• November 2009 Survey Question #4

Posted by on November 25th, 2009 · Comments (8)

Please consider taking the following poll:

{democracy:84}

Thanks in advance. And, please feel free to add comments on your opinion in the comments section below.

Comments on November 2009 Survey Question #4

1. Tresh Fan
      November 25th, 2009 | 12:36 am

Just a reminder: Following the 2010 season Jeter will have 2,900+ hits.

2. YankCrank
      November 25th, 2009 | 9:27 am

I don’t even know how to answer this question.

With his pride, I don’t see him accepting anything less than what A-Rod makes a year. This could get ugly.

3. November 25th, 2009 | 10:02 am

FWIW, this is how I came to 4 years and $84 million -

He’s making 18 mill now and will not accept a paycut.
      He won’t make the insane money that Hank gave A-Rod.
      But, he’ll want to be close to what CC and Tex make – which is 23 mill.
      So, I took 19 mill (more than what he makes now) and the 23 mill max and split the difference at $21 million.

I then figured that he’ll want a contract that will keep him in NY as long as A-Rod’s contract will…but factored in that Jeter is older…and then considered that Posada got a 4-year deal when his contract was up…and figured that a 4 year deal made sense…

and 4 x $21 mill = $84 million

but, for all we know, maybe Jeter wants $23 million a year for 5 years? In any event, I would be shocked if he took less than $21 million a season – for any amount of years.

4. Corey
      November 25th, 2009 | 10:13 am

I’m afraid the Yankees will play hard-ball with Jeter, like they did with Andy last season, and it ends up being a PR nightmare. I like Jeter, don’t get me wrong, but he’s not going to be worth an 84/4 contract extension over the duration.

November 25th, 2009 | 11:30 am

Corey wrote:

I don’t think that will happen. The negotiations will probably go similar to Posada’s and Rivera’s contract negotiations.

6. mondoas
      November 26th, 2009 | 1:52 am

@ Corey:
      There is no way the Yankees will play hardball with Jeter. He is royalty and if the “Peasants” even consider making Jeter look less than he is then there will be bedlam in the Bronx! People will be looting all over the place and riots would be everywhere. He is DEREK JETER!

7. January 2nd, 2010 | 10:49 pm

[...] Derek Jeter gets his $20-something million a year contract once his current deal is up, very soon the Yankees will have four players at $20+ million [...]

8. February 15th, 2010 | 12:02 am

[...] 12 weeks ago, I took a stab at guessing the next price tab for Jeter. And, I agree with Bob here – in that I think Jeter [...]