• Yanks ’10 OF – Go For The Gold (Glove) Approach?

Posted by on December 15th, 2009 · Comments (21)

Today, I found myself recalling that someone, talking about a Yankees outfield…I think it was the 1975 trio of Roy White, Elliott Maddox, and Bobby Bonds?…once made the statement “With those three out there, not even a drop of rain should fall in…”

And, that leads to today’s wild thought: Given the “plus” offense that the Yankees have at C, 1B, 2B, 3B and SS, should they look to set up their 2010 outfield in a way that provides the best defense available – even if it means punting some offense?

Stay with me…and imagine a Yankees outfield next season with Curtis Granderson in left, Brett Gardner in center, and Melky Cabrera in right field. (Here, Nick Swisher would become the Yankees primary D.H. in 2010.)

There’s no question here that Melky in RF would be a monster drop-off, with the bat, compared to what most teams get, offensively, from that spot. And, the jury is still out on Gardner’s stick.

But, there should be little doubt that Granderson-Gardner-Cabrera, in this set-up, with their feet (and Melky’s arm) would be a very nice defensive asset, no? Hey, it’s just a wild thought…take it for what it’s worth…

Comments on Yanks ’10 OF – Go For The Gold (Glove) Approach?

1. Scout
      December 15th, 2009 | 3:02 pm

What you describes sounds much more like the late inning defensive outfield we may see when the Yankees are protecting a lead.

2. Corey
      December 15th, 2009 | 3:54 pm

No offense Steve, but, this is a horrible idea. Gardner and Melky can’t hit enough separately to justify 2 lineup spots. 1, with the other as the 4th OFer, ok. But not both.

3. BOHAN
      December 15th, 2009 | 4:27 pm

not a big fan of this idea, even tho when it comes to the 3 facets of baseball i rank em pitching defense offense. better off having melky granderson swisher and maybe signing nick johnson back to DH if they could. always like nick johnson and whats the chances of him being injury prone just DHing? or DHing posada and letting cervelli catch majority of the games. and im sure ur all going to say something bout loosing even more offense then but cervelli can be a servicable hitter in the 8 or 9 spot and is much better defensively and at the catcher postion thats extremely important to me.

4. BOHAN
      December 15th, 2009 | 4:35 pm

or jack cust as DH. not a big fan of the K’s but out of a dh thats not horrible. not like gettin 150 K’s out of a cf whose supposed to be a leadoff/2 spot type hitter

5. Corey
      December 15th, 2009 | 4:40 pm

BOHAN wrote:

I mentioned him yesterday (or the day before). He seems like a player similar to Swisher.

6. December 15th, 2009 | 4:41 pm

Corey wrote:

No offense Steve, but, this is a horrible idea. .

Hey, it’s a WILD THOUGHT – nothing more…

BTW, Cust is a nightmare – if the Yankees sign him, I’m going to burn my Yankees cap.

7. Corey
      December 15th, 2009 | 4:45 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:
      I don’t honestly know all that much about him. Any reasoning you can share? To me, he seems like the ultimate Cashman signing as he got non-tendered and could prove to be valuable on a short-term, limited role basis (like dh part-time for a year when the regulars aren’t being rested).

8. BOHAN
      December 15th, 2009 | 4:51 pm

cust is kinda similar to swish in my opinion just with more power. 26 33 and 25 hrs in a stadium that is no where near a hitters ball park. imagine him with the short right field porch. and hes from jersey

9. Corey
      December 15th, 2009 | 4:59 pm

BOHAN wrote:

imagine him with the short right field porch. and hes from jersey

About the same number of homers, ask Swisher.

10. Scout
      December 15th, 2009 | 5:04 pm

Cust struck out 185 times last year, about 40 more Ks than Swisher; Cust had an OBP of .348, while Swisher was.371. Among Yankee regulars and semi-regulars, only Cabrera and Gardener had a lower OBP than Cust. He’s a black hole in the line-up, sucking in any rally unfortunate enough to wander into his gravitational sphere. No thanks, I’ll pass on him.

11. December 15th, 2009 | 5:15 pm

@ Corey:#1 – Cust a “pure” DH in the sense that you would rather have a blind, old, three-legged cow in the OF over him…he’s that much of a nightmare out there.

#2 – He’s a PED cheat – so you have to question his power source and break-down potential.

#3 – He’s the poster child for “walk, strikeout, or homer and NOTHING ELSE” – and he’s not going to get walked in the Yankees deep line-up…so, sure, maybe he’ll hit 30 HRs, esp at the NYS, but it will come with 200 Ks.

12. Corey
      December 15th, 2009 | 6:25 pm

@ Steve Lombardi:
      PED stuff…I had forgotten about that, honestly. That doesn’t really affect me on a 1 year deal. He probably would get an extremely low base salary having been non-tendered by the A’s. So if he breaks down, let him go. Worst case scenario is your plan, which I could live with if a risk doesn’t pan out.

As for points 1 and 3..1,. Yea. Do we need a guy that can play the field? He’d be the 25th man on the roster. Sure, it’d be nice. But the 25th man on the roster shouldn’t be getting all that much playing time, anyway.

3 I am well aware of, that’s why I made the Nick Swisher comparison. If Swisher’s walk rate didn’t drop, I don’t see why Cust’s would. My line-up with Cust:

1)Jeter
      2)Cano
      3)Tex
      4)A-Rod
      5)Granderson
      6)Posada
      7)Swisher
      8)Cust
      9)Melky

13. Corey
      December 15th, 2009 | 6:37 pm

Scout wrote:

Ya, you’re right. Let’s disregard career numbers completely, and go only based on last year. Since he had a bad 2008, I guess you’d say Swisher is an even bigger black hole. I mean, OMG he had only a .332 OBP!!!

14. Corey
      December 15th, 2009 | 6:59 pm

And although I mentioned it already, I’ll do it again. I’m not talking about 162 games of Cust at the DH spot. I’m talking about when no regulars are DHing, he is the one who DHs. Otherwise he rides pine and pinch hits. I mean…this WAS their plan, no?

15. Scout
      December 15th, 2009 | 9:02 pm

@ Corey:
      Curb the sarcasm. Over the past three years, in one of which he played only 124 games, he’s averaged 182 strike-outs per year. And inthe year when he played in 124 games — which seems to be what you have in mind when the older regulars rest — he still managed to whiff 164 times. Over that time, his OBP has trended steadily downward. As I said in my first comment, I’ll pass on Jack Cust. You are certainly entitled to differ.

16. 77yankees
      December 15th, 2009 | 10:08 pm

With Juan Pierre off to play in Chicago with the White Sox, one potential trading option for Gardner is gone.

Guess Cashman is hoping Gardner will turn into a .330, 70 SB guy like he’s hoping Kei Igawa will finally blossom into a 20 game winner.

17. Evan3457
      December 16th, 2009 | 1:40 am

77yankees wrote:

What’s wrong with keeping Gardner as a defensive replacement/pinch runner/part-time OF while his service time is low, and his salary is cheap? Unless the Yanks get offered something of value, I don’t see the need to just dump him.

================================
      I would say, at this point, NO to Cust.

Having one Nick Swisher in the lineup is fine. A Swisher and a Granderson, OK, because Granderson can play some defense, and has hit better than .249 in the past. But one more “three true outcomes” hitter in the lineup tips the balance. Too many all or nothing hitters. No, the guy they sign to DH must be a high average hitter (.280 or better, preferably more like .300 or better) without a very high K rate. I would’ve opposed signing Cameron for the same reason, albeit at a lower level than Cust. Preferably, the guy they sign should also draw BB. He need not be a big HR hitter, but he must be productive. Ideally, it’s Damon for $10 million or less for no longer than 1 year with a team option.

Cust might be productive, but…he’s older than Swisher (believe it or not), he has huge negative defensive value, and should not be played in the field, meaning the team will have to keep 4 or 5 outfielders besides him, and he’s more extreme in K’s than Swisher. He’ll hit a few more HRs, far fewer doubles, and his BAVG will be as bad or worse. Worst of all, he’ll tie up the DH slot, which was the point of not re-signing Matsui.

If the Yanks are going to sign Cust (or Vlad, for that matter), then they should’ve signed Matsui, and let it go at that.

18. Corey
      December 16th, 2009 | 9:12 am

Evan3457 wrote:

Is that not the plan anyway?
      Evan3457 wrote:

You’re not reading what I’m saying.

And if you’ve listened to me in the past, I’ve heavily advocated Matsui re-signing.

19. clintfsu813
      December 16th, 2009 | 9:48 am

@ Evan3457:

Other than Damon, who would fit this mold? Nick Johnson?

20. BOHAN
      December 16th, 2009 | 7:14 pm

man i really started a hell of an arguement bringing upo cust. i actually suggested signing nick johnsons or having posada dh and cervelli catch before i would sign cust. to me cust would be more of a backup plan. i agree with corey in that ur only using him to, number 1, DH and number 2, only when ur not using that spot for some like jete or arod or posada or tex. wouldnt be a catostrophic signing i dont think.

21. BOHAN
      December 16th, 2009 | 7:19 pm

@ clintfsu813:
      since when is a dh supposed to hit .280 or .300. if your looking for that you’ll find exactly 2 players who was a regular dh and hit over .280. adam lind and jason kubel each hitting .305 and .300 respectively. a dh is supposed to be ur typical power hitter guy who hits hrs and drives in runs. so good luck and have fun finding ur .300 hitting dh out there.