• December 2009 Survey Question #1

Posted by on December 9th, 2009 · Comments (14)

Please consider taking the following poll:

{democracy:85}

Thanks in advance. And, please feel free to add comments on your opinion in the comments section below.

Comments on December 2009 Survey Question #1

1. clintfsu813
      December 9th, 2009 | 9:52 am

Ask me again in August, lol

2. K-V-C
      December 9th, 2009 | 10:40 am

Everyone should be pleased. The Yanks traded 60 innings of 4.50 era from Coke for Granderson. A.Jax is a complete unknown, and IPK has started 12 games in 3 seasons. I’ve also read that the Yanks worry about Cokes fitness and IPK seems to have an Ego problem.

Anyone not pleased will be because of A.Jax, but come on who was the last highly touted Yankee prospect to make it big in the majors?

3. clintfsu813
      December 9th, 2009 | 11:45 am

How touted was Cano or Wang?

4. butchie22
      December 9th, 2009 | 12:43 pm

K-V-C wrote:

I love all the revisionism on Ajax I’ve seen/heard on talk radio and the Yankee boards. Two days ago he was the second coming NOW he’s just another unknown in terms of what he will be. Talk about being fickle……..

clintfsu813 wrote:

How touted was Cano or Wang?

Our Man in Tallahassee, the D-Backs wouldn’t take Wanger or Robinson Cannot in a trade for Randy “The Rube” Johnson . Very interesting to see what happened to those two prospects BTW! Clint, like you I’ll wait and see. I like Curtis Granderson AKA Mr Media Savvy quite a bit BUT at this cost? If they make yet another trade do they want the team to become like the Mets in a few years with a truly middling system??!!!

5. YankCrank
      December 9th, 2009 | 12:52 pm

butchie22 wrote:

I like Curtis Granderson AKA Mr Media Savvy quite a bit BUT at this cost?

That’s why this trade isn’t a big deal, it came at basically no cost butch.

1. Coke is a replaceable reliever who was surpassed by Dunn and Marte.

2. IPK is a back-end guy better suited out of the AL East. Former prospect who is way down the Yanks depth chart…expendable.

3. AJax was never the second coming of anything, idk where you get that from. Maybe you heard that from some sensationalized writer but AJax is a very athletic, young outfielder who isn’t fully developed and isn’t exceptional at anything.

This was essentially a swap of an unproven outfielder for a proven outfielder who is still young, in his prime and by Yankees terms, cheap. He’s anywhere from a 3-7 WAR player who will replace a 1 WAR player in CF and that’s really, really good for the Yanks.

6. Corey
      December 9th, 2009 | 12:53 pm

YankCrank wrote:

3. AJax was never the second coming of anything, idk where you get that from.

How do you know? We’ve never seen him play over the course of a season.. I think we should play a wait and see game on Jackson, no?

7. YankCrank
      December 9th, 2009 | 1:02 pm

Corey wrote:

YankCrank wrote:

3. AJax was never the second coming of anything, idk where you get that from.

I was refering to his scouting reports.

I never said he wouldn’t amount to anything, all I said was in his scouting reports nobody was saying he’s a “can’t miss,” or “the next Mickey Mantle.” By every scouting report I read, he’s a very talented, athletic kid with a ton of potential who still has developing to do.

Saying that, of course we wait to see what he is. But we didn’t trade a “can’t-miss talent” for Curtis Granderson. We traded a kid with a lot of potential for a proven CFer.

8. Corey
      December 9th, 2009 | 1:10 pm

@ YankCrank:
      I’m just saying 1 has to remember that victor of a trade may not be determined till a year or 2(or sometimes more) after the fact. Till then, it’s all a matter of opinion.

9. Evan3457
      December 9th, 2009 | 1:22 pm

I look at it this way:

1. If 2007 Curtis shows up, the trade is a slaughter in the Yanks favor.
      2. If 2009 Curtis shows up, the trade is about a push short-term, and a likely loser for the Yanks, long-term.
      3. If 2008 Curtis shows up, the trade is a solid win from the Yanks’ perspective, in that they consolidated value by combining three players who would not have helped them as much as Granderson would, certainly not in 2009, and possibly not ever.

At a wild-ass guess, I rate the probability of 2. or worse at no more than 10%, the probability of 1. or better at perhaps a little more than 10%, leaving scenario 3 at roughly 75%.

10. butchie22
      December 9th, 2009 | 1:57 pm

YankCrank wrote:

butchie22 wrote:
      I like Curtis Granderson AKA Mr Media Savvy quite a bit BUT at this cost?
      That’s why this trade isn’t a big deal, it came at basically no cost butch.
      1. Coke is a replaceable reliever who was surpassed by Dunn and Marte.

Please Crank, the way Yankee fans used to act like he (AJAX) was going to come in an be a part of the team as a potential star, let’s not be revisionist. OK? No offense meant BUT the way people hyped this guy he was Mickey Rivers plus Bernie Williams on crack sideways ! Ajax was supposed to be so enticing to the Jays etc so on….whatta bunch of bull.
      YankCrank wrote:

Corey wrote:
      YankCrank wrote:
      3. AJax was never the second coming of anything, idk where you get that from.
      I was refering to his scouting reports.

Even still , I don’t understand your transformation from being relieved in the morning to being elated in the afternoon that occured yesterday!!??:) CG can’t hit lefties, he’s been iffy in the field and his OBP was in the low ,300s. As much as I “like him”, I didn’t like him for that package. and contrary to what most people in the press feel, the D-Backs and Tigers did decently in this trade.

Evan3457 wrote:

I look at it this way:
      1. If 2007 Curtis shows up, the trade is a slaughter in the Yanks favor.

Evan ,much as I had said about Swisher Sweet ,he won’t be as bad as he was BUT he won’t be as great as he once was. To use your terminology, it’s a wild ass guess BUT heck that’s why it’s called exactly that!

December 9th, 2009 | 2:13 pm

Corey wrote:

Sure, but even if we don’t see him play, we have a minor league track record to go on.

12. butchie22
      December 9th, 2009 | 2:33 pm

Here’s some wonderful hype about AJAX from the soon to be imperiled Yankee Universe from Oct 15,2009:

BA GIVES A-JAX PROPS

Baseball America has named Austin Jackson the 7th best International League prospect in the game (the list features the top-20 IL prospects). The only other position players listed before him were Matt Wieters and Andrew McCutchen, which speaks volumes about Jackson’s talent (he’s rated higher than Cleveland’s Matt LaPorta, as well). That’s another big honor for the Yankees’ young outfielder.

This was someone who was considered to be a chump??!! I love how this kid went from a brilliant prospect to no power and projecting to being a nice player…..

13. YankCrank
      December 9th, 2009 | 2:57 pm

Corey wrote:

@ YankCrank:

I think we’re arguing separate things so let’s just leave it at that. With that in mind, I do agree with you on what you’re saying. There’s no final verdict on a trade until years down the line, so calling a winner to this deal would be premature.

14. YankCrank
      December 9th, 2009 | 3:05 pm

butchie22 wrote:

I also think our argument has reached a plateau. It’s ok for you to have doubts about Granderson because, in no way is he a perfect player. He’s a very good player.

It’s also ok for you to fall in love with Yankee prospects, don’t we all? So nothing will sway your opinion that the Yankees “gave up too much” to acquire an All-Star CF. But don’t be fooled by the BA quote. AJax is a very talented player, and where a lot of people (like the BA writer) saw great things, a lot of baseball people saw mediocre things as well. Keith Law wrote this, and i’ve read this in many others places before…

“Jackson is a good-but-not-great athlete. He’s an above-average runner, but not a burner; he’s wiry, but the power that has been projected has yet to materialize. His game played up in the low minors because he controlled the strike zone well for a young, inexperienced hitter. His plate discipline has gotten worse as he’s risen the ladder, and he may need a few years in the majors before he’ll post acceptable OBPs. But he can handle center field defensively and should produce enough at the plate to be an asset even in 2010, during which he’d earn the minimum salary.”

I never said he was a “chump,” and I always liked Jackson. I always thought he’d have a chance to make it in New York and I wish him the best of luck. We differ on how things played out with him so let’s just wish AJax luck together and wish Granderson the best of luck in pinstripes, cool?