• Yanks Will Not Get Doc Halladay

Posted by on December 14th, 2009 · Comments (25)

Via Jon Heyman

The Phillies are in agreement on a three-team trade with the Mariners and Blue Jays to acquire star pitcher Roy Halladay, SI.com has learned. All indications are that Cliff Lee will likely be heading from Philadelphia to Seattle in the trade.

Sources say Halladay will agree to a contract extension to complete the deal. It’s expected to be a formality, and though terms are not yet clear, it’s expected to be worked out in the next couple days. Halladay wanted to be in Philadelphia, as the Phillies train in Clearwater, Fla., not far from his offseason home.

The Phillies are giving up prospects to Toronto to get Halladay, but it isn’t known yet which players are in the deal. Philadelphia, which would also get prospects from Seattle, is trying to keep its payroll at around $140 million.

The deal is not expected to be finalized today due to its complexity.

The Mariners have been looking for an ace, and all signs point to Lee winding up in Seattle. One loser here is the Angels, who were interested in both Lackey and Halladay and missed out on both of them, with Lackey closing in on a deal with the Red Sox.

I wonder if anyone in Yankeeland will pull a Frasier Crane (yelling at Diane Chambers) and tell Brian Cashman that he will “Rue the day!” that Roy Halladay was traded and it wasn’t to the Yankees?

Wait a minute…I think I just did!

Comments on Yanks Will Not Get Doc Halladay

1. Evan3457
      December 14th, 2009 | 5:09 pm

It looks like the Phillies gave up Cliff Lee for him.

Maybe Cashman should’ve offered Sabathia to the Mariners?

2. YankCrank
      December 14th, 2009 | 5:13 pm

Finally, the “Roy Halladay to the Yankees” talk can be put to bed. Now we can talk about more important things, other than paying twice for a man who will be pitching his declining years from here-on-out.

3. butchie22
      December 14th, 2009 | 5:15 pm

Doc was never coming to the Yankees to begin with. The 50 people that go to Blow Jays games would have jumped ship and gone to Maple Leafs games instead! The Yankee/Red Sox hatred is so thick up there they could never give up their most beloved player to Evil Empire and his little brother, Evil Empire Part Deux.Philly and the Jays were the perfect fit for this trade (it was smart to get Seattle involved). The Phils get a bonafide 1 who can go games 1,3,7 in a playoff series unlike that wimp, Lee , who never did it before..Seattle has a really good 1-2 punch in Queen Felix and Cliff ” 4 Day Rest” Lee. Judging from the prospects that the Jays are rumored to have gotten, they did OK as well.

4. December 14th, 2009 | 5:16 pm

@ Evan3457:

All I know is that, today, Cliff Lee, Roy Halladay and John Lackey all found new teams and none of them are going to the Yankees.

Think about that in 2010 when Burnett’s on the DL, Pettitte is showing his age, and Joba and Huges are struggling as starters. ;-)

5. Scout
      December 14th, 2009 | 5:20 pm

Going into the off-season, I thought the Yankees should be pursuing a real #2 starter; like Steve, I see Burnett as a #3. I thought Lackey made more sense than Halladay, who is the better pitcher but older and far more expensive. I assume the Yankees are serious about their budget constraints, and I am not in a position to know otherwise. What remains, then, is a move for a high-upside, high-risk starter such as Sheets. (Unless the Yankees decide to bludgeon the opposition into surrendering by adding Holiday to the outfield.)

6. December 14th, 2009 | 5:20 pm

Not being the in room for the negotiations, and without seeing the cards the Phillies (and Mariners) are sending to Toronto, I’d have to say its likely that Cashman and the front office did not have the firepower to consummate this deal.

Let’s just say, for the sake of argument, the Philly-Seattle end of the deal looks sort of like this:

Lee for Carlos Triunfel, Phillipe Aumont and Greg Halman.

Now add all or most of those guys to some pieces like Kyle Drabek, Michael Taylor and Scott Mathieson to get Halladay.

Seems like an awful, awful lot to hand over, on top of the cash to pay him. I don’t think you empty out the farm system for a 33-year-old pitcher (Even one who is great and has a spotless medical report.).

7. GDH
      December 14th, 2009 | 5:29 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:
      Easy big guy. We all thought that Theo was brilliant with his reclamation projects from last year and we were stupid spending like we did. Then -oops, no one pricey got hurt and we ended up the brilliant champs.

None of this matters to the NYY except Lackey to the Sox. I’ll wager that they gave him too much money and too many years. Plus he sucks at Fenway, and against the Rays. A big giant Meh, much like Burnett signing was for us. It’s brilliant unless he sucks, gets hurt, or gets old early. So what’s new – they signed him because they had to and he was the only one out there. We didn’t have to, and I’m glad we didn’t.

They’ll definitely make a play for Gonzalez now, which they should if they’re smart. We should sign Damon and add a decent 4th starter, like Ducshererer, who happens to pitch well against the Sox. Then let’s play.

8. #15
      December 14th, 2009 | 5:29 pm

Sadly, as it stands right now, we are just another solid playoff contender… with a hole at DH and a questionable 2/5′s of a rotation. We were so close, with either Lackey or Doc, of putting on a run like the Yankees of 36-39 or 49-53 (okay, maybe 5 years in a row is impossible) or 98-2000. We can still win a series or two in the next 2-4 years, but we are not set up to be a dominant team with the question marks in the rotation after CC.

9. GDH
      December 14th, 2009 | 5:32 pm

And Butchie is dead right that Doc was never, ever, coming to the Yankees, or the Sox for that matter. I’d be surprised if the M’s can hold onto Felix and Cliff Lee for more that a year – that should be interesting.

10. butchie22
      December 14th, 2009 | 5:33 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

It looks like the Phillies gave up Cliff Lee for him.
      Maybe Cashman should’ve offered Sabathia to the Mariners?

The Mariners weren’t going to take 23 million dollars of salary a year. Lee only makes 10 million a year then he’s a free agent after this season. No offense was that a serious suggestion , mate ?

YankCrank wrote:

Crank, Doc is perfect for the NL and for the Phils. The Yanks wanted his lesser twin devil of deception when they acquired him last year and that was that. The Yanks were never really in the mix to begin with. When Toronto rejected that insane Boston offer during the summer, one knew they didn’t want to hand over their “Don Mattingly” to such a despised rival .

Steve Lombardi wrote:

@ Evan3457:

Stev, I’m glad you added a wink .I was worried there for a second. I remember a tall tale that Steve Sommers told once about the Yankees. He announced that the Yanks had bought evey player so that there was no reason to play the World Series BECAUSE the Yankees would win automatically absent any other teams to play against! I recently saw Frank Isola on Loudmouths(SNY plug,there) who is a Yanke fan and stated that: the Yankees can’t have every player in reference to Doc. Look the Yankees might have pitching problems this year BUT how much is too much? It’s not like they cut payroll to 125 million this year ! all I can say is that if the Yanks have a need they will fill it adequately when the time comes……

11. December 14th, 2009 | 5:33 pm

Looks like the Sox signed Lackey – five years and “more than Burnett” got, so like $85 million.

Pass.

12. butchie22
      December 14th, 2009 | 5:47 pm

GDH wrote:

@ Steve Lombardi:

GDH, I had mentioned in another post on how sucky John the Lackey can be at that abominable Green monstrosity called Fenway Dump. Then again, he was pitching against the Red Sox not for them. And as anyone knows, that the Fenway crowd can be so intimidating to opposing players because of their obnoxiousness and their proximity to the field. I think they will go with Justin D or Sheets the Injured myself.
      #15 wrote:

Sadly, as it stands right now, we are just another solid playoff contender… with a hole at DH and a questionable 2/5’s of a rotation. We were so close, with either Lackey or Doc, of putting on a run like the Yankees of 36-39 or 49-53 (okay, maybe 5 years in a row is impossible) or 98-2000. We can still win a series or two in the next 2-4 years, but we are not set up to be a dominant team with the question marks in the rotation after CC.

The Yanks were never close to landing Doc EVER! That was hype from the Yankee press corps who have no idea about what’s going on in Toronto. Equally bad was the suggestion that he could go to Los Mets, I almost spit my coffee out when I first heard that utter rubbish over the radio. Bad reportage to say the least…….
      GDH wrote:

GDH, I think that they will hold on to Queen Felix quite honestly. They have the money and the will and supposedly the contract on the table is a team friendly 6 for 100 million dollars a year for the Queen. I think that Mr No 3 Days Rest will bolt and the Yanks or the brain surgeons on the Mets will swallow him up eventually. Or possibly even the Angels……..

13. Corey
      December 14th, 2009 | 6:33 pm

Halladay->Felix is a pretty good 1-2. Too bad they have a crappy team, otherwise. Still might be good enough for the West.

14. GDH
      December 14th, 2009 | 6:47 pm

Of all the remaining scrap-meat left over from the post-Thanksgiving Free Agent Feast, Justin D. (forget spelling that name – good thing our team doesn’t wear them on our backs) is the best bet, but only if it’s a Harden like deal for a year and an option. If he and Sheets think they’re getting 12-13 million per, they’re smoking crack and not sharing. I’m much more pissed that Texas stole Rich Harden than the Sux signed Lackey (unfortunate name if there ever was one).

15. Evan3457
      December 14th, 2009 | 7:30 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

@ Evan3457:

Jumpin’ Jiminy Crackers; this team just won a title, what…6 weeks ago?

16. Evan3457
      December 14th, 2009 | 7:31 pm

butchie22 wrote:

Evan3457 wrote:

It looks like the Phillies gave up Cliff Lee for him.
      Maybe Cashman should’ve offered Sabathia to the Mariners?

17. Evan3457
      December 14th, 2009 | 7:33 pm

Steve Lombardi wrote:

@ Evan3457:

Even if not meant seriously…getting Halladay required giving up Lee,plus a prospect or two…getting Lackey required “buying a title”….getting Lee required….well, let’s see what the Mariners had to give up to get Lee.

18. JeremyM
      December 14th, 2009 | 7:45 pm

As a Yankee fan, nothing that happened today concerned me and frankly, I think Halladay going to Philly for Cliff Lee is basically a lateral move, so in the off chance we have a Series rematch, well, the Yanks have beat them with one ace already.

As far as Lackey, leave it to the Sox to add one of the ugliest players in baseball to go along with their collection of uglies. He’s a good pitcher, but he doesn’t scare me. I don’t think it would’ve been a good move for the Yanks to make and I strongly dislike the guy on a personal level, so I’m fine with this.

Losing Matsui is a blow to the heart, but my mind tells me that it’s better to let him go now rather than later. There are a lot of DH-types out there right now that can be had- Thome, maybe Delgado, Nick Johnson, heck, Johnny Damon. We’ll survive, but it is sad to see Matsui go. Class act all the way and I wish him luck- to a point.

19. GDH
      December 14th, 2009 | 8:16 pm

JeremyM wrote:

Nice call JeremyM! I have always wondered if the Sux had a requirement that you just had to have been whomped with the ugly stick in order to play there. In Lackey’s case, the whole tree fell on him.

The Angels will miss Lackey much more than the Yanks will regret not signing him, if that makes any sense.

20. butchie22
      December 14th, 2009 | 8:19 pm

JeremyM wrote:

As to your point regarding Doc vs Lee….Doc would pitch games 1-4-7 of a 7 game series.So Doc would pitch an extra game. Lee has never pitched on three days rest. Let’s be honest Halladay is a better pitcher than Lee. Would it shock you if the Yanks meet him in the Fall Classic that he would pitch a complete game? I wouldn’t be……

21. Corey
      December 14th, 2009 | 10:23 pm

Corey wrote:

Corey

I obviously meant Lee->King Felix.

I’m not sure I get this trade from a Phillies perspective. Is Doc that much better then Lee and the prospects? I dunno…I guess the opted for 5 years out of doc vs. 7 or 8 of Lee?

22. butchie22
      December 14th, 2009 | 11:47 pm

Corey wrote:

Corey wrote:
      Corey
      I obviously meant Lee->King Felix.

As I’ve mentioned before Amaro has been obsessed on getting Halladay since Gillick was Philly GM. Amaro got Lee last year because the cost was cheaper,kinda like going for a less gorgeous girl because she was the cheaper date! What seems to have happened was that Lee wanted to hit the open market and the Phils weren’t going to pay him premium dollars when fighting against teams like the Yanks and Angels for his services. Now Amaro was able to get the pitcher he really wanted AND lock him up for multiple years without worrying about extending him. And as I keep on saying Halladay starts 1-4-7 of a 7 game playoff series, Mr No 3 Days Rest in the World Series …we saw what happened with that scenario…the Yanks are the 2009 World Champs partly because of his gutlessness.

23. 77yankees
      December 14th, 2009 | 11:54 pm

We all know Cliff Lee will become Yankee by the July 31, 2010 trading deadline.

I’m just kidding……..

I think……….

Maybe.

December 15th, 2009 | 4:41 am

Corey wrote:

Halladay is willing to work out an extension, Lee wants to test the market.

25. BOHAN
      December 15th, 2009 | 2:09 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:
      why r u so pessimistic??? why cant u think that theyre going to be fine??

im happy they didnt get any of them. red sox just over payed lackey big time… phillies barely upgraded in gettin halladay and they depleted their system giving up some real good prospects and the blue jays… well theyre not really a threat right but they made out pretty well i think. in all the philles barely got better and we just beat them red sox pitching got better but i still dont think theyre a better team in all then the yankees all thought they closed the gap and the blue jays will contend with us in a couple years if they keep everyone they just got so im not really worried about them