• Braves Sign Eric Duncan

Posted by on December 13th, 2009 · Comments (7)

Chad Jennings has the story.

What the Braves see here…well…I dunno?

He’s a nice kid…so, I wish him well. But, clearly, Duncan was one of the worst Yankees draft picks of the 2000′s…right up there with David Parrish, Jon Skaggs, Bronson Sardinha, John-Ford Griffin, Jeffrey Marquez, Jonathan Poterson and Carl Henry. And, perhaps, someday, we’ll be adding Ian Kennedy, Andrew Brackman and Jeremy Bleich to this list as well. And, of course, there was the whole swing and a miss on Gerrit Cole…

Geez, the first round of the draft has not been kind to the Yankees front office in the 2000′s, has it(?) – sans Hughes and Chamberlain so far…and they’ve yet to become stars, for what it’s worth.

Comments on Braves Sign Eric Duncan

1. yanksofny
      December 13th, 2009 | 10:37 am

What the Braves see here…well…I dunno?

can’t a team not sign a guy just to provide depth or serve as a minor league roster filler?

2. Corey
      December 13th, 2009 | 11:59 am

Jeffrey Marquez got us Swisher, so I can live with that. Ian Kennedy got us Granderson, and I can also live with that.

3. December 13th, 2009 | 1:32 pm

what have you got against Jeremy Bleich? I’ve seen him pitch, he looks pretty good. He has nice command and movement of his pitches.

4. Scout
      December 13th, 2009 | 2:39 pm

Although the jury is still out on Bleich, a WHIP of 1.82 at Trenton in 65 innings in 2009 has a certain unpleasant aroma about it, the smell of a pending high round draft bust.

5. Evan3457
      December 14th, 2009 | 3:42 am

Scout wrote:

22 in AA is not excessively old; 1st full year in professional ball. I wouldn’t give up the ship on Bleich just yet.

6. Evan3457
      December 14th, 2009 | 3:55 am

Ian Kennedy?
      I think he has a reasonably successful major league career in the back of the D-back rotation, or some other NL team.

As for the Yankee track record with 1st round picks…I’ll bet it’s not all that bad considering where they drafted in the 1st round.

7. Corey
      December 14th, 2009 | 9:13 am

Scout wrote:

He had just gotten promoted at the end of his first professional season to AA. His start to that year was pretty impressive, so can we give the guy an adjustment period before writing him off a bust? Let the man enter his 2nd full professional season for God’s sakes before he gets tarred and feathered.

I agree with Rob, I’ve seen him pitch too. He does look good. Have the guys who are calling him a bust?