t be had…move on, even if it means taking a hit in LF for one year.

2. redbug
      November 23rd, 2009 | 6:14 pm

I’d pay Damon $14 mill a yr for 2 yr’s. It’s only money and the Yanks have plenty.

Except for his arm (which I acknowledge is a big except), Damon is great leading off or 2nd, great average, power, baserunning.

The Yanks might need him only one yr as an every day outfielder (assuming Jackson is ready in ’11) but I don’t see anyone better for next yr.

November 23rd, 2009 | 6:47 pm

Yeah, the Yanks are in the driver’s seat. If Damon signs elsewhere, it’s not like the Yanks are going to go with 8 players on the field. Someone else will be signed, or the Yanks will trade for someone to play there.

4. Corey
      November 23rd, 2009 | 6:49 pm

I can’t wait to say, seeya later Damon! Gimmie them draft picks! It’ll certainly be nice to be the recipient of draft picks in a free agents signing for once.

5. Corey
      November 23rd, 2009 | 6:52 pm

I think, also, that the Yankees expected that Damon would sign elsewhere after this year, and that’s why they tried Jeter out hitting lead off. For the Yanks, it’s a lot easier to replace a 2-hole hitter than it is a lead-off hitter (Cano, Swisher).

6. JeremyM
      November 23rd, 2009 | 8:40 pm

YankCrank, to be fair he said those comments during the season, not after filing for free agency. And I think the Red Sox probably took those comments for granted and that’s why he ended up walking. I think if they had made it clear they wanted him he would’ve taken a discount to return, but I’m glad they didn’t and thus he didn’t.

7. JeremyM
      November 23rd, 2009 | 8:41 pm

Corey, Jeter has hit in the leadoff spot quite a bit during his career. I think they did it because it was the best move for the team during the season.

8. YankCrank
      November 23rd, 2009 | 9:37 pm

@ JeremyM:

The Sox gave Johnny a 4 year, $40 million offer less than two weeks before he agreed to the Yankees 4 year, $52 million deal.

Johnny had every opportunity to take less money to stay in Boston if those were his true intentions. Clearly, they were not. If Johnny was willing to jump ship from Boston after winning a WS and becoming the most popular man in the city because another team offered more money, he’ll most likely be willing to do the same thing to New York.

Once again, as MJ says, let’s remember our history. Johnny did this before, if given the opportunity he’ll do it again.

9. YankCrank
      November 23rd, 2009 | 9:57 pm

@ JeremyM:

FTR, I love Johnny and think he has every right to take top dollar and top offer, regardless of which team. Every player has that right.

All i’m saying is I won’t be surprised if history repeats itself.