• Lackey To Red Sox?

    Posted by on December 14th, 2009 · Comments (10)

    Source.

    Hmmm…just another reason to rag on the guy, I suppose.

    Comments on Lackey To Red Sox?

    1. clintfsu813
      December 14th, 2009 | 1:42 pm

      Guess they’re out on Doc, huh?

    2. Scout
      December 14th, 2009 | 1:51 pm

      Well, looks like Theo and co. decided that trying to look like geniuses by signing Smoltz and similar bargain basement types really is not a high probability way to strengthen the rotation. They have now decided to try it the Yankees way.

      Although this puts the Sox out of the Halladay bidding, the Angels will likely up their offer to Toronto. Let the pitching musical chairs continue….

    3. YankCrank
      December 14th, 2009 | 1:57 pm

      Scout wrote:

      Well, looks like Theo and co. decided that trying to look like geniuses by signing Smoltz and similar bargain basement types really is not a high probability way to strengthen the rotation. They have now decided to try it the Yankees way.

      Although this puts the Sox out of the Halladay bidding, the Angels will likely up their offer to Toronto. Let the pitching musical chairs continue….

      I’m fine with this. You knew the Sox were going to make a couple big moves and this is one of them. As Yankee fans we shouldn’t be so reactionary to this. They have a lot of money and a lot of resources, we knew they’d be a better team in ’10.

      Nice little rotation they have going on, certainly makes Buccholz expendable. Maybe he gets flipped with others for an Adrian Gonzalez, or maybe for Halladay as well for a mega-rotation? Who knows, they can still do a lot.

      Shame on anybody who thought the Sox would do nothing.

    4. YankCrank
      December 14th, 2009 | 1:58 pm

      clintfsu813 wrote:

      Guess they’re out on Doc, huh?

      Can’t say that for sure.

    5. butchie22
      December 14th, 2009 | 2:04 pm

      Funny about Lackey,though. I’m very contempuos of pure sabremetricians (because scouting and stats go hand in hand I believe) BUT Lackey pitches to over a 5 ERA at Fenway. I made a point about why the Sox wouldn’t go after Santana because of his insanely high ERA at Fenway and now Theo and CO are reinventing the wheel. are they surmising that he pitches badly at Fenway because he is on the opposing team intimidated by the riotous hordes at Fenway ? Interesting…. With Lackey, they would give up the draft pick as opposed to giving up MLB ready talent for Halladay. I get that, because there are insane Yankee fans who would be willing to give up Joba, Hughes, Montero, Cervelli etc so on to get Doc. NO THANKS ! The Yanks still need some youth,they can’t give up every young player for an older pitcher (albeit a still dominant one BUT his contract would be for too many years). That being said, I can’t see Anthopoulos trading Doc to the Yanks UNLESS Toronto absolutely rapes/fleeces the Yanks. Either way the Jays GM would have to walk around Toronto with a bulletproof jacket and armed guards for the rest of his tenure EVEN if he got back a king’s ransom from the Yanks…….

      I think this intensifies the Angels ‘ discussions for Doc AND for the Phils as well. Either one of those teams desperately (especially the Angels just to remain at their level best) needs him to win it all. I would not be surprised if the Yanks get involved to push up the price BUT still see either the Orange County Devils or the Philthy Animals getting ahold of him in the end. there is great pressure in Toronto to not trade him within the division so I can’t see him in a Rays, Yanks or Sox uniform..

      Oh those poor Los Metropolitanos. Not only the fact that they don’t get Lackey ,they also can’t get Doc. According to what I’ve read, he’ll not approve a trade to Los Mets. Add to the fact they are not annual contenders and they have a garbage filled system , they’ll lose out. Those poor fans will be saddled yet another shitty team to watch at Shitti Field this year! :)

    6. butchie22
      December 14th, 2009 | 2:14 pm

      YankCrank wrote:

      clintfsu813 wrote:
      Guess they’re out on Doc, huh?
      Can’t say that for sure.

      Crank, I think they go with Agon now……that’s what the rumors have been. And Jed Hoyer is Theo’s boy, so I wouldn’t count that out. But as I keep saying about trading Halladay in division, did you see what Toronto rejected this summer from Boston? The Toronto ownership (the Rogers, the Cablevision and the Verizon of Canada ) doesn’t want the bad press by sending him there. As with the Yanks, they would have to hurt the Red Sox team (by extracting a veritable litter of their best prospects ) to trade him there. I don’t see that happening now with the Lackey signing.

      The Sox need to shore up their offense this year with losing Lowell , possibly Bay and maybe an even more elongated power outage from Big Flappi…..I see them trading for AGon, the Doc situation is more than likely dead at this bloody point.

    7. Corey
      December 14th, 2009 | 2:19 pm

      ZOMG SOX R BUYING A CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!111

    8. butchie22
      December 14th, 2009 | 3:06 pm

      Corey wrote:

      ZOMG SOX R BUYING A CHAMPIONSHIP!!!!111

      You say that with a bit of understatement,mate. Can you pump it up a notch?:) That was very Sterlingesque, I wonder if JS will ever make that exclamation on air to Susan?

    9. butchie22
      December 14th, 2009 | 4:50 pm

      I love hearing all the Mets fans call up and lament the loss of Lackey and Halladay. MIke Francesa did a horrible job in his boosting Los Mets to obtain Halladay. THEY NEVER HAD A PHUCKING CHANCE IN HELL TO OBTAIN HIS SERVICES! He gave some bullshit story about them asking for Reyes…whatta bag of BS. The Jays wanted young cost controlled players of which Reyes was not. Los Mets didn’t even have the pieces to get him either whatta joke they are. I’m glad that that Howeird Stern wannabe ,Craig Cartoon used to rip him now. He gave the hopeless Los Metropolitanos faithful some hope and makes the idiotic Omar ,his mate, an even bigger moron than he actually is.

      As for Lackey, another joke. as spendthrift was the Yankees are , they certainly don’t go for the runt of the litter. Los Mets needed pitching first…what do the dunderheads do? They make JBay a semi-bogus offer. The guy can’t catch a cold in the outfield and they want him back in their organization!

    10. Raf
      December 14th, 2009 | 5:04 pm

      Halliday to Philly
      Lee to M’s
      Prospects to Toronto.

      Seattle & Philly gets stronger, Toronto gets relief and assistance with their rebuilding program, and Seattle will get draft picks if/when Lee walks.

      Good deal all around.

    Leave a reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.